Lance was very disappointing

EGTuna

Reaction score
Jerry did not luck his way into Romo. In fact, he had nothing to do with it. Romo was a Bill Parcells’ coaching tree prospect (via Sean Payton).

Dak was a 4th round pick no one thought would amount to more than just a backup.

Jerry (and by extension the organization) never has really had a plan to develop a young QB. So, he finally takes a winger on his organization’s high 2nd round rated prospect for peanuts, who is raw to develop and see what he has, and the Dak homers are up in arms because they see him as a threat to his next unwarranted second mega million dollar contract, criticizing every little detail about him.

I saw a QB who was raw, inaccurate in some cases, and a bit hesitant to release the ball, who made some good plays with his feet and connected well on many of his passes. I did not see a young QB who was afraid the game was too big for him, nor someone who did not go through his progressions.
My point was the resources Jerry used to get a playoff caliber QB1 was lucky. It’s very rare to get 18 years of pro bowl caliber QB play from an undrafted FA and a 4th rounder. Jerry doesn’t want to invest the draft capital required to get a chance at a top QB. He’s only done it once in 35 years of owning the team.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This argument has been raging for a long time. I can only go by what I see. Just like other QB's from Brady on down, they post stats in garbage time. Your posting of that game evidently ignores when Dak met Brady for the Bucs and Dak lit up that defense.

I don't trust stats because they can support whatever agenda the one using then takes.

Just to emphasize what I mean, look at Aikman's stats on picks. Yet more than one person in football has remarked Aikman was one of the top QB's as far as accuracy.

The one and done argument does ignore the fact there are a great deal of players on the field for Dallas, that are losing their personal assignments which causes the team to lose. Not just Dak.

I am not a Dak sycophant. I just see it differently. That he does have issues when the competition gets tougher, but I also see the defense giving away points wholesale.
How many more pick 6s do you need to see to understand #4 locks on to WRs....and telegraphs his throws? No way in hell you pay a guy 60 million a year to do that. That's HS BS. Is that the level of acceptance around here now?

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's 24, with 3 seasons under his belt. He shouldn't look this bad. Rush didn't even look this bad as a rookie
exactly. Because its about processing reads quickly. An average QB can play in the league a long time if they are smart. All the talent in the world won't help a QB if they are a tick or two slow from the neck up, processing info. Lance just will never be that. He is a true 1 read QB take off and run. In my view, I am shopping him right now for any pick I can get,cut my losses. That said, Dallas will allow him the next 2 games to evaluate him. I wouldn't. I have seen enough.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's not Mahomes. But he's not fellow 4th round pick stiff, stephen magee either. Let him play and we'll see what he can do. Has to get the ball out, has to get the throws lower. Maybe he can fix that, maybe he can't. We'll see. We aren't the dopes that spent the 3rd overall pick on him.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
My point was the resources Jerry used to get a playoff caliber QB1 was lucky. It’s very rare to get 18 years of pro bowl caliber QB play from an undrafted FA and a 4th rounder. Jerry doesn’t want to invest the draft capital required to get a chance at a top QB. He’s only done it once in 35 years of owning the team.
:hammer: ....You get what you pay for. You would think Jerry being a business man would have understood this....but nope. Jerry always went cheap....scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Trey Lance was three drops away from completing 70% of his passes, they're was like 6 drops.
He has a lot of work to do, but this is a misleading-fake news title and thread
That part is true, his wideouts sure didn't help him, but Lance was all over the map with his accuracy and slow reads. I am a fan and want him to prove me wrong. But I think he just can't process info fast enough to be viable. Dallas will give him every chance the next 2 games.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's not Mahomes. But he's not fellow 4th round pick stiff, stephen magee either. Let him play and we'll see what he can do. Has to get the ball out, has to get the throws lower. Maybe he can fix that, maybe he can't. We'll see. We aren't the dopes that spent the 3rd overall pick on him.
hoping for the best, expecting more of the same.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Fix the offensive line so he can step into throws....and not have to run for his life.

Rayman70

Reaction score
playing QB is mostly about the neck up. PROCESSING INFORMATION and trusting what you see with the same timing in your head every time. Repetition. The trouble with Lance is he does nothing timely. When a QB hesitates or is a half a beat too slow with his release, it helps the defense make a play. This next game might be it for him, good or bad. We need to see a big jump .

Flamma

Reaction score
When was the last time Lance was in a game? It's been awhile. I'm not expecting much, but lets see what he does over the next two games. Just as long as the OL holds up. They looked terrible.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Two things independent of each other can happen simultaneously. For example, giving up a pick six and giving a defense ten yards to work for an opposing team to score while doing nothing on offense for almost eighty percent of the half can too negatively affect the defense.
Yes, but the way the defense plays can not negatively affect the offense. Got it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey Lance was three drops away from completing 70% of his passes, they're was like 6 drops.
He has a lot of work to do, but this is a misleading-fake news title and thread
Yes, check down Trance looked great with 4.7 yards per pass. Can you imagine what it would be without any YAC? Would ir be under 2?

Might as well just do shuffle passes instead.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I found his performance encouraging. Never seen him play before and didn't know what to expect.

He definitely has a legit arm and legit mobility. The biggest thing for me is that he didn't appear lost in the moment. He played with confidence and decisiveness. Definitely not a polished veteran, but nobody is until they get the real situation reps. You guys saying he should be playing like a 4 year vet are nuts. It just doesn't work that way. Especially with a guy with his background.

The jury is still out as to whether he'll make it but he showed well yesterday.
Thankfully some watched him without the negative bias. I saw an impressive looking athlete. Ball zipped out of his hand. Great scrabbling ability. Big guy. The negatives for me were vision and confidence to just let it rip. He appeared to take to long to work through the progressions. Tended to have happy feet which works in preseason but will be a big problem in the regular season.

I think the guy just needs to play. Let’s see if he shows improvement.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How many more pick 6s do you need to see to understand #4 locks on to WRs....and telegraphs his throws? No way in hell you pay a guy 60 million a year to do that. That's HS BS. Is that the level of acceptance around here now?
You do realize Troy threw 16 pick sixes.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I would love to see him operate with the ones for a series or two. Our OL play was brutal yesterday

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Yes, but the way the defense plays can not negatively affect the offense. Got it.
No. You didn’t get it. You just put words in people’s mouths and deflect onto the defense for Dak’s bad play. Dak went three and out after GB scored. Then the defense got the ball back. Then Dak threw a pick at the team’s own ten yard line, giving an already depleted defense a short field. Then GB scored again. Then the Dak-led offense didn’t move the ball again. Then GB scored again. Then Dak threw a pick six. That’s reality. The defense playing bad doesn’t deflect from Dak playing bad. Sorry.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I would love to see him operate with the ones for a series or two. Our OL play was brutal yesterday
I wonder why our brain trust has never thought of that idea. Man we could have been holding back on some HOF QB's in the past and just didn't know about it.