La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think writers like to throw the Cowboys name into the mix just to stir the pot and get people's attention.

Notice how every big-time player who gets cut or who has a curiosity-factor attached to him is rumored to be of interest to the Cowboys?

You want to get people talking? Mention Collins possibly joining the best offensive line in the NFL, and this after we basically "stole" Hardy off the free agency market and Randy Gregory in the second round of the draft.

You betcha fans are sweating us landing Collins too, whether the interest is real or the imagined scenario of creative writers.

The writers often get those "tips" from an agent who believes that type of name dropping, even if completely false, are helpful for their client getting more competition for their services.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Sorry, the real reach is coming from people like you who honest and for true think Dallas is a front runner.

It is so like the Adrian Peterson fairy tale as no matter what factual information exists to the contrary, hope is all you have.

Hope is a good thing. - Red. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The writers often get those "tips" from an agent who believes that type of name dropping, even if completely false, are helpful for their client getting more competition for their services.

True. That's another angle I hadn't considered.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Obviously. You should mention Tampa Bay and Miam and make yourself look uninformed and foolish again.

Not likely. I see where you're slanted.

And Dallas wouldn't? That's like saying they wouldn't take Mariota if he were available today either because they didn't do enough research (on a player they felt they had no shot at).

You're desperately reaching here and it's showing.

from what i understand by someone who knows him, dallas isn't in the picture. miami is where he wants to be.

we'll see how this turns out and if my friend is right. :)

Alexander

Reaction score
from what i understand by someone who knows him, dallas isn't in the picture. miami is where he wants to be.

Be careful. I would hate for you to be considered "uninformed and foolish".

Alexander

Reaction score
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...ml/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Say it. Smokescreen. Diversion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I posted this earlier but I'll mention it again. A lot of guys go to Miami as FAs but they don't seem to stay.

On a side note, I don't know how anybody can really say one thing or another on Collins, at this point. Teams can't even talk to him until later in the month, unless you make up some BS story like Miami did. I'm betting the League looks at that a lot closer. We will likely know the interest in Collins by the Cowboys and other teams once it is approved to speak with him but at this point, I think people are just throwing stuff out there. I don't think his agent would allow him to sign any deal until they've had an opportunity to actually see what kind of offers are out there. At this point, I don't think that's even possible. JMO

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I posted this earlier but I'll mention it again. A lot of guys go to Miami as FAs but they don't seem to stay.

new england and the eagles pursued him pretty heavily and he's already been to a few bellechic (sp) camps, so NE could be a landing spot also.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

On a side note, I don't know how anybody can really say one thing or another on Collins, at this point. Teams can't even talk to him until later in the month, unless you make up some BS story like Miami did. I'm betting the League looks at that a lot closer. We will likely no the interest in Collins by the Cowboys and other teams once it is approved to speak with him but at this point, I think people are just throwing stuff out there. I don't think his agent would allow him to sign any deal until they've had an opportunity to actually see what kind of offers are out there. At this point, I don't think that's even possible. JMO

The offers are all going to be pretty much the same, which is 3 years full guaranteed of 1.5 million.

You can talk to him as long as it isn't at his residence or on campus.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The offers are all going to be pretty much the same, which is 3 years full guaranteed of 1.5 million.

You can talk to him as long as it isn't at his residence or on campus.

No they are not. We've already discussed this.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
No they are not. We've already discussed this.

There is a maximum you can offer an UDFA. It's about 1.5 million in base salary for 3 years guaranteed with the 80k in signing bonus. Given that is the maximum and he is a 1st round talent, that is what all the teams interested in him will offer...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is a maximum you can offer an UDFA. It's about 1.5 million in base salary for 3 years guaranteed with the 80k in signing bonus. Given that is the maximum and he is a 1st round talent, that is what all the teams interested in him will offer...

Again, we have already discussed this. You are not telling me anything I don't already know because it has already been discussed. Now, not every team will be able to offer the same money. Every situation will be different. Tax implications will be different. Starting availability for each team will be different, how out year contracts and what teams will over and discuss will be different. Position projections will be different. Money a player can make outside of the base contract in each city will be different. We've already discussed all of this. Every offer will not be the same.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Again, we have already discussed this. You are not telling me anything I don't already know because it has already been discussed. Now, not every team will be able to offer the same money. Every situation will be different. Tax implications will be different. Starting availability for each team will be different, how out year contracts and what teams will over and discuss will be different. Position projections will be different. Money a player can make outside of the base contract in each city will be different. We've already discussed all of this. Every offer will not be the same.

Then I shouldn't have to be telling you in the first place.

The teams will offer the same base salary because it is a pittance much lower than the veteran minimum.

Tax implications are different, but negligible. I don't think he is going to make this decision based on the tax situation of a particular state.

Starting availability is very different, but we aren't talking about that are we?

Teams are allowed to talk to him already - FACT
Teams will be unrestricted as of saturday - FACT
The max that you can give him is set - FACT

He will make his decision based on other variables, but those facts aren't going to change.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

if Miami does land him, that will add to an already young and potentiallly very good team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then I shouldn't have to be telling you in the first place.

The teams will offer the same base salary because it is a pittance much lower than the veteran minimum.

Tax implications are different, but negligible. I don't think he is going to make this decision based on the tax situation of a particular state.

Starting availability is very different, but we aren't talking about that are we?

Teams are allowed to talk to him already - FACT
Teams will be unrestricted as of saturday - FACT
The max that you can give him is set - FACT

He will make his decision based on other variables, but those facts aren't going to change.

Right. We've already looked at the numbers each team can offer as a maximum. However, every team, for example the Cowboys, will not be able to offer the maximum up front. Please, stop trying to tell us what we already know. Feel free to relieve yourself from the burden of trying to educate us all on what we've already discussed.

Tax implications are not Negligible because the plan is not to sign with a team that you intend to leave after the 1st three years. The goal will be to win a starting job, play at a high level and position yourself to get a lucrative contract in two years. The tax implications of the next contract will be very important. It is not negligible unless Collins and his agent are idiots.

Actually, we are and we have been throughout this entire thread. If you are not talking about it, that's fine but most of the rest of the people posting in this thread are absolutely talking about it and it is a major factor (probably more important then the initial money) because it will drive the second contract and that's the whole reason Collins did not want to get drafted in the 1st place.

Teams are allowed to talk to him in certain situations, we all know. However, every team has not made arrangements to meet him at Denny's or where ever. The full involvement of teams interested in him will not be known until the restrictions are lifted.

Saturday. That's true.

The max you can offer financially is set, that's true but what you said is not true. You said this.

The offers are all going to be pretty much the same

That is absolutely not the case.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I sure hope not!

But if Miami is where he wants to be, that's where he'll end up.

But I will be sad...

:(

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be careful. I would hate for you to be considered "uninformed and foolish".

No worries. He never mentioned teams that already filled their Left Tackle needs after talking up how Collins wanted to play left tackle and go somewhere he was guaranteed to start.

He's fine.