Lance as Backup

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it make sense at some point in this season of road warriors to have Lance back up Dak and actually get him some reps or heavan forbid give him a start . You let a 4 go out the window for the guy and next yr FA goodbye . Nothing in return ?

I already know what Cooper brings to the table and it’s limited but serviceable as a back up . The lack of mobility in either 7 or # 4 is horrible , ends drives . Just to spice up the season have him as back up in Santa Clara . MM be Bold !
why would it make sense? what is to accomplish? he is not taking us anywhere and would be worse off than we are today. and he is on the last year of his contract. what is to accomplish other than some fans wanting to see Lance. they have already determined he is not the future.

shabazz

Reaction score
I told y'all!!!

Stupidest personal and extremely costly Jerry trade ever!!!!!
When and if we are mathematically eliminated from the opportunity to lose in the postseason, I would play both backup qbs the rest of the way.

To lose a 60 million dollar asset to injury with nothing to gain would be unforgivable

Mr_437

Reaction score
Just call the Lance trade what it is, a dumb move by Jerry. He already had his franchise QB and a proper backup, so wth was he doing trading a 4th for Lance? Further showing he needs to sit down and get out the way.

Lance has no place on this team, so try to trade him and get whatever you can.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He should either be the backup or released. I don’t think he is a starting NFL QB but get him some mop-up duty to prove it either way. What a stupid, wasted trade that our wonderful GM pulled off…..
Any 4th round pick for QB is going to be a roll of the dice.
Rolling the dice is not a waste.
I like that Jerry understands this.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it make sense at some point in this season of road warriors to have Lance back up Dak and actually get him some reps or heavan forbid give him a start . You let a 4 go out the window for the guy and next yr FA goodbye . Nothing in return ?

I already know what Cooper brings to the table and it’s limited but serviceable as a back up . The lack of mobility in either 7 or # 4 is horrible , ends drives . Just to spice up the season have him as back up in Santa Clara . MM be Bold !
I'm clinging to hope he'll be able to improve enough in his passing skills to equal or exceed what Cooper Rush is to that position. If his skill in passing ever equals what he contributes as a runner, he'd be a sure-thing cinch as a backup QB. Sigh . . . ;)

Last edited:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Watching Cooper Rush play QB is slightly better than watching paint dry. Rush isn’t likely to suddenly improve from the dull-armed risk-averse player he’s always been. Give me an option that has some upside. Add a little excitement to the mix.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He threw some interceptions but Dak has a bundle of them this year . Lance had a nice fade for a TD in the red zone to the forgotten 6th rounder who should be playing as well . A Red Zone I might add a coach with some imagination might be able to incorporate Lances skill set to extend plays .
He threw 5 INTs against scrubs in the 3rd preseason game and you’re comparing that with the 6 INTs Dak has thrown in 6 regular season games? :rolleyes: Mahomes has 8 INTs this season. That’s what I call a bundle. This is Lances 4th NFL season and he hasn’t been able to win the backup job with 2 different teams.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I think the Dak contract virtually guarantees that Lance will never get a shot and Jerry handed a 4th rounder away. Additionally flushing 5 million down the cap toilet makes this one of the doozies in GM Jerry’s crappy GM career.
$5 MM a doozie? Jerry wipes with $5 MM

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
why would it make sense? what is to accomplish? he is not taking us anywhere and would be worse off than we are today. and he is on the last year of his contract. what is to accomplish other than some fans wanting to see Lance. they have already determined he is not the future.
It’s amazing how little a body of evidence allows these amazing ‘Seers’ to see the future. Or, maybe they’re just full of beans?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Rush gonna leave after the season.

Lance is the future.

Might as well get Lance some game reps later this season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I have oftentimes wondered if the original plan was for Lance to backup Dak in 2023 and start in 2024, thus letting Prescott play out his contract without an extension
Daks contract lets Dallas escape after 2025.

If things still don’t work out with Dak, then Lance has more time to get ready.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't understand the infatuation some fans have with Trey Lance. This team is already stuck in neutral, and some think the solution is to get even worse at quarterback.

Lance can't play. The entire NFL knows it. Only Jerry was dumb enough to give up a 4th round pick for him.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
With the struggles they have in the redzone I wouldn't mind seeing them use him in a Tysum Hill type role.

Why not use his legs and a little bit of throwing ability to catch a defense off guard and get some easy yards?

sbark

Reaction score
Just call the Lance trade what it is, a dumb move by Jerry. He already had his franchise QB and a proper backup, so wth was he doing trading a 4th for Lance? Further showing he needs to sit down and get out the way.

Lance has no place on this team, so try to trade him and get whatever you can.
Cue Sam Darnold, Geno, Mayfield
Lights do come on in players
Lance was showing signs
Lets see where team is after next 5 games
Decision time