La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Then why did a consensus first round pick go undrafted by all 32 teams if he is "not even a suspect".

Apparently you know something the league doesn't.

Because the sketchy situation made him a high risk factor, and because he said he wouldn't sign if he went outside of the first round, meaning any team the drafted him would risk additionally simply wasting a draft pick.

Fredd

Reaction score
so is he going to sign anywhere as an UDFA? nothing yet...Dallas drafted OL and then grabbed another in UDFA...they see the value of the position (obviously)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
so is he going to sign anywhere as an UDFA? nothing yet...Dallas drafted OL and then grabbed another in UDFA...they see the value of the position (obviously)
His agency said again this morning that he's going to meet with the police on Monday, then talk to teams after that. It's been reported that some teams are convinced he didn't do it after making their own investigations. The guy also passed a lie detector test. Poor guy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I really hope Dallas is all in on this kid after his Monday meeting.

We could end up with three first round talents.

cds99

Reaction score
I really hope Dallas is all in on this kid after his Monday meeting.

We could end up with three first round talents.

You don't think 31-other teams are slobbering over him as well

erod

Reaction score
If he's cleared, go after him. I'd think he'd like to be part of this line for years to come. Probably overtake Free in fairly short order.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's cleared, go after him. I'd think he'd like to be part of this line for years to come. Probably overtake Free in fairly short order.

He'll have a walki-in starring role on a good team with a weaker OL someplace if he wants it.

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't think 31-other teams are slobbering over him as well

I bet some teams have him completely off the board regardless of what happens Monday.

I hope we aren't one of those teams.

erod

Reaction score
He'll have a walki-in starring role on a good team with a weaker OL someplace if he wants it.

If the money is the same, why not come in here and be a part of a machine. He might beat out Free.

Dallas would have a line of 25 and under players.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I would obviously go after him hard. Being the Dallas Cowboys I say you have a chance. Although teams can offer him guarantee day one starter. I don't think Dallas could guarantee that. I would be opening the wallet big time if he is cleared of any wrongdoing.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I would obviously go after him hard. Being the Dallas Cowboys I say you have a chance. Although teams can offer him guarantee day one starter. I don't think Dallas could guarantee that. I would be opening the wallet big time if he is cleared of any wrongdoing.

Not being able to offer him the status of a day one starter pretty much wrecks our chances of getting him. And given their relationship with Doug Free and what he means to this team, I don't think they could outright guarantee that.

I would however guarantee him a starting spot at either LG or RT. He would have to beat out Leary or Free, but he would start at one of the positions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the money is the same, why not come in here and be a part of a machine. He might beat out Free.

Dallas would have a line of 25 and under players.

Because he'd have to wait to start. He'll take a one year deal on a good team with a guaranteed starting position to parlay that into a pay day with guaranteed money the year after if he's any good.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not being able to offer him the status of a day one starter pretty much wrecks our chances of getting him. And given their relationship with Doug Free and what he means to this team, I don't think they could outright guarantee that.

I would however guarantee him a starting spot at either LG or RT. He would have to beat out Leary or Free, but he would start at one of the positions.

Problem with that is he's not taking a long term deal, so you'd only get him for one season. If we like him over Leary, maybe we'd do that, but that's not much of a win in that case.

erod

Reaction score
Because he'd have to wait to start. He'll take a one year deal on a good team with a guaranteed starting position to parlay that into a pay day with guaranteed money the year after if he's any good.

Not sure teams are going to be interested in paying much on a one year player they have to coach up as a rookie.

erod

Reaction score
Problem with that is he's not taking a long term deal, so you'd only get him for one season. If we like him over Leary, maybe we'd do that, but that's not much of a win in that case.

Depends on the long term deal being offered.

Free gets hurt in preseason. Now what?

Build on strength. Pay him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Even getting him for a year makes him a Cowboy, and makes it much more likely to sign him over another team next year. I'm not saying it would be ideal, I'm saying that it would be better than nothing.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Except there's this thing where you have to accrue 4 years of service in the league before you are eligible for unrestricted free agency.