Lakers - Nola Trade Rumor for Davis

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Lakers fans, do you want this deal to happen?
Great player who plays about 60 games a year? The Lakers didn't have to make this offer, but they did so as if they have to get this deal done now. I'm hoping NO plays hardball and the Lakers take the deal off the table. If it goes through before that, oh well.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
As a Spurs fan, I hope the Lakers get that done.
And LaVar can speak himself out of existence for all I care. He can speak and speak and speak and speak...
Just another helicopter parent with a loud mouth. Who cares?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Phoenix would be a good fit for Ball, but I don't think he'll end up there. Not sure what Phoenix could contribute to the trade, they aren't likely to include unprotected #1s so it's kind of whatever.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As of this morning, being reported that Nola now wants Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, and 4 1st-round picks and 4 2nd round picks.

No way I do that if I'm the Lakers. I'd let the cards fall where they may. That's just too much. He may end up in Boston but who knows?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
As of this morning, being reported that Nola now wants Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, and 4 1st-round picks and 4 2nd round picks.

No way I do that if I'm the Lakers. I'd let the cards fall where they may. That's just too much. He may end up in Boston but who knows?
if they are that close then the deal will get done imo.
Much of that trade balance is hot air.
Beasley, Rondo, Lance are merely cap space fillers. --LAL would probably promptly resign 1 or more of them as they are waived.
Lonzo is a mid to late lottery type value currently.
Ingram, Kuz and the R1s have value but you can only trade R1s every other year and LBJ/AD aren't falling out of the playoffs so those R1 aren't worth much for another 5-6 years.
fact Pels made an offer at all tells me they are close.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I don't think the picks matter to them but they have to keep Ingram or Kuzma (if it were me, I would keep Ingram due to the ball handling). They can't get rid of both and 8 picks.

I think the Lakers will resign Lance and Rondo once they are released.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Beasley, Rondo, Lance are merely cap space fillers. --LAL would probably promptly resign 1 or more of them as they are waived.
Ingram, Kuz and the R1s have value but you can only trade R1s every other year and LBJ/AD aren't falling out of the playoffs so those R1 aren't worth much for another 5-6 years.

But 4 first and second round picks hurt because you are giving up all of your depth and you are also losing some talent in the assets traded. You can't win with just James and Davis. They have to have some other pieces there and if you are going to trade your young talent, then you have to have picks to replace them with. Nola is basically asking for 4 years of drafts from the Lakers. I don't think that works. I know you can sign guys but in order to create a championship team, LA still has to go out and sign one more allstar type guy. That's going to cost so I just don't think the numbers work on a deal like this. JMO.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pels believe they can get Tatum in the offseason. They will pretty much have to let the Celtics tamper for that to happen.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But 4 first and second round picks hurt because you are giving up all of your depth and you are also losing some talent in the assets traded. You can't win with just James and Davis. They have to have some other pieces there and if you are going to trade your young talent, then you have to have picks to replace them with. Nola is basically asking for 4 years of drafts from the Lakers. I don't think that works. I know you can sign guys but in order to create a championship team, LA still has to go out and sign one more allstar type guy. That's going to cost so I just don't think the numbers work on a deal like this. JMO.
If they buyout whatever salary they take back, they will still have a max slot in the offseason. After that they will be very attractive to vets willing to take the vet min.

They wont have any problems filling out their roster with quality players whatsoever

In 2007, the Celtics had 6 players on their roster after the KG trade.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I knew NO was going to get silly, it is a response from the Lakers first offer which NO deemed a insult so they responded with a insulting offer in return. If both sides don't push the emotionalism aside and get realistic soon there will be no deal which is probably best for all involved. I think it's 50/50 atm.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

But with the limit on R1s being every other year it isn't that damaging and outside the top 15 few guys can actually play at all.
LAL will bank on adding players wanting to win then use their cap exceptions once they operate as an over the cap team as they should be doing already imho as you know from my past threads here.

All that said if ask is 4 and 4 LAL likely comes back with 2R1 and 3R2 and work from there.

They can sign guys and trade guys just fine without cap space.
And those picks are basically worthless except as trade chips.
Picks in the 20s are useless in the 50s are less than useless.
I don't think they lose much except Ingram and Kuz.
The rest is tripe.

AD is a top 10 player and top 5 asset. Go get him if you can.
NBA is very simple. Best player wins in trade 90% of the time.

Once Lakers go over the cap life gets simple. They can start trading for solid but overpaid guys.

LAL likely gets Melo and Lance immediately following any roster clearing.
They'd keep an eye on Wes Matthews as well.
Pels can't take on 6 guys in trade and not cut people.
5+ teams are actively tanking and will give away talent for next to nothing.
Others just want cap space and will trade you a quality player for a guy with only 1 year left.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Pels believe they can get Tatum in the offseason. They will pretty much have to let the Celtics tamper for that to happen.
Pels simply know AD isn't going to leave 80+M on the table so they have all the leverage.
They would love Tatum plus a bunch of R1 picks for sure but mostly they can bargain heavy-handedly because LAL is desperate as they KNOW AD isn't leaving all that money on the table since Rich Paul is the asst LAL GM....

LAL shoudn't even blink. Just do the deal.
Those assets are mostly trash that is an 8-9 seed at best without LeBron.

BOS is going to have to start trading R1s here soon though because they are out of roster spots.

Could see them tip a team to take some salary off their hands tbh.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pels simply know AD isn't going to leave 80+M on the table so they have all the leverage.
They would love Tatum plus a bunch of R1 picks for sure but mostly they can bargain heavy-handedly because LAL is desperate as they KNOW AD isn't leaving all that money on the table since Rich Paul is the asst LAL GM....

BOS is going to have to start trading R1s here soon though because they are out of roster spots.

It just might not be appealing to NO to build around Ingram, Kuzma and Ball

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

If they dont move them in the offseason, I think they will either move up in the draft or use them as stash players.

They will likely be down two roster spots with Morris a FA and Rozier and RFA, with three likely FRPs. Memphis's is unlikely to convey this year. Especially if they trade Conley.

My best guess for if they dont make a move for AD, that they package them to move up inside the top 10 for a target. Maybe Cam Reddish who seemsnto be falling some with Zion emerging at Duke

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Lets say that NO and LA don't make a deal. What would a NO BOS deal look like in the off season?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Is it true that Danny Ainge is asking NO to hold off on making a deal atm?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I think the Lakers need to let this one go. Things have gotten out of hand, i would call NO and tell them thank you for negotiating but we have decided to take a different course of action in the near future, wish them the best of luck and be done with this now.