Lance was very disappointing

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How many years of college and NFL playing time does Grier have in comparison?
Will Grier only had two NFL starts and that was back in 2019. Last summer he played the third preseason game with nothing but bubble players and looked way better than Lance did yesterday. Lance is entering his 4th NFL season and looked like a raw rookie taking his first NFL snaps. He hasn’t looked good in camp and he didn’t look good yesterday. Eventually he’s going to end up in the UFL.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
... but, but, but he's had so few snaps.

Yea bro, me too???
I wonder why? total mystery.

A top 5 overall pick is not failing due to lack of opportunities.
In fact, you could argue Lance was drafted into the most QB friendly offense in football
He has the world's best QB development afforded him.
He was in Cali with all the QB whisperers a la Duke and a massive salary to afford luxury 1v1 training!

At some point it is on the player to step up or get gone.

If you get 3 wishes with that genie, I wouldn't waste one here.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The plan is to be in the bottom half of the league in wins until a new capable quarterback can be acquired and devel

You people have been saying this for the last 4 years. Stop already
And in four year as the Dak detractors continue their litany, the situation hasn't changed. Once you get rid of him, you need a solid plan. One of the respondents suggested drafting a QB in the first or second. That isn't an answer if you are drafting late in the first and second. Which has been the situation because this lame arse QB keeps putting together enough wins to get to the tourney, yet can't seem to get past that hump. But even with this drafting idea, what is the success rate of finding a guy that can actually play and win? I know nothing about the kid drafted by the Bears, but the world has anointed him it would appear. He is set up for a massive fall if he is not the next Mahomes.

So you draft Jock Rockly in the late 20's. How far away from the first several picks can you fall to get this mythical replacement for Dak that came at least get you to the play-offs regularly. And how long will it take for Rockly to get to the point he can deliver consistently?

Or, dump Dak and put in the redhead Cooper Clutch. Enjoy that six win season, which bumps you down out of the real talent QB's where they are normally drafted.

If it isn't obvious, Jerry thinks he can find a cheap replacement to groom, which means he frees up major cap money. But he wants to sell this as a plan to get better, when in reality, once Dak leaves next season he will replace him with a QB that is cheap and cannot get it done.

The whining commences when the losing commences. And eventually, just my opinion, people will begin commenting they should have just kept Dak. No one will admit that now, but I recall the late 80's, and the post Aikman debacle at QB when they put in Quincy, and a host of baseballers and the product stunk on ice.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I see why they traded him.

I think he'd be a decent backup in Philly, where the offense suits his strengths. But this guy is not a drop back passer.
Nobody QBing the Cowboys today would have had a decent day today because the pocket protection was flat out horrible. The Rams FRONT FOUR dominated today and if it hadn't been for all the interceptions our offense would have had trouble moving the ball into field goal rage. The offense line was a joke yesterday...............

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Now that the PFF data is out it's pretty interesting to look at....before everyone jumps on me for using PFF I'm using their charting, not the subjective grading.

His average time to throw (TTT) was 3.22 seconds....to compare Dak last year was 2.69. Lance's time was inflated a little because of his ability to escape the pocket and run so on the 18 downs where he was under pressure he actually had 4.34 seconds on average. When not under pressure he did seem to get the ball out on time averaging 2.52 with a clean pocket, and 2.57 seconds when blitzed.

The numbers really show that where he struggled was against the blitz....Just 6-15 for 40 yards compared to 19-26 for 143 with a blitz on.

PFF also gave him an adjusted completion % of 75% after putting 5 drops on the receivers.

Mid range throws are where he did any damage at all. 6-8 for 91 yards on passes 10-20 yards.

He also did horrible off of play action which really surprises me. I almost wonder if the Cowboys pass heavy attack trying to evaluate Lance did a disservice to not only Lance but some of the OL as well? 44 passes compared to 17 runs on the day really allowed LA's DL to tee off and get pressure even on non passing downs and play action.

I think there is something to build on here, but it all comes back to can Lance fix the accuracy issues where were on full display yesterday.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Defense got 4, repeat, FOUR ints. Gave the ball to Lance at the LA 44 and LA 23.

And Lance still couldn't get a touchdown.

Preseason or not, playing with second stringers or not, that's not a good showing.

He's got 3 more games to show me something.

We'll see....

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
24 pages in but here is my initial takes on Trey Lance.

Strengths:
-Great size, arm strength, and athleticism
-Top leadership qualities
-Stands tough in the pocket and will take a hit to get the pass off

Weaknesses:
-Does not look capable of throwing receivers open, needs a wide open target
-Lacks touch on short to intermediate routes; throws every pass one hundred miles per hour
-Ball placement is wildly inconsistent, too many high throws

Based on what I saw yesterday Lance looks like he will top out as a high level backup at this level. His lack of experience is a big factor, but right now I see exactly why the 49ers gave up on him so quickly.

tomokawan

Reaction score
What you're saying are the same thing, just opposite sides of the coin. In one case the team comes back. In the other, they don't. What I think aggravated most fans was, what were they doing while the other team was scoring 6 out of 7 possessions? Maybe had the Cowboys responded, the Packers wouldn't have scored so much. Momentum is huge in this game.

Go back to 2008 when the Packers scored like 5 straight TDs, Arizona still won.

Back to 1992 when the Bills gave up 35 straight points. The Bills responded with a TD, onside kick, and another quick TD. That sparked their defense. The other side of the coin is that not happening. Like the game against the Packers.
Huh?? That is faulty logic. You pick 2 miracle games out of a 1000. 99% of the games don't work like that. If your defense let's teams score on every possession, that puts a hell of alot more pressure on your offense. Most games and teams would not win that type of game. You have got to make stops, period. Yes, the offense should have been better, but that defense was horrible.

tomokawan

Reaction score
those drops were WRs fault? or was it inaccuracy? I mean he missed an end zone WRs by 5 yards over his head....is that the WRs fault.

its funny, all you all in your desparation come up with any excuse for Lance...somebody even said he has been a victim all his life of coaching injustice...

now, its hey if WRs catch three ball he has a 70% completin rate and coming up with literally fake stats.
Yes some of those drops were clearly the recievers fault. The two by Mr. Math were awful.

Flamma

Reaction score
Those games you mentioned were by balanced teams. The Cowboys were in no way a balanced team last year for reasons that have been stated a million times since the end of the season. The team was weak in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Both defense and offense were 1 dimensional. Their best RB was not 100% coming back from an injury. They flashed against weaker teams because they couldn’t take advantage of their weaknesses. Just agains shows to prove that you’ll never go far in the playoffs being 1 dimensional on both sides the of the ball. Everytime, Dak would try a play action pass, the defense would start laughing.
Spot on. You're a fan that watched all of the games. I'm not arguing your point. But how balanced was Green Bay coming into our house at 9-8? Two or three years ago they wouldn't have made the playoffs. There was something else wrong with our team. I'm not going to try to tell you what it was, because I don't know. But I'm fairly certain it wasn't because the much better team came in and kicked our *****. There was more to it than that. What you're describing is our season, and probably not why we would reach the SB. But not why we lost to GB.

Flamma

Reaction score
Huh?? That is faulty logic. You pick 2 miracle games out of a 1000. 99% of the games don't work like that. If your defense let's teams score on every possession, that puts a hell of alot more pressure on your offense. Most games and teams would not win that type of game. You have got to make stops, period. Yes, the offense should have been better, but that defense was horrible.
I'm just saying. You have bad starts, and comebacks. You also have bad starts, and no comebacks. Just to give a more recent example, didn't the Chargers have like a 27-3 lead on the Jags at halftime? Something like that? The Jags started scoring giving the D momentum. You can't just roll over and die because the D is playing terrible. You have to respond. Had the Cowboys responded before it was too late, and the D couldn't stop a nose bleed, it wouldn't look so bad. Ok we lost, but we gave it our best shot. Similar to the 1994 championship game we lost against the 49ers after being down 21-0 early on. They fought back hard. I have great respect for that team. They didn't just roll over and die and come back to life when the game was over, and all of the pressure was off.

Adreme

Reaction score
So how come our offense couldn't do that?
Because there are 0 examples in playoff history of a team winning when they give up 6TDs in the first 7 possessions.

I said there are a LOT of examples of an offense having a bad first half and winning. However there are 0 when the defense is historically bad the ENTIRE game.

The offense moved the ball in the 2nd half and the defense responded by giving up more TDs.

Adreme

Reaction score
I'm just saying. You have bad starts, and comebacks. You also have bad starts, and no comebacks. Just to give a more recent example, didn't the Chargers have like a 27-3 lead on the Jags at halftime? Something like that? The Jags started scoring giving the D momentum. You can't just roll over and die because the D is playing terrible. You have to respond. Had the Cowboys responded before it was too late, and the D couldn't stop a nose bleed, it wouldn't look so bad. Ok we lost, but we gave it our best shot. Similar to the 1994 championship game we lost against the 49ers after being down 21-0 early on. They fought back hard. I have great respect for that team. They didn't just roll over and die and come back to life when the game was over, and all of the pressure was off.
You are absolutely right to cite that game because it actually proves my point and not yours. The Cowboys offense was scoring at the start of the second half and the defense responded by giving up more TDs. When the Jaguars started scoring after halftime the defense responded by forcing punts.

Also fun fact that game started off as 27-0 after 4 Lawrence INTs in the first half.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because there are 0 examples in playoff history of a team winning when they give up 6TDs in the first 7 possessions.

I said there are a LOT of examples of an offense having a bad first half and winning. However there are 0 when the defense is historically bad the ENTIRE game.

The offense moved the ball in the 2nd half and the defense responded by giving up more TDs.
Youhave to link that bad defense to a bad offense together...

and maybe provide me a couple example of what games you are talking about so i can decide for myself.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Spot on. You're a fan that watched all of the games. I'm not arguing your point. But how balanced was Green Bay coming into our house at 9-8? Two or three years ago they wouldn't have made the playoffs. There was something else wrong with our team. I'm not going to try to tell you what it was, because I don't know. But I'm fairly certain it wasn't because the much better team came in and kicked our *****. There was more to it than that. What you're describing is our season, and probably not why we would reach the SB. But not why we lost to GB.
Good physical teams all beat the Cowboys because the Cowboys were weak in the trenches. Can’t win being a 1 dimensional defense and a 1 dimensional offense.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are absolutely right to cite that game because it actually proves my point and not yours. The Cowboys offense was scoring at the start of the second half and the defense responded by giving up more TDs. When the Jaguars started scoring after halftime the defense responded by forcing punts.

Also fun fact that game started off as 27-0 after 4 Lawrence INTs in the first half.
You may very well be right. But we are veering off the point here.

Did Dak help...or hurt...our struggling defense in the GB game?

It could very well have been 13-7 at half time...if Dak just makes a couple 1st downs or so instead of interceptions deep in our territory.

I really don;t care about the history of it...to be honest. That might chase you off....okay!

Adreme

Reaction score
a D+, that a passing grade....... nice :thumbup:
The grade is fine as the highest QB grades last year overall were 90.4 by Lamar and Dak so getting an “A” is tough.

The problem is that being your grade against practice squad players and players who won’t make rosters. If a player is trying to show they are an NFL player they dominate these games. The fact that he played a below average game against that competition is the problem.