Lance was very disappointing

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The grade is fine as the highest QB grades last year overall were 90.4 by Lamar and Dak so getting an “A” is tough.

The problem is that being your grade against practice squad players and players who won’t make rosters. If a player is trying to show they are an NFL player they dominate these games. The fact that he played a below average game against that competition is the problem.
So you're saying most teams don't hope to having a D+ QB on the roster?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Grier only had two NFL starts and that was back in 2019. Last summer he played the third preseason game with nothing but bubble players and looked way better than Lance did yesterday. Lance is entering his 4th NFL season and looked like a raw rookie taking his first NFL snaps. He hasn’t looked good in camp and he didn’t look good yesterday. Eventually he’s going to end up in the UFL.
So you are saying lance's 1st three seasons have the same qualities as ...say...Daks?

I was thinking the injury derailed his progress...then a new team. Maybe you feel that has nothing to do with ANYthing...that's fine.

Adreme

Reaction score
Youhave to link that bad defense to a bad offense together...

and maybe provide me a couple example of what games you are talking about so i can decide for myself.
There are a lot. There are the easy examples of Patriots v Falcons or the recent Jaguars vs Chargers.

However, those are examples that mirror the score and there are better examples of a mindblowing concept: when the offense is struggling the defense is not required to give up points. The 49ers did not give up 28 points in the first half when Purdy struggled against the Packers (they did give up 24 when he struggled against Detroit but they again they stepped up in the second half). Lamar Jackson looked awful until the last drive of the first half against Houston and the defense only gave up 10 points in that half, because the defense understood that they are not required to be terrible when the offense is off.

The Cowboys defense had a fundamental problem in that if the offense could not start hot and get a lead they could not play. They were AWFUL if the option of running the ball existed. Unfortunately in the playoffs you cant win if you have such a glaring flaw. That just is not going to happen. Its the same reason the Ravens have struggled in the playoffs as you are not always going to be ahead.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just don't understand why anyone expected better from Lance. This is his 4th year, and he has never looked like an NFL QB. He is just as much of a mess as a passer as he was his first preseason

Adreme

Reaction score
So you're saying most teams don't hope to having a D+ QB on the roster?
Your problem is that is not how they score. If you were treating it like a class and the top 2 students could not crack 91, you would assume something is wrong with the grader. Having a 68 score for a game is fine. Mahomes had multiple last year. The difference is that he had them against NFL defenses and not practice squad players. If Lance was to play in ANY game, any defense he faces will be significant better than the one he struggled against. That is the red flag. That performance would be concerning but not worrying if it were against an actual NFL defense.

Adreme

Reaction score
The biggest concern with how Lance played is that the entire scouting report on him, good and bad, still holds up. He still has a canon for an arm and still is very mobile. However he is still wildly inaccurate and slow at reading, even a preseason, NFL defense. Preseason defenses are not complex. They arent trying to disguise things. It should be very obvious what is happening on any given play so if you cant read those you cant read a real defense. Its concerning that we are in year 4 and he has not improved at any of his problem areas.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I could see the tools where he could be a good QB, but unfortunately I would say it is 3 years of working with him away.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just don't understand why anyone expected better from Lance. This is his 4th year, and he has never looked like an NFL QB. He is just as much of a mess as a passer as he was his first preseason
I was hoping for a better result from Lance. Shoot me.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Your problem is that is not how they score. If you were treating it like a class and the top 2 students could not crack 91, you would assume something is wrong with the grader. Having a 68 score for a game is fine. Mahomes had multiple last year. The difference is that he had them against NFL defenses and not practice squad players. If Lance was to play in ANY game, any defense he faces will be significant better than the one he struggled against. That is the red flag. That performance would be concerning but not worrying if it were against an actual NFL defense.
Sorry bro, there must be some confusion and just to clarify, I found just about everything about his performance concerning. D+ performance against D/D- competition is generally not a good thing........ :laugh:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He should have had enough juice to light it up a bit last night. His throwing accuracy and anticipation are not that of NFL level.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was hoping for a better result from Lance. Shoot me.
Why? Its not like he is rookie or even a 2nd year. He has a clear history or poor play. He even regressed last year to the point that he couldnt even beat our Sam Darnold for a back up spot.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He should have had enough juice to light it up a bit last night. His throwing accuracy and anticipation are not that of NFL level.
He definitely should’ve done better but I wouldn’t give up on him. They’ve got 1 more year with him to see if he can improve. He needs to stop thinking and just play the game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why? It’s not like he is rookie or even a 2nd year. He has a clear history or poor play. He even regressed last year to the point that he couldnt even beat our Sam Darnold for a back up spot.
Well, he had different coaches here and a full year to learn the system. So yeah, I was hoping for better.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot. There are the easy examples of Patriots v Falcons or the recent Jaguars vs Chargers.

However, those are examples that mirror the score and there are better examples of a mindblowing concept: when the offense is struggling the defense is not required to give up points. The 49ers did not give up 28 points in the first half when Purdy struggled against the Packers (they did give up 24 when he struggled against Detroit but they again they stepped up in the second half). Lamar Jackson looked awful until the last drive of the first half against Houston and the defense only gave up 10 points in that half, because the defense understood that they are not required to be terrible when the offense is off.

The Cowboys defense had a fundamental problem in that if the offense could not start hot and get a lead they could not play. They were AWFUL if the option of running the ball existed. Unfortunately in the playoffs you cant win if you have such a glaring flaw. That just is not going to happen. Its the same reason the Ravens have struggled in the playoffs as you are not always going to be ahead.
It would appear the opposite is also true....if defense is flat....is our offense gonna scratch and claw back?

It would appear both sides of the ball have issues....and when they happen at the same time...we're in trouble.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, he had different coaches here and a full year to learn the system. So yeah, I was hoping for better.
In SF he had the coach that made Matt Ryan an MVP, and he couldnt do anything with him. People that had any expectations of Lance ignored the clear indicators

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The dak apologist say dak had a bad game against green Bay. Now...dak obviously has record of some really good games....he doesn't have to prove anything.

And yet still capable of having a bad game.

So this does happen. Maybe Lance needs a couple more games? We can afford it.

Flamma

Reaction score
You are absolutely right to cite that game because it actually proves my point and not yours. The Cowboys offense was scoring at the start of the second half and the defense responded by giving up more TDs. When the Jaguars started scoring after halftime the defense responded by forcing punts.

Also fun fact that game started off as 27-0 after 4 Lawrence INTs in the first half.
What was the Cowboys offense doing at the start of the second half? They were anemic. They could barely move the ball. They got FG. We looked like trash!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Couldn't complete a simple fade pattern. He has a lllooonnnggg way to go.