News: Kurt Warner on Dez Bryant: 'We know he's got unique talent, but he's not a great route runner'

CCBoy

Reaction score
Made a mistake in posting, please delete...

Putting in my own words:

Kurt Warner did an interview in which he was asked about the Dez Bryant. He stated that he felt like Dez was a very talented receiver, but he ran poor routes. That made it not much of an advantage when Dallas attempted to rely upon him for a specific play. There was not enough creativity involved with the Dallas selections, to give the Zak Prescott and Dez play selection opportunity for success.

No single receiver for Dallas, consistently stood out and dominated no matter what the situation was...or developed.

That can improve, but is not guaranteed...

Dez signed a $70 million dollar contract back in 2015 and after 3 seasons, he has not lived up to that contract.

Dallas has already paid the guaranteed $45 million and owe him for his salary over this and next season. That with a cap hit of $16.5 million each year...and the base salary is $12.5 million a season.

If Dez refuses to renegotiate, then Dallas may be forced to retain him, but must still improved their own ability to challenge opposing defenses better...anyway.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Stuff like this is why I know Garrett is gone soon. And if by miracle he stays another year after Dez is cut and Dez performs and shows route running ability :hammer:
Dez has been unable to run good routes in the 8 years he's been in the league so far. What makes you believe he would suddenly be able to now at the old age of 30?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don’t release Dez Bryant, trade him says one publication, and they figured out who needs him
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ublication-and-they-figured-out-who-needs-him

...So who do the Cowboys trade for in this fantasy land of swapping? A familiar name.

Safety Earl Thomas

Now is the time for the Seahawks to sell high. Thomas is only 28 years old and has a year remaining on his current contract. The rest of the defense is falling apart, with major or career-threatening injuries to Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril.

The financial aspect of this potential deal will be a little difficult to navigate since the Cowboys only have enough cap space at the moment to re-sign defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. Although, a Dez Bryant trade or release creates an avenue toward Thomas’ acquisition.

Maybe the Cowboys should just send Dez to the Seahawks and cut out the middle-man. If only the NFL were like other leagues where these kinds of trades were a regular thing. That would certainly spice up the offseason.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Dez and the term "Precise route runner" have never been used in the same sentence. If Dez had put in the time like Irvin did to run precise routes he would have been a top ten receiver of all time. Natural god given talent is there for sure.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Poor route running didn't cause him to drop all the passes he dropped. Just my opinion, and I know I might get blasted for saying it, but he got lazy after he got his big pay increase. He'll start playing better when its time for a contract renewal..

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Poor route running didn't cause him to drop all the passes he dropped. Just my opinion, and I know I might get blasted for saying it, but he got lazy after he got his big pay increase. He'll start playing better when its time for a contract renewal..

Where did you read that he got lazy?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Dez did not get lazy, the offense was coached scared. Whether it was Bell, or the line, or the bad use of a QB, the coaching bottled up after the Atlanta thrashing. I woul have said Denver but they rebounded. Atlanta crushed our season. Sad, since you never take Atlanta serious.