La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Zordon

Reaction score
i can't see him making a decision for a couple of days. if he's innocent, i can't imagine how distraught he must feel right now.

Hailmary

Reaction score
We don't really need him at this point

I would kick the tires but not go crazy

I strongly disagree. 1) He would immediately be better than what we already have at RT. 2) We can trade him for a first next year if we choose not to keep him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Does he have bad knees or does he get a big contract? We'll deal with Leary when we have to.

It won't take nothing to sign Collins, but if it does then go for it.

Both. Some team will pay him too. Dealing with things before you have to is how you don't catch yourself in reactive situations like we have recently.

Collins upgrades the team long term and maybe even short term and saves us a lot of money in the process.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You can get around that by guaranteeing his base salary. That's how the Cowboys got Leary. They guaranteed him 205,000 of that for him to sign.

The rule for the guaranteed money I believe came after the Leary signing.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
i can't see him making a decision for a couple of days. if he's innocent, i can't imagine how distraught he must feel right now.

Agreed, but it still has to move on, and hopefully we can benefit from the situation rather than another team benefiting from it. You look at how we got Dez or Gregory and sometimes you have to get fortunate to get these players.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I strongly disagree. 1) He would immediately be better than what we already have at RT. 2) We can trade him for a first next year if we choose not to keep him.

We aren't the only team aware of these things.

We had 3 7ths if we really wanted him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Thanks for looking at the big picture. You should never balk at getting talented players for basically nothing. There is always value in having them as starters, backups (depth) or for trades.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It seems obvious to me that teams are going to take a wait and see approach to see how the murder investigation turns out. I cannot blame them as he might have a Carruth style motive if the child turns out to be his. Too much uncertainty.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Outside of playing Guard he could very well be our future right tackle.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
It seems obvious to me that teams are going to take a wait and see approach to see how the murder investigation turns out. I cannot blame them as he might have a Carruth style motive if the child turns out to be his. Too much uncertainty.

Teams that want to wait for an official clearing will find themselves losing out on a free 1st round draft pick. You get him now, and let the dust clear. If things develop in the wrong way, you can cut him easily.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I would've called his bluff.

Sitting out a year without playing doesn't automatically improve his stock.

He would have been cleared by this time in the next draft assuming he is innocent, that would certainly help his draft stock.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Maximum bonus for UDFAs is 80k a year for an entire team.

Is there a salary cap on UDFA? If not, I think one could creatively work around that. They gave Leary $214,000 in guaranteed salary and bonus a fee years ago so it looks like they can find a way to make a good offer if they want

yimyammer

Reaction score
Teams that want to wait for an official clearing will find themselves losing out on a free 1st round draft pick. You get him now, and let the dust clear. If things develop in the wrong way, you can cut him easily.

No brainer, this seems like the type of deal they like to make. Surely they're at least kicking tires

Last edited:

Zordon

Reaction score
Agreed, but it still has to move on, and hopefully we can benefit from the situation rather than another team benefiting from it. You look at how we got Dez or Gregory and sometimes you have to get fortunate to get these players.

i'm with you man. i'm not one of these holier than thou fans who worries 24/7 about the perception of this franchise. they hate us regardless what we do.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Maybe at this risk level, we shall see. He did keep on sliding.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Is there a salary cap on UDFA? If not, I think one could creatively work around that. They gave Leary $214,000 in guaranteed salary and bonus a fee years ago so it looks like they can find a way to make a good offer if they want

Not sure if there is a salary max or just the signing bonus max. Not sure if guaranteed money can be made in lieu of signing bonus max.

If it is a way around it, let's do it. We'll see I guess.

I would be afraid of guaranteeing too much. The contract would have to be worded that if he is on the roster at the start of the season, then his salary is guaranteed for X dollars.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Maybe at this risk level, we shall see. He did keep on sliding.

Well I think he slid because teams didn't like the situation and didn't want to waste a draft pick on someone who might be going to jail and who might not play for you if you draft him...

As an UDFA we don't have to worry about these variables.