Kris Richard dilemma

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When we fired Wade during the season and Garrett took over we had an uptick in wins. Was it from Garrett or was it from the shock of their head coach getting fired and JJ saying that all the players jobs were on the line for the next. I think that it had more with the sense of urgency that went through the locker room than anything Garrett did but he got credit for turning them around and 9 years later here we are. So no let him finish the year and take your time choosing the next coach.

I don't need an uptick, I need an evaluation. Of whether or not Richard can be that guy and whether or not he can do anything to turn this thing around. It's painfully obvious these other guys can't. I'm not suggesting Richard get a contract extension the day Garrett is rightfully fired, I'm suggesting that you get a multi-month look to decide if he can be the guy that deserves one.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I don't need an uptick, I need an evaluation. Of whether or not Richard can be that guy and whether or not he can do anything to turn this thing around. It's painfully obvious these other guys can't. I'm not suggesting Richard get a contract extension the day Garrett is rightfully fired, I'm suggesting that you get a multi-month look to decide if he can be the guy that deserves one.

Again why do we want someone that's already here? We need an offensive hc and give him a 1st round pick as a qb and lets get this show on the road. What has Richard done that makes you think that he can be a head coach? Because he's fiesty?

aria

Reaction score
I think the secondary looks vastly improved. Are they perfect, absolutely not, but you have two safeties that wouldn't start for any other team in the league starting for us.
Vastly improved? Is that why we’re one of the worst in the league in take aways and turnovers?

In passing offense we were beat by a team that is ranked 27th (Seattle), Carolina (25th) and Houston (7th). We barely beat Detroit (16th) and beat one of the worst teams in the league, NY (17th). Most of their O lines suck too which you would think would help us do better at defending the pass.

Edit: Not to mention, beimg that we basically threw a bunch of rookies out there last year I would assume they would be better.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you look at the stats, we are actually worse in the passing department. Football Outsiders has us below our 2017 ranking for pass D. Our passer rating defense is 27th (we were 26th last year). And note, we are earning these stats trotting out a CB in Byron Jones who has arguably played like a Top 5-7 CB.

Awuzie hasn't made the leap some thought he would make. He looked much better in the preseason. And we have a safety problem for sure. The Heath lovers should admit the obvious - he's an average S. And Woods? Who knows. I thought he'd be a bit better than this.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Go back and read. 11:44 AM EST

I'm assuming you meant 11:14 this is what you said "After 5 games, it's very difficult to get a very accurate picture of pass defense.

Why because pass defense can be measured in a lot of different ways.

Cowboys are 3rd in pass touchdowns allowed. Twelfth in yards allowed in the air.

They haven't gotten interceptions, but why is that? Is it because teams come in here thinking, let's not turn the ball over because we aren't going to be in a shoot out?

How many rookie QBs have we played? That has a big influence as well. Are you basing it on QB Rating?"

Lol show me where you tried answering either? You asked four questions and made two statements about it being hard to guage a defense.
Also being 12th in pass yards allowed despite facing only the 11th most pass attempts is a negative. We on average should be 11th in pass yards allowed, but we are worse than that.

Like I said, I recongize you dont know why you said either of those things and I accept it

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again why do we want someone that's already here?

Maybe because he's the best option we currently have? A guy with an actual track record of success and a Super Bowl championship with two appearances, within this decade.

We need an offensive hc and give him a 1st round pick as a qb and lets get this show on the road.

Is that the magic formula? Or the only one that will work? I'm not locked in to that.

What has Richard done that makes you think that he can be a head coach? Because he's fiesty?

Maybe you never heard of the guy before he got here? If so, here's some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Richard

CPanther95

Reaction score
Richard and Sanjay Lal were offseason superheroes in the minds of Cowboys ' fans because they needed to be to have any hope for the upcoming season.

If Garrett goes, better to ignore the Richard hype, take a step back and start the search for a new head coach for 2019 without anything/anyone from the current regime restricting your search.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Richard adopted a defense that was 1st in points in yards allowed in 2013 & 2014

Here are Richard's rankings while DC in Seattle:
2015- Yards 2nd and Points 1st
2016- Yards 5th and Points 3rd
2017- Yards 11th and Points 13

How much is attributed to player loss and DC loss?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Richard and Sanjay Lal were offseason superheroes in the minds of Cowboys ' fans because they needed to be to have any hope for the upcoming season.

If Garrett goes, better to ignore the Richard hype, take a step back and start the search for a new head coach for 2019 without anything/anyone from the current regime restricting your search.

Yep. And every assistant we lost wasn't good in the eyes of the fans. Yet our Oline coach was an obvious step backwards.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Can we see him get the secondary in order before elevating him to run the team? Good Lord, better than Garrett is a low bar to set for the next HC. What has Richard done in his career to earn such lofty promotion?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think we have a Kris Richard dilemma.

He almost certainly needs to be the next head coach of this team. I would have liked a more experienced head coach, but it probably needs to be him. He has a connection with these defensive players and despite a few positions, they're playing decently well.

The dilemma is that I don't think you can hire a new head coach and then tell them Kris Richard is your defensive coordinator. You just can't do it (Jerry would do it, but it isn't the right move).

So either you elevate Richard or you lose a very talented coach, and maybe the latter is the better move.

Pete Carmichael Jr., Josh McDaniels, and Jim Harbaugh are all very high on my list.

When I think of the lack of experience Richard has, I remember he has a decade of coaching experience compared to the five years experience Garrett had before becoming the head coach. He's also had tremendous success whereas Garrett had not.

My biggest worry with Richard becoming head coach is if he doesn't clean house across the coaching staff.
sorry, he almost certainly doesn't need to be the next head coach...yeah yeah yeah, you like I'm yelling at the players and that makes him a good coach....so far the DBs results have been mixed. he had some great talent in Seattle to work with, but as a coach its what you can do with good talent, not just great.... I think logically his next step up is to be a DC.

I am not high on Jim Harbaugh. he had success in SF, and then been average since. he also wears out his welcome very quickly anywhere he goes.

I am on the fence with Josh McDaniels. for couple of reasons. he looks like a genius because he has GOAT at QB and a great head coach helping him. without them he fizzled badly. second, there has not been any coach from Bilicheck tree that has been successful in the NFL, past and current, so it seems like Bilicheck at the helm is what makes those guys good.

I didn't think about Carmichael, but he is worked with Peyton, so he brings some of that innovative offensive scheme with him.

I like perhaps a combination of Schwartz (eagles DC) as head coach, with Kris Richard as DC, both with very aggressive defensive philosophy and then Jay Gruden (probably get fired as head coach in DC) as OC. I like his passing game scheme. perhaps Lincoln Riley can be the OC, bring some fast pace, innovative offensive mindset to the team, get his feet wet and prep for his NFL HC gig.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
While I agree with you completely, and even if the new Coach were to demand that he get to keep Richards, the talking heads would say Jerry is hiring his new coaches staff. A lot of the talking heads on this board would agree.

A lot of the talking heads on this board can't tell their butthole from their elbow either ;)

birdwells1

Reaction score
Maybe because he's the best option we currently have? A guy with an actual track record of success and a Super Bowl championship with two appearances, within this decade.

Is that the magic formula? Or the only one that will work? I'm not locked in to that.

Maybe you never heard of the guy before he got here? If so, here's some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Richard

I'm sorry but I clicked on his wiki page and just wasn't impress for him as a head coach, this is my criticism of Garrett he didn't learn under a diversity of coaches. I mean what has he done outside of Pete Carroll, I just believe that this off season i heard a lot about Richard and I just haven't seen the production on the field i.e. turnovers. I will give him credit for moving Jones to cb that was a great idea. We need a fresh start and a fresh voice.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I’m challenging you guys to apply the same standards to both guys so that we’re talking about the same things when we criticize coaching.

If pointing out the obvious differences in standards is defending one guy v another in your mind, I can’t help that. My stance on both guys is the same because I’m always saying that it’s the players who win and lose games in the NFL.

Honestly, I understand your point, but let's not pretend you're judging both guys by the same standard, we're both smarter than that.

You believe in Garrett, and that's fine, but you can stand by him without making it seem illogical that others would be ready for change.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sorry but I clicked on his wiki page and just wasn't impress for him as a head coach, this is my criticism of Garrett he didn't learn under a diversity of coaches. I mean what has he done outside of Pete Carroll, I just believe that this off season i heard a lot about Richard and I just haven't seen the production on the field i.e. turnovers. I will give him credit for moving Jones to cb that was a great idea. We need a fresh start and a fresh voice.

I wouldn't hate that scenario either. It's either we give Richard a shot or nobody. Clear the decks completely and entirely. Nobody survives this.

aria

Reaction score
sorry, he almost certainly doesn't need to be the next head coach...yeah yeah yeah, you like I'm yelling at the players and that makes him a good coach....so far the DBs results have been mixed. he had some great talent in Seattle to work with, but as a coach its what you can do with good talent, not just great.... I think logically his next step up is to be a DC.

I am not high on Jim Harbaugh. he had success in SF, and then been average since. he also wears out his welcome very quickly anywhere he goes.

I am on the fence with Josh McDaniels. for couple of reasons. he looks like a genius because he has GOAT at QB and a great head coach helping him. without them he fizzled badly. second, there has not been any coach from Bilicheck tree that has been successful in the NFL, past and current, so it seems like Bilicheck at the helm is what makes those guys good.

I didn't think about Carmichael, but he is worked with Peyton, so he brings some of that innovative offensive scheme with him.

I like perhaps a combination of Schwartz (eagles DC) as head coach, with Kris Richard as DC, both with very aggressive defensive philosophy and then Jay Gruden (probably get fired as head coach in DC) as OC. I like his passing game scheme. perhaps Lincoln Riley can be the OC, bring some fast pace, innovative offensive mindset to the team, get his feet wet and prep for his NFL HC gig.
I strongly dislike Shwartz’s personality but that’s immediately who came to mind. Richard at DC is worth a shot but I think Gruden is an idiot, I’ve seen him make too many bone headed decisions. Not a bad lineup though.

Screw McDaniels, plus I don’t think it would ever work. There’s not enough room in the state of TX for his and Jerry’s ego. I think he may be the HC in waiting for NE where he can run the team the way he wants, not the way Jerry wants.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Can we see him get the secondary in order before elevating him to run the team? Good Lord, better than Garrett is a low bar to set for the next HC. What has Richard done in his career to earn such lofty promotion?
It doesn't take much to become HC of the Dallas Cowboys.;)