Lance was very disappointing

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly think dak is greedy as it gets but I'm not on board with dumping him with no back up plan. The back up plan isn't on this roster at the moment. sanders from Colorado isn't a back up plan either. Plus i don't se us in position to grab him anyway.

This Dak is the main reason we havent gone farther in playoffs is garbage. hes part of it without a doubt. This anybody but Dak approach isn't something I'm on board with. These dummies in the front office have done the same thing they did with Romo.

They needed to be looking for another QB earlier than they did with him and they should have been doing it before now with Dak. The problem is we had too many holes to fill with both QBs because jeryr and company are blond to building a complete team.

I havent looked at the upcoming draft to see what is going to be out there cause ive felt all along they were going to extend Dak .Truly i dont care what they do with him but a part me hopes they do just because im sick and tired of listening to the anti dakkers on this board.

They said they will leave once extended so well see. On a different note Im not real optimistic this Michigan DT is anything more than a back up
I would have to agree with all. Pretty sad the plan was Lance. Jerry just won't take it seriously.

My point is though...it can be done, not ideal. You want a real candidate already on your roster. The only save would be a trade, or top 5 draft....neither one we are very good at. :(

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
And I will ask you again.

What is your plan when you jettison Dak?

You have some real studs on this team - Micah, CeeDee, and it looks like some on the offensive line. When you dump Dak, without a legitimate answer to replace him, in my opinion, you immediately begin the massive rebuild. And what message does that send to those guys who are clearly the tops at their positions? Just hang around and lose until we can find this QB?

The mantra of just fire Dak never seems to answer the question, what then?

Let's talk football and drop the rhetoric for a change. What is your solution?

One last point. All the QB's for other teams that are heralded here at The Zone, what are their records in the Super Bowl? Other than Mahomes, who is the stud that has delivered? So while the lust fest of other QB's goes on here, doesn't seem there is a real long list of sure bets other than Mahomes.

Your turn.
The plan is to be in the bottom half of the league in wins until a new capable quarterback can be acquired and developed.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The ball was not coming out on time. Which means he does not trust his instincts(lack of experience) or he can't read a defense.

Running around until someone gets open is not a realistic way to win games in the NFL.

“ running around “ would indicate some responsibility on the OL .

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't think so I mean it depends on your expectations my word he's the third string emergency quarterback until further notice and at least he didn't throw 5 interceptions.. This was his first extended live action in a very long time and I think he was a little too cautious a little too amped up he was overthrowing a lot of balls he almost got some dudes killed his timing was off he didn't lead to receivers but he didn't look like total garbage you can build off the fact that he's mobile and that he's only the third string quarterback right now with time this is a learning experience so each game he's gonna get better but again you gotta guy who did he win two Heisman trophies or he was on two national championship teams in Bennett who basically could have thrown 8 interceptions and he got lucky didn't lose the game on that last interception being called back which by the way they missed 5 holding calls and that same drive on their offensive line which would have killed the game anyway so I don't care who won or lost but yes I get it he didn't look great but I don't think he looked as bad as people are saying when you just look at the fact that she's looking for your third string quarterback to improve...

And I believe in a live game his first one in a while expectations kept low he did a pretty good job....

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but the way the defense plays can not negatively affect the offense. Got it.
They call it offense and defense for a reason. The defense is generally on their heels...because the offense is...get this....offensive. or should be.
If the offense is any good...they control their destiny. Regardless of defense.

Late in the game....can be a different story, if the offense has no time .

Chasing6

Reaction score
They call it offense and defense for a reason. The defense is generally on their heels...because the offense is...get this....offensive. or should be.
If the offense is any good...they control their destiny. Regardless of defense.

Late in the game....can be a different story, if the offense has no time .
Has any offense, in the history of the NFL, ever won a game when the defense gave up 6 TD's in a row?

I know the great Mahomes still would have won the game right? Or maybe the GOAT Tom Brady. I am for sure Troy Aikman could have done it with his 1 TD pass per game career average.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Thankfully some watched him without the negative bias. I saw an impressive looking athlete. Ball zipped out of his hand. Great scrabbling ability. Big guy. The negatives for me were vision and confidence to just let it rip. He appeared to take to long to work through the progressions. Tended to have happy feet which works in preseason but will be a big problem in the regular season.

I think the guy just needs to play. Let’s see if he shows improvement.
Exactly looking at him as a third string quarterback that's gonna be the emergency quarterback you gotta keep your perspective and no he didn't look good and he almost got some receivers killed with his high throws especially over the middle but his first live action with no expectations really from me I think there's something to build on but he's definitely so far away from being a starter or beating out Cooper rush at this point although Cooper rushed under through that deep pass it probably would have been a touchdown I think we need to table that for now and look at these next two preseason games but I do not think he's beating out Cooper Ross I think we're going into this year once again with being Prescott rush and Trey Lance at emergency third quarterback...

But there's no reason to give up on the guy and at the very least you have to think of it like this who exactly do you want as your third string quarterback I mean if we lose Prescott for a very long time like he's not coming back for the season we're gonna be losing a lot of games anyway even with Cooper rush so then what he gets hurt and then we use Trey Lance to do what hopefully not win any games while he gets experience and we get a better draft pick it's called organically tanking so right now I don't care who's the third string quarterback if he's in there we're in trouble I don't care who it is I don't care if you bring some allegedly big name carpet bagger that's been going around the NFL that has a better name than Trey Lance you're not looking at this the way you should if we need our third string quarterback we want him to get experience while losing and we get a nice higher draft pick... That goes for 2025 as well and Prescott's not here you might as well use a guy like Trey Lance maybe get one veteran mid level as a backup and then just roll with it so 2026 you're getting in the top five pick for a quarterback..

Because for me I'm still sticking to it Prescott's not here this organization needs to trade Parsons diggs and CD lamb get rid of Zach Martin and tank for 2026 and do a full rebuild we we don't wanna be paying these guys market money to do what they now have a quarterback I mean doesn't make any sense at all you need to go get your draft picks and start over...

Well what better way to do that than organically tank by giving Trey Lance a shot at being the quarterback for 2025 and if we end up losing I mean is that a bad thing while he's getting a full look at what he can and can't do...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly looking at him as a third string quarterback that's gonna be the emergency quarterback you gotta keep your perspective and no he didn't look good and he almost got some receivers killed with his high throws especially over the middle but his first live action with no expectations really from me I think there's something to build on but he's definitely so far away from being a starter or beating out Cooper rush at this point although Cooper rushed under through that deep pass it probably would have been a touchdown I think we need to table that for now and look at these next two preseason games but I do not think he's beating out Cooper Ross I think we're going into this year once again with being Prescott rush and Trey Lance at emergency third quarterback...

But there's no reason to give up on the guy and at the very least you have to think of it like this who exactly do you want as your third string quarterback I mean if we lose Prescott for a very long time like he's not coming back for the season we're gonna be losing a lot of games anyway even with Cooper rush so then what he gets hurt and then we use Trey Lance to do what hopefully not win any games while he gets experience and we get a better draft pick it's called organically tanking so right now I don't care who's the third string quarterback if he's in there we're in trouble I don't care who it is I don't care if you bring some allegedly big name carpet bagger that's been going around the NFL that has a better name than Trey Lance you're not looking at this the way you should if we need our third string quarterback we want him to get experience while losing and we get a nice higher draft pick... That goes for 2025 as well and Prescott's not here you might as well use a guy like Trey Lance maybe get one veteran mid level as a backup and then just roll with it so 2026 you're getting in the top five pick for a quarterback..

Because for me I'm still sticking to it Prescott's not here this organization needs to trade Parsons diggs and CD lamb get rid of Zach Martin and tank for 2026 and do a full rebuild we we don't wanna be paying these guys market money to do what they now have a quarterback I mean doesn't make any sense at all you need to go get your draft picks and start over...

Well what better way to do that than organically tank by giving Trey Lance a shot at being the quarterback for 2025 and if we end up losing I mean is that a bad thing while he's getting a full look at what he can and can't do...
No reason to give up on the guy? Of course not he is on a guaranteed contract.

Was there any reason to resign the guy at the end of the year? No there was not.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
When was the last time Lance was in a game? It's been awhile. I'm not expecting much, but lets see what he does over the next two games. Just as long as the OL holds up. They looked terrible.
I totally agree. The key is if he shows progress.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has any offense, in the history of the NFL, ever won a game when the defense gave up 6 TD's in a row?

I know the great Mahomes still would have won the game right? Or maybe the GOAT Tom Brady. I am for sure Troy Aikman could have done it with his 1 TD pass per game career average.
The real story is both. The problem is I don't see you coming down on the pathetic offense that couldn't score and in fact gave the other team 14 easy 1st half points.
When can you win a super bowl doing that?

Chasing6

Reaction score
The real story is both. The problem is I don't see you coming down on the pathetic offense that couldn't score and in fact gave the other team 14 easy 1st half points.
Only gave the other team 7 points. Some defenses actually stop teams from scoring after an interception - see KC.

Anyone can see that Dak and the offense did not have a great first half.

Neither did Mahomes and the Cheifs against the Niners in the SB.

However Dak and the offense did not quit. To be honest I can't say the defense quit, because they never showed up.

Adreme

Reaction score
A ton of teams have. There are a lot of examples of teams winning playoff games, even a Super Bowl, when the offense has a terrible first half. There are 0 examples in NFL history of a team winning in the playoffs giving up 6TDs in 7 possessions.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think it was clear that Lance is not going to replace Dak. At this point in his career he should be a lot further along. He is still young, but the question has to be, will he ever be an NFL QB or was it just a big mistake when he was rated so high coming out of college? If he was a rookie you could argue patience. But he is going into his 4th year. The Cowboys have to decide to pay him after this year or let him go. After 3 years in the NFL to be that inaccurate with short passes, and unable to throw passes longer than 15 yards with any degree of accuracy, is a clear indication he is a bust.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think it was clear that Lance is not going to replace Dak. At this point in his career he should be a lot further along. He is still young, but the question has to be, will he ever be an NFL QB or was it just a big mistake when he was rated so high coming out of college? If he was a rookie you could argue patience. But he is going into his 4th year. The Cowboys have to decide to pay him after this year or let him go. After 3 years in the NFL to be that inaccurate with short passes, and unable to throw passes longer than 15 yards with any degree of accuracy, is a clear indication he is a bust.
I think it's clear Trance is not replacing anyone, never mind Dak. The sad part is why did it take so long for people to figure it out? Some still think he played well. :facepalm:

btgboys41

Reaction score
Lance did fine. It is a good baseline to see if he shows improvement in several areas. I would hope the coach (probably Jerry) will continue to give him a ton of reps.

If he improves on his yards per completion, and rings the bell in the red zone, then I would be very encouraged. If not, then he will be gone cuz he won’t get the chance to improve once the season starts.

stiletto

Reaction score
Price? Really? If he is decent then he is going to get what? About 35 M. You think 20M is the difference between a championship and what we are today? Because for all intent and purposes Lance is average and needs a lot of support around him.

And BTW Lance is a FA next year. Jerry believed in him so much he didn't pick up his 25M option for 2025....
Not sure what you are arguing about? If they sign Lance as a developmental/Backup QB, no way he gets $25M/y and no way anyone will pay him that anywhere else either. He might get Backup QB money. which is fine if he shows improvement the next couple of pre-season games..

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance did fine. It is a good baseline to see if he shows improvement in several areas. I would hope the coach (probably Jerry) will continue to give him a ton of reps.

If he improves on his yards per completion, and rings the bell in the red zone, then I would be very encouraged. If not, then he will be gone cuz he won’t get the chance to improve once the season starts.
He did not play well and even if he did or does in the next 2 preseason games against scrubs(which he should) he will then go back to the bench and watch Dak play.

So next year he will be a 25 year old FA who still desperately lacks playing experience to develop. Who and when is going to give him that opportunity to play?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's not Mahomes. But he's not fellow 4th round pick stiff, stephen magee either. Let him play and we'll see what he can do. Has to get the ball out, has to get the throws lower. Maybe he can fix that, maybe he can't. We'll see. We aren't the dopes that spent the 3rd overall pick on him.
He played yesterday and we saw what he can and can’t do. He needs to spend a couple of years in the UFL to see if his instincts improve any.