La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

hairic

Reaction score
He's basically a team's player for the first four years.

Two seasons or less = ERFA (minimal salary).
Three seasons = RFA
Four seasons = UFA

He's probably gonna get signed for a 3 year contract with salaries that escalate above ERFA money. If he signs a contract shorter than three years thinking he'll get a chance, he's submitting himself to be really screwed. Undrafted leading to three seasons of minimal salary, one medium salary when he gets a 1st/1st&3rd tender (assuming he's good) in RFA, and no real signing bonus.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Why would he come here? We have Free and Smith at OT and we just drafted two OTs. I'm guessing his agent would be steering him elsewhere.

romothesavior

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the case against him is, other than a girl he used to date is now dead? I haven't seen anything that actually purports to link him to the crime, and he's not officially a suspect. If he is cleared, then wow... he got screwed.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Collins would start over Free and add one more first round talent to that monster offensive line.

Just like Jonathan Cooper would have started for the Cardinals? :) He was a top ten pick for the Cardinals two years ago and can't sniff playing time. Beaten out by an undrafted FA.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Pretend for a minute that you are either Jerry, Stephen, Garrett or McClay. Collins' has been cleared of any wrong doing and he is ready to sign as a UDFA. You have his agent on the phone. Let's hear your best pitch as to why he should be wearing the star on his helmet.

I believe he tried to withdraw from the draft after the 3rd Rd and will be available in 2016.

Edit: I guess he can't enter 2016 draft.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...lins-police-to-schedule-interview-after-draft

La'el Collins, police to schedule interview after draft
LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins and Baton Rouge (Louisiana) Police have resolved to schedule an interview after the NFL draft, Cpl. Don Coppola told NFL Media's Albert Breer on Thursday. No date or time has been set.

Further in the article:

"He's not a suspect, but we are seeking to question him," Coppola told Breer Tuesday. "He knew the victim. We're not sure of the exact nature of the relationship. But for the investigation and through the investigation, we're exhausting all avenues to locate this young lady's killer."

Collins is not the only person they have reached out to regarding this ongoing investigation, Coppola told NFL Media. Coppola emphasized that Collins is not being singled out and that this is standard procedure regarding an investigation of this nature.

Hailmary

Reaction score
If we sign him our 3rd round pick was a complete waste IMO

Not at all. Green can eventually move to guard (Leary's contract is up after this year) or remain the swing tackle. We can choose to trade Collins, and if cleared of all wrong doing I imagine there will be teams interested. Imagine the flexibility we'll have next year with 2 first rounders. If we choose to draft Romo's successor, we can package the 2 firsts to move up for a guy like Hackenburg.

Hardline

Reaction score
Just like Jonathan Cooper would have started for the Cardinals? :) He was a top ten pick for the Cardinals two years ago and can't sniff playing time. Beaten out by an undrafted FA.

Collins is not Cooper

AzorAhai

Reaction score
We like you enough to kick our newly signed 3 year $15 million RT to the bench and you get to play beside an All-Pro RG.

Also on his 3 year (or is it 4 for udfa) I would guarantee the entire base salary.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
resized_grammer-cat-meme-generator-excuse-me-you-re-814664.jpg

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Pretend for a minute that you are either Jerry, Stephen, Garrett or McClay. Collins' has been cleared of any wrong doing and he is ready to sign as a UDFA. You have his agent on the phone. Let's hear your best pitch as to why he should be wearing the star on his helmet.

"La'el - you are no son of Jorel and you do not come from planet Kypton. Thus you are no superman - and thus you cannot enter the draft next year.

But if you sign with the Cowboys and put a star on your helmet - you will become the superman that the Cowboys nation wants you to be. Come and join the the Cowboys and fulfill your destiny."

You said you wanted a pitch so you got it.