LaDanian Tomlinson is...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I have lost nothing, because there was nothing to lose. This whole thread is predicated on opinions, something you and your buddy Hostile dont seem to grasp.
Oh I grasp it, no problem. Opinions are just like armpits, everyone's got a couple and some of them stink.

I have no problem with the opinion LT is the best in the NFL right now. Most complete "ever" is another animal altogether.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
If 109 career TDs isnt substance, than nothing is

TDs win games, they are the most important things in football.
Brown scored 106 in fewer games, averaged more yards per carry, had his season yards in 4 fewer games per season than Barry, etc.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Jim Brown could be pretty elusive, but he preferred to run over people. He did have an edge in that at 235 lbs he was bigger then most of the D- even the D line at that time was usually only around 250 or so. But he was so fast compared to most- even CB's had a hard time catching him. And he hit so hard that many secondary players flat out avoided trying to do anything but jump on his back and try and ride him down; they never tried to take him on head to head. He DOMINATED the games he played in; just flat out dominated.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Brown scored 106 in fewer games, averaged more yards per carry, had his season yards in 4 fewer games per season than Barry, etc.

That's great, I never said Sanders had more substance, but the poster I quoted said Sanders didnt have any substance, which is blatantly false.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
No way in hell was Sayers more elusive/shifty then Sanders. Seriously, anyone that believes taht simply doesn't know the game or they're full of themselves.

Sayers was extremely elusive/shify, but not as much as Sanders.

:rolleyes:

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I have to agree it's hard to compare players if you were to young to see one of them play. The only thing you can base it on is the stats and the minimal highlight's you would see.

It would be like me saying Emmitt was better then J.Brown,I was to young to see J.Brown play. Then I would have to use stats to compare or justify my opinion.

The bottom line is LT is a special player,however he has a ways to go to be Held in Payton's league. Only time will tell :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
That's great, I never said Sanders had more substance, but the poster I quoted said Sanders didnt have any substance, which is blatantly false.
I wouldn't want Barry Sanders on my football team. But that's just me. I think the Lions lost because he left them 2nd and long and 3rd and long way too much with all that dancing. I'll take the guy who runs for the hard yard any day. That to me is substance.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I wouldn't want Barry Sanders on my football team. But that's just me. I think the Lions lost because he left them 2nd and long and 3rd and long way too much with all that dancing. I'll take the guy who runs for the hard yard any day. That to me is substance.

Without Sanders, Detroit might have been the worst team EVER for a good number of the eyars he was there.

He was the Detroit Lions for a decade.

burmafrd

Reaction score
TOdays players are bigger faster and have better training, etc no doubt. But to say they are better players is to only look at the physical side. PLayers up to the 70's, outside of the stars, had to hold down jobs in the offseason since pay was pretty low.
They played because they loved to play- money was not that big a deal. You cannot compare attitude and love of the game and all those intangibles to the way it is now.
The shorter seasons also helped in that they players were not as worn down as they are now. Teams stayed together for years; there was little movement from team to team. The D had a huge advantage back then: the secondary could just about mug the recievers, the head slap, the O line could not use their hands, and so on. That did not change untill the 1978 season, when the new rules that ushered in the passing era took effect. Also that was when the 16 game season started. It was 12 up untill 1960.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Without Sanders, Detroit might have been the worst team EVER for a good number of the eyars he was there.

He was the Detroit Lions for a decade.
You can have him. There are at least 2 dozen RBs I'd prefer. There is a reason why they won more games the year he stabbed them in the back.

blindzebra

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
TOdays players are bigger faster and have better training, etc no doubt. But to say they are better players is to only look at the physical side. PLayers up to the 70's, outside of the stars, had to hold down jobs in the offseason since pay was pretty low.
They played because they loved to play- money was not that big a deal. You cannot compare attitude and love of the game and all those intangibles to the way it is now.
The shorter seasons also helped in that they players were not as worn down as they are now. Teams stayed together for years; there was little movement from team to team. The D had a huge advantage back then: the secondary could just about mug the recievers, the head slap, the O line could not use their hands, and so on. That did not change untill the 1978 season, when the new rules that ushered in the passing era took effect. Also that was when the 16 game season started. It was 12 up untill 1960.

That argument will have no effect.

I know I used it in the Jim Brown thread.

We are all just wasting our time.;)

burmafrd

Reaction score
Anyone who has watched film of Gale Sayers knows that he had it all over Sanders int he open field. He did things that had to be seen to be believed. It was like everyone else was in slo-mo and he was running at normal. And he did not go side to side, he was always moving forward.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
HH I'm gonna have to agree with Hos, because I saw Walter play back in the early 80s and he played with some gosh awful Chi teams... He was the consummate pro...

Now on to LT... I absolutely wished that Dallas had a top 5 pick that year... I absolutely still to this day covet LT and his awesome skills, he has no ego, he is a humble guy, and he can absolutely dominate teams... I so wished that Jerrah made some great moves in order to secure a RB of his stature. Emmitt or no Emmitt on our roster...

HH... I would compare the athletic ability of Payton and LT as comparaitvely a tie... hands down... Now the physicality between the two I have to choose Payton... If you don't believe that, then you really do need to go pick up a DVD and see for yourself...

Payton would give you a juke, outrun you and forearm the next defender in line to tackle him... It's no wonder that Payton turned to one of his O-linemen in the huddle and told him to block the next guy instead of the one in front of him... Why? He beat the first guy and was able to make a good play better when he beat the second guy who was blocked...

All numbers aside, I think LT can run the RB numbers crazy, and probably surpass Payton, but all opinions aside Walter Payton was an incredible RB and an incredible human being... The very same thing can be said of Tomlinson...

Go get your sweetness DVD, if you don't want to... enjoy watching LT highlights.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You can have him. There are at least 2 dozen RBs I'd prefer. There is a reason why they won more games the year he stabbed them in the back.

Wait, so now you're blaming the Lions struggles ON Barry Sanders?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Wait, wait, wait......

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Anyone who has watched film of Gale Sayers knows that he had it all over Sanders int he open field. He did things that had to be seen to be believed. It was like everyone else was in slo-mo and he was running at normal. And he did not go side to side, he was always moving forward.

:rolleyes:

What a load of crap.

Old guys always say the old timers were better then "todays" players.

In 20 years guys will be saying Emmitt was the greatest ever despite what any RB in the NFL is doing at that time.

Whatever. No one, NO ONE, is "Right" here. It's all just opinions anyway.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
David, Emmitt was not the RB Payton was, or Sanders was, or even LT is.

Emmitt was a very good back running behind the greatest O-Line ever

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rack, go look at some of Sayers runs before you embarrass yourself more then you already have.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Oh boy, here we go.... :rolleyes:

here we go with what? somebody else that doesnt like the truth?

I love LT's game, but Emmitt was the most complete back in football for years...ran with pwer and quickness, broke long runs, was an awesome red zone runner, great receiver and a terrific blocker vs the blitz...the guy also played through alot of injuries that would have sidelined normal backs...he was awesome

David