La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He officially was undrafted, that means he is an UFA and free to sign with any team.

If he was drafted, then the team that drafted him would have his rights for 1 year and he would have had the option to renter the draft next year after sitting the season out.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a salary max or just the signing bonus max. Not sure if guaranteed money can be made in lieu of signing bonus max.

If it is a way around it, let's do it. We'll see I guess.

I would be afraid of guaranteeing too much. The contract would have to be worded that if he is on the roster at the start of the season, then his salary is guaranteed for X dollars.

I'd make the language out in such a way that he would receive bonuses when he was completely exonerated, someone else was convicted, etc, etc.

Seems to me if he is completely innocent then he would happily agree to some of his money being contingent upon exoneration, etc

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If he becomes a suspect or is found guilty you can certainly cut the guy, but a guard with a 1st round grade on him, basically for free shouldn't be ignored just because of the circumstances at this point.

I don't think he would want to sign more than a one year deal and he will want to go to a place where he can start.

This might be our long term answer rather than investing long term in Leary. We could suggest to Collins that we would give him the same amount in base salary that he would gotten in the first round or we could sign him to a one year deal. The bonus money will be limited even if we give him the full maximum bonus.

In a year where we have drastically undervalued the running back position, we should take every effort to maximize the short term and long term quality of our offensive line. The Cowboys should get this done.

There is very little risk here, outside of losing on other UDFAs.

The article I read suggests he is not a suspect. Things could change as they sometimes do.

But, taking a flyer on him at this point with a huge pay-off or cutting him is intriguing. A bold move here could pay off.

Bizwah

Reaction score
There is only so much $$allocated to draft picks. There is a risk here. We can stand pat in this first wave of UDFA, and wait (he's pretty much said he's waiting until Monday to sign). Or, we can go on as usual and do our stellar job in UDFA.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'd make the language out in such a way that he would receive bonuses when he was completely exonerated, someone else was convicted, etc, etc.

Seems to me if he is completely innocent then he would happily agree to some of his money being contingent upon exoneration, etc

Have to look at it from both sides. You have to make him the most competitive offer.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nobody is going to touch this kid until he is officially cleared of any involvement at all..............we are not talking about drugs or domestic violence here, we are talking about murder.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
There is only so much $$allocated to draft picks. There is a risk here. We can stand pat in this first wave of UDFA, and wait (he's pretty much said he's waiting until Monday to sign). Or, we can go on as usual and do our stellar job in UDFA.

I don't think the money allocated to draft picks has anything to do with UDFAs.

I see no risk here. I think we should pursue him aggressively.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Pretend for a minute that you are either Jerry, Stephen, Garrett or McClay. Collins' has been cleared of any wrong doing and he is ready to sign as a UDFA. You have his agent on the phone. Let's hear your best pitch as to why he should be wearing the star on his helmet.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Pretend for a minute that you are either Jerry, Stephen, Garrett or McClay. Collins' has been cleared of any wrong doing and he is ready to sign as a UDFA. You have his agent on the phone. Let's hear your best pitch as to why he should be wearing the star on his helmet.

I would suggest that your premise is mistaken. Any team waiting for him to be cleared isn't going to get him.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Have to look at it from both sides. You have to make him the most competitive offer.

Give him two offers:

1) Highest bonus I'm willing to risk but with a moderate salary over 3-4 years

2) Same bonus but build in incentives he can easily earn and contingencies to protect the team which if he meets and his name is cleared could earn him up to the same amount as say the 31st selection in this draft made

and then tell him "you pick"

All of this would be contingent upon the team actually having him rated as high as he has been reported to be selected had his issues not come up

Hardline

Reaction score
We will pay you league minimum but give you a huge check under the table.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
We won't sign him but will instead sign a 5"11, 342 lb guard from Montana Tech who scouts say has really good feet.