Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swagger

Reaction score
Its not hate. It's just realism. And note, I was firmly in the camp that they should have tried to trade Dak earlier this year and fired McCarthy to hire a young, offensive minded HC to work with Lance.

But that's knowing it would be likely Lance would fail and this team would be entering a rebuild. But that's not the direction the Cowboys took here. They still think they can win and in that sense, trying to argue Lance is as viable an option for this current team as Dak is just foolishness at this point.
My point about the Dak Prescott fans being obsessed with other quarterbacks failing wasn't aimed at you as I appreciate you can see the wood from the trees.

To be fair most people have Lance down as more of a backup type. The only quarterback who has played with the same players as Prescott was a practice squad QB and he went 5-1 during the regular season including beating the Bengals who had played in the Superbowl earlier that year. Although apparently it doesn't count and it's irrelevant because the defense played well and it was only a third of an NFL season. Go figure! - Dak Prescott fans are a scream!

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Jerry was worried about having to pay two head coaches. I have little doubt that money was why he let Garrett run out his contract and why he is doing that with McCarthy. When Jerry whined about "dead money" for coaches, it all then just made sense.

LOL, god we are so screwed.
I think Jerry felt he was stuck with Dak for 1 more season due to his contract- so he thought there was no benefit to firing McCarthy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have never once said that I think we should hitch our wagon to Lance, and I don't think we should for the record.

So that particular comment needs to be directed elsewhere, as it isn't representative of my viewpoint

That said, I think we are dealing with the opposite viewpoint. Meaning we have many in this fan base that are so blindly devoted to Dak that they refuse to consider the possibility of having anyone else other than number four under Center for the Cowboys

Lance didn't look good last night. But he didn't look anywhere near as bad as Dak looked in the first half against Green Bay after 8 years of practice. Yet somehow in their eyes Lance is disqualified forever while Dak deserves a 60 million a year upgrade

Those are the folks with an agenda. Not me friend
In fairness, it's more than one preseason game. Lance had real struggles in San Fran. And they have a great coaching staff there and still couldn't get much out of him to the point they moved the guy for a 4th round pick a few years after trading a bunch of picks to get in to a position to draft him. And some of the criticisms of Lance in San Fran showed up in that game last night - inaccuracy, lack of touch, etc. And let's also note he's gotten lukewarm reviews, at best, from camp workouts.

So to pretend people are crapping on Lance for one bad preseason game is a bit of a reach here.

pansophy

Reaction score
True, but if he had those guys, the Rams would had their starters on defense, too, running true schemes, and the game would have been much faster.

It's been two years since he played. Let's see how he's doing by the end of preseason.
Yeah, guys that have a shot at doing something in the regular season light it up in the preseason when everything is vanilla. Bad footwork leading to inaccurate passing. He needs another year.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
The same vanilla offense that we'll be using during this season. Three WR's to one side, Boring!!! Same inside run plays up the middle, BORING, same Bootleg plays BORING

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
The Vikings rookie QB was 11-18 for 180 something yards and two TDs and he wasnt throwing to Justin Jefferson.

There was not a single positive that I can take away from what we saw from Lance. His passes were crap. Even his completions were at the shins, way up high, or behind receivers. He was indecisive which is the worst thing a qb can be. The reports Ive seen the entire training camp was that he was incredibly inaccurate. Well, those reports were 100% accurate. I suspect he will get the same amount of playing tim ein the next 2 games, and if he looks like this, he will be cut.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yeah, guys that have a shot at doing something in the regular season light it up in the preseason when everything is vanilla. Bad footwork leading to inaccurate passing. He needs another year.
another year? this is his 4th season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Give Cooper Rush some credit. He gets it done, we saw that a couple years ago when dak was out.
Cooper Rush reminds me of another red-headed backup we once had (hopefully, this one will never be hired as head coach just because he's a smart, former Cowboy). Kind of like on the deep pass to Jalen Brooks. He had Brooks behind the defense and gave it all his limited arm strength could, giving Brooks a chance to come back and make a play on the ball, which he did. That's like the Thanksgiving game where Garrett just kept floating the ball deep and our receivers would go get them.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is where I disagree. This isnt the Cowboys team that we had under Garrett. We went 4-1 with Cooper Rush.

Now if you want to argue that Rush is a better QB than Lance at this point, thats fine. But he isnt terrible to the point where we would have no hope.

His play in this game shouldnt warrant all the “omg he is terrible, he shouldnt be in the NFL”

You can't really use a 5 game window with Rush and then project over a season that Lance would be able to win a bunch of games. I firmly believe this is a 4-5 win team with Lance right now (barring some major improvement over the rest of the preseason). And in a certain scenario, that would be have been cool with me.

But Jerry botched that seven different ways to Sunday. I don't know about whether Lance should be in the NFL, that seems excessive. But from what we have seen and heard from camp, he's a middling backup QB a this point.

Swagger

Reaction score
In fairness, it's more than one preseason game. Lance had real struggles in San Fran. And they have a great coaching staff there and still couldn't get much out of him to the point they moved the guy for a 4th round pick a few years after trading a bunch of picks to get in to a position to draft him. And some of the criticisms of Lance in San Fran showed up in that game last night - inaccuracy, lack of touch, etc. And let's also note he's gotten lukewarm reviews, at best, from camp workouts.

So to pretend people are crapping on Lance for one bad preseason game is a bit of a reach here.
I don't disagree much with the above but let's give him until the end of pre season before his goose has been cooked.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think we should at least give Lance 8 seasons.

Then maybe, MAYBE, we can judge him appropriately.

Maybe.
Ive never been a Dak guy, but give me a break. 36tds and 9 picks. Thats all I need to say. I dont want to hear about playoffs because guys that havent done squat in th eplayoffs dont get the same criticism Dak gets. Ill take 1st rd exits over 6-11 seasons all day, cause that is where we would be with Lance as our starter. And I didnt need to see yesterday to come to that conclusion. Ive been saying it since the day we got him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You certainly don't crown Lance as anything with that performance yesterday, but I completely agree that many are too quick to write him off at this point. The accuracy issues have to get cleaned up if he ever wants to be anything more than depth in this league. There is a lot that I liked from Lance yesterday, but it doesn't matter if he can't throw a simple ball into the flat, or be a real threat to complete a pass more than 20 yards.

His pocket awareness and ability to always keep his head looking downfield is excellent though. From his film in SF this is an area he really seemed to struggle. Overall though good mobility, the guy has some natural strength in that arm to flick it downfield with ease. The guy also just looked like he was in control and understood the Xs and Os of the game. Lots to work with here, the question is do the Cowboys have time to actually work with him?

The real concern I would have if I'm the Cowboys is can this be a player who is the QB2 because you really want your backup to be able to run the same offense as your starter, just maybe a slightly abbreviated form of it. We know Cooper Rush can do that. Lance in this first preseason game shows that he probably needs an offense more catered to his current skill set. I get the feeling the guy can play in this league, but clearly isnt ready to be a drop back QB. I see him as really being his best with a lot of misdirection in the run game, rolling pockets, and a lot more RPOs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Guy with less than 5 starts to his credit playing his first game on a new team is less effective than 8 year starter

Are you surprised by this?
LOL. No, I am not surprised. We also know Lance had serious struggles in San Fran and that was with a better coaching staff than we have.

So I am not surprised Lance is worse than Dak. I also wouldn't be surprised if Lance never amounts to anything given the issues he has. He's so far from being even the averagish QB Dak is.

Swagger

Reaction score
You can't really use a 5 game window with Rush and then project over a season that Lance would be able to win a bunch of games. I firmly believe this is a 4-5 win team with Lance right now (barring some major improvement over the rest of the preseason). And in a certain scenario, that would be have been cool with me.

But Jerry botched that seven different ways to Sunday. I don't know about whether Lance should be in the NFL, that seems excessive. But from what we have seen and heard from camp, he's a middling backup QB a this point.
The question is how many bad NFL teams can go 5-1 with a practice squad QB including beating a solid yardstick in the Vikings and the Bengals with Burrow? My answer would be zero so the point isn't that Rush is the long term solution but that Prescott isn't as he isn't the difference maker some would have you believe. The Cowboys must have had a good/very good team to go 5-1 with a practice squad QB unless it was the coaching?! Therefore, Prescott is not indespensible and that's the pertinent point.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I can already see this thread is gonna give me lots of good ammo for this season.

Y’all hating on Lance for playing with car salesman better hope Dak plays lights out every week with the starters.
Car salesman wouldnt have caught Lance's passes yesterday like our salesman did.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Ive never been a Dak guy, but give me a break. 36tds and 9 picks. Thats all I need to say. I dont want to hear about playoffs because guys that havent done squat in th eplayoffs dont get the same criticism Dak gets. Ill take 1st rd exits over 6-11 seasons all day, cause that is where we would be with Lance as our starter. And I didnt need to see yesterday to come to that conclusion. Ive been saying it since the day we got him.
“I don’t need to hear about playoffs” - Dak fans.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I would love Lance to be the guy but this is as bad as people claiming Dak balled out 4th quarter of the GB game. Accuracy issues and slow reads every where. Every throw high because of his mechanics. The corner fade in the endzone 5 feet out of bounds. I desperately wanna move on from Dak but Lance has a long way to go if ever.
Lance is terrible. I know college is college, but nailing an endzone corner route in college aint much different than doing it on Sundays, and his passes suck.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
No one, not even Mahomes, was going to look great behind those line combinations.

Having said that, he could have definitely been better. The most concerning thing to me was that he wasn't accurate with the dump offs to the back in the flat. He very rarely put it where it needed to be when it needed to be there. That's a pass you expect him to be on point 9 out of 10.

Let's get him game reps with a functioning Oline & see how he does.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
LOL. No, I am not surprised. We also know Lance had serious struggles in San Fran and that was with a better coaching staff than we have.

So I am not surprised Lance is worse than Dak. I also wouldn't be surprised if Lance never amounts to anything given the issues he has. He's so far from being even the above average QB Dak is.
I'm not sold on either one of them TBH. But I've seen enough of Dak to be totally done with him. I need to see a little bit more of Lance before I get to that same point

Status
Not open for further replies.