La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys...America's Team...most prestigious franchise in sports

The Death Star...greatest Stadium ever

Dallas and the Cowboys...ex players are family and tend to succeed financially over other teams after the lights dim.

Money...we pay players who excel...unless you are a running back who set the franchise record for a single season.

Hey, we dig people suspected of homicide, and have a system set in place to forget and forgive, as long as you get out of jail before your skill set erodes

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I would tell him that he could become a part of one of the most dominant offensive lines in NFL history. Because that's what Smith, Fred, Martin and Collins would be for the next 10 years if he signed.

And obviously, no other team has a better o-line coach or will get more out of you than Dallas. And with the star comes immediate attention and probable Pro Bowls.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Just like Jonathan Cooper would have started for the Cardinals? :) He was a top ten pick for the Cardinals two years ago and can't sniff playing time. Beaten out by an undrafted FA.

Didn't Cooper miss his entire first year and some of his second due to injury?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I haven't been reading much in the threads today so forgive me if this has already been said.

I found this article that mentions something interest things:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/3...ouisiana-police-but-not-until-after-the-draft

Here are the basics from the article:

* Collins' former girlfriend, who was pregnant, was shot to death.
* The baby was delivered but died shortly after.
* Note: I have no idea if this baby was Collins' or when they broke up.
* Collins got the news on Tuesday, after he had just arrived in Chicago for the draft.
* He was told that he wasn't a suspect but the police wanted to question him to help in their investigation.
* He could have easily flown back Tuesday night, talked to police, and fly back to Chicago in time for the draft
* ... but he didn't (don't ask me why).
* He decided to stay in Chicago and participate in some youth flag football event on Wednesday.
* He finally made an appointment on Thursday morning to talk to police on Monday.
* His attorney desperately tried to get his name withdrawn hours before the draft so that he could go in the supplemental draft
* but the NFL declined.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Based on what I read in the article I posted above, I can see why teams were hesitant to draft him.

Anyone with any common sense (who was innocent) would have publicly stated their disbelief and sadness over the death of their ex girlfriend and her child, and they would have immediately flown back home to talk to police to get justice for her killer and clear his name in time for the draft. This could have been a moment when he really shined in front of the NFL. Instead, he made himself look suspicious at the worst possible time.

endersdragon

Reaction score
"Come here... make some money... win a Super Bowl or 2 these next two years... make the Hall of Fame eventually... you know you wanna."

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
"We signed Tank Johnson AND Pacman Jones within the same year."

Hardline

Reaction score
I salivate thinking of this line with Collins
Smith.Leary.Fredrick.Martin.Collins

Free becomes your swing tackle.

Four out of five on the starting line with first round talent.

I go all out to get him here.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Based on what I read in the article I posted above, I can see why teams were hesitant to draft him.

Anyone with any common sense (who was innocent) would have publicly stated their disbelief and sadness over the death of their ex girlfriend and her child, and they would have immediately flown back home to talk to police to get justice for her killer and clear his name in time for the draft. This could have been a moment when he really shined in front of the NFL. Instead, he made himself look suspicious at the worst possible time.

That is easy to say, but after Aaron Hernandez and all the DV stuff he was in a terrible spot. Just being associated with this crushed his draft stock. He tried to make the best of it and get into the supplemental draft but the league said no. I wish Dallas or someone else took him in the 7th to either sign him this year or give him another shot at the first round next year.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Ok we need to get clarity on this.

Some are saying if he was drafted, he could refuse to sign and re-enter 2016.

Some are saying if he goes undrafted, he can re-enter 2016 draft.

Which is it?

Enter the draft and get picked but refuse to sign with the team then you can reenter the draft the following year.
Enter the draft and do not get picked then you are a UDFA.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Sounds like his agent and attorney were giving him terrible advice.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I am very much interested in Collins as a UDFA. Not trying to troll anyone here but just for adding to discussion I saw this pic on the CHIVE website that had some funny NFL draft meme pics. So I just thought this pic was interesting in regards to Collins.
nfl-draft-memes-are-just-here-so-they-wont-get-fined-35-photos-9.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No brainer, this seems like the type of deal they like to make. Surely they're at least kicking tires

It seems like a Jerry type of deal. Remember how excited Jerry was about signing Leary. He seemed more excited about Leary that year than the players that were drafted.

AZ_Cowboys_Fan

Reaction score
I salivate thinking of this line with Collins
Smith.Leary.Fredrick.Martin.Collins

Free becomes your swing tackle.

Four out of five on the starting line with first round talent.

I go all out to get him here.

We would not bench Free for Collins. I want him just as much as you guys but he's gonna sign with a team that gives him a shot to start right away at Tackle. We can't offer that.

hairic

Reaction score
We would not bench Free for Collins. I want him just as much as you guys but he's gonna sign with a team that gives him a shot to start right away at Tackle. We can't offer that.

Yeah, there is probably a few hundred thousand per year in performance based pay that he can go after for playing a lot on a low salary. Depending on how it's calculated, he might be better off going to a better offense (in terms of total expected snaps) where he also feels he can get those extra snaps.