La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Hardline

Reaction score
We would not bench Free for Collins. I want him just as much as you guys but he's gonna sign with a team that gives him a shot to start right away at Tackle. We can't offer that.

Training camp would determine that. I believe Collins would win the job.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I am very much interested in Collins as a UDFA. Not trying to troll anyone here but just for adding to discussion I saw this pic on the CHIVE website that had some funny NFL draft meme pics. So I just thought this pic was interesting in regards to Collins.
nfl-draft-memes-are-just-here-so-they-wont-get-fined-35-photos-9.jpg

Clearly the coach was being an ***, because all of these guys have gone on to have success

marchetta

Reaction score
I would have rather taken him in the 7th rather than the Germany kid.

Wrong. If we'd selected him late in the draft, then he has the option of sitting out a year and re-entering the draft next year where he would be a high round pick (if all goes well legally). Which, is what he stated he would do. And, we'd have nothing to show for our pick. By not selecting him, he doesn't have the option of re-entering the draft next year. He immediately became a UFA after the draft and is not allowed back into the draft next year.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Wrong. If we'd selected him late in the draft, then he has the option of sitting out a year and re-entering the draft next year where he would be a high round pick (if all goes well legally). Which, is what he stated he would do. And, we'd have nothing to show for our pick. By not selecting him, he doesn't have the option of re-entering the draft next year. He immediately became a UFA after the draft and is not allowed back into the draft next year.

damn....that sucks for him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

and we only have a 1 in 32 chance of signing him

if we drafted him he is ours for a year and he might just sign to get on with his career. he can't go back to college.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
and we only have a 1 in 32 chance of signing him

if we drafted him he is ours for a year and he might just sign to get on with his career. he can't go back to college.

1 in 32 versus a player who certainly would have sat out the year and gone into the draft again next year when his situation has changed...

And honestly it isn't 1 in 32....

I bet half the teams won't touch him, and the remaining half how many are big market teams with good offensive lines, and are playing winning football....

If the Cowboys wanted him, I bet it would be between them and no more than half a dozen teams.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
1 in 32 versus a player who certainly would have sat out the year and gone into the draft again next year when his situation has changed...

And honestly it isn't 1 in 32....

I bet half the teams won't touch him, and the remaining half how many are big market teams with good offensive lines, and are playing winning football....

If the Cowboys wanted him, I bet it would be between them and no more than half a dozen teams.

Sitting out a year may not produce a better result. It may, but it is a big risk.

Starting your career now means you are one year closer to FA. The big draft money may never be there again.

Losing a 7th round pick on the chance of signing a 1st round talent is a good gamble to me.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Sitting out a year may not produce a better result. It may, but it is a big risk.

Starting your career now means you are one year closer to FA. The big draft money may never be there again.

Losing a 7th round pick on the chance of signing a 1st round talent is a good gamble to me.

There is no upside for him to play now as an UDFA. He would be no worse than a 3rd round pick next year.

Deep_South

Reaction score
The police might be inclined to think that Collins' girlfriend was pregnant with his child and he decided to eliminate any claim to his millions right before the draft and before any money changed hands. It usually takes a while for DNA results to come back from a lab for some reason, but it will eventually resolve the paternity question the police wanted to discuss with him. What it won't resolve is whether or not he believed the child was his, and that alone would provide motive. So, this thing could drag out for a while, and until he is cleared I think the Cowboys would be best served to steer clear of Mr. Collins. Roughly one-third of all murders go unsolved, and if that is the case with this one he may never get out from underneath the cloud of suspicion.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There is no upside for him to play now as an UDFA. He would be no worse than a 3rd round pick next year.

A 3rd round pick gets around 800k guaranteed on a 2-3m contract. Not much better than a 7th round pick.

Getting a year of service time is a pretty big deal.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score

Maybe they didn't want to be "that" team. Signing him as a UDFA won't make nearly the waves that drafting him would have. They've got a pretty good track record with troubled guys as well as UDFA's. They can point to their offense and show three big contributors who were brought in that way and a guy at his position who just left for big money. I hope they do get him. You'd be looking at 2 top ten talents added outside of the first round.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then why did a consensus first round pick go undrafted by all 32 teams if he is "not even a suspect".

Apparently you know something the league doesn't.

He's not officially a suspect or a person of interest.

The teams didn't draft him because the case was a disincentive to draft him where he was a reasonable value. Once he became a great value, they apparently thought it would be in the player's best interest to simply not sign with the club who drafted him so he could then reenter the draft next season and be a higher pick and get a better contract for the long run. Had he not panned out this season after getting picked up for a song, he'd be an instant journeyman. Once that point was reached, he had to fall all the way so that he can now sign a significant CFA deal with basically the team of his choice.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He's not officially a suspect or a person of interest.

The teams didn't draft him because the case was a disincentive to draft him where he was a reasonable value. Once he became a great value, they apparently thought it would be in the player's best interest to simply not sign with the club who drafted him so he could then reenter the draft next season and be a higher pick and get a better contract for the long run. Had he not panned out this season after getting picked up for a song, he'd be an instant journeyman. Once that point was reached, he had to fall all the way so that he can now sign a significant CFA deal with basically the team of his choice.

According to NFL.com it sounds like teams are not so sure he is not a suspect..............

"NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday. Teams were wary of drafting Collins until they know more information."
"The opinion across football has been relatively simple: Wait until the investigation process runs its course"

Also, even if he is cleared of any involvement, he is not signing a significant contract due to NFL rules governing undrafted players..............

"Collins will theoretically be available to sign as an undrafted free agent if he is cleared legally. But the amount that a team could pay him would be heavily limited by NFL rules governing undrafted free agents."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...es-undrafted-tackle-not-eligible-for-16-draft

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He didn't get drafted because he obviously is a person of interest. What does everyone expect, the authorities to come out and say that he is a person of interest to give him a running head start?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Also maybe there was a side arrangement by Goodell, telling teams whoever drafts him will be punished by the league......you know the same BS him and Mara pulled the year there was no salary cap and the Boys and Skins dumped dead money.

LittleD

Reaction score
He didn't get drafted because he obviously is a person of interest. What does everyone expect, the authorities to come out and say that he is a person of interest to give him a running head start?

The police want to talk with him. They know already that he will be lawyered up! He is really a person of interest but the police have no intention of saying this
publically. The police will request a DNA sample to verify paternity. If he refuses, the police will pursue him like mad. He is already being tried in the
public forums and social media. He better be able to verify his location and whereabouts when the young lady was murdered. My guess is that they will
ask him to take a lie detector test. Most teams will not want to get involved with this after the New England Hernandez issues.
Very sad for the young man if he is indeed innocent.

superonyx

Reaction score
If he didn't have any part in this crime then it's really a shame for him. Anytime a girlfriend gets murdered the boyfriend is always a suspect.

I understand why he wasn't drafted. I'm sure he does also. The league really should have allowed him to remove himself from the draft. The players have paydays that are now fixed based on draft pick and round. This really hurts him in a big way if he is innocent. Not only will he be morning the loss of his girlfriend but also his baby.