News: LandryHat: Ezekiel Elliott Rumor Too Good to Be True?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Many people think zeke still has it? I haven’t seen anyone that thinks that, let alone many.
Yeah, he really fell off towards the end of the season. I never want to see him in a Cowboys uni again. I grow sour on old backs, fast.

For the record, though, I've never seen anyone decline as fast as Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s funny. Fans were mad at Zeke for holding out and now praise a potential release of the guy. No loyalty.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, he really fell off towards the end of the season. I never want to see him in a Cowboys uni again. I grow sour on old backs, fast.
I saw every snap the guy played. Saw him play hurt when he should’ve sat out. It’s clear injuries are slowing him down. He will show flashes of brilliance but not enough to warrant the salary.

rambo2

Reaction score
Idk, I can't see anything good that can come out of paying somebody 11mil to not play for you. The best thing for the team, and for the cap is to work out a paycut. Big paycut cause clearly he's still producing. 800 and 12 tds is worth something. Obviously not 16.7 mil, but for 6-7 mil yup. If you can get it done. If you can't then yeah cut him.
The best thing for the team is what they are going to do. They are going to cut him. The team gets better immediately by getting a better back in the draft and gaining some money to use elsewhere like receiver.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I believe a lot of fans look at how Elliott played at the end of the season (when Pollard was injured) and that's all they see. They forget that for most of the season, Pollard and Elliott were one of the top 1-2 punches in the league.

Now, I think the end of the season shows that Elliott is just a complimentary back at this point and doesn't have enough gas in the tank to be strong for a full season if his carries aren't managed. But there is reason to believe he can still be part of a tandem if he's willing to play at a complimentary back price that severely lowers his cap hit.
Dallas uses a 2 back rotation.

Zeke is power. TonyP is speed. Or was, before his leg was wrecked.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Cebrin

Reaction score
Many people think zeke still has it? I haven’t seen anyone that thinks that, let alone many.
Depends on where he goes. The power run line he started with vs what we have now are two different things. Zeke is a patient down hill guy. This line isn't the same as 2016. Zeke is no scrub, we just don't fit his scheme anymore.

MikeT22

Reaction score
This is the perfect time to do it. Zeke's contract with no more guaranteed money plus a deep RB class. Really should be a no-brainer.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
I've seen numerous believers here in this forum just this past week. Especially when you count the people who say, "Well if Zeke takes a little pay cut then sure." Check out the threads. LM is just one.

Another believer:

Trust me. Lot of people think Zeke still brings real value as a primary player. I don't get it, but it's out there...and here.
Zeke should be cut. However, Jerry may make a deal to keep him around but if he does it's going to be a significant haircut. Zeke has $10.9 million coming to him from restructured contract
even if he never plays another down.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
"On Sunday, ESPN’s Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler shared what they were hearing around the league from the Combine, and Graziano came away believing that the Cowboys cutting Elliott is a real possibility."

"It’s important to note that Graziano isn’t just speculating. It doesn’t take a league insider to pinpoint the positives of releasing Elliott. From the moment Elliott signed his extension in 2019, everyone pointed to the 2023 offseason as a potential out for the Cowboys. The fact he has no guaranteed money left is one thing, but his rapidly-declining athleticism makes it somewhat of a no-brainer."

LINK: https://thelandryhat.com/2023/03/06/latest-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-rumor-release-combine-pollard/
All true, but what if Tony Pollard is not fully healed by the time the 2023 season starts? The Cowboys are going to be in a big hole needing a RB who can carry the load if Zeke is cut and Pollard is not recovered. Even if Pollard had not gotten injured, he doesn't have the size to handle full duties and be able to carry the weight at RB. So, what should the Cowboys do without putting themselves in a bigger hole at RB?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dallas uses a 2 back rotation.

Zeke is power. TonyP is speed. Or was, before his leg was wrecked.
And I would continue to expect them to try to do that, but when Elliott was drafted, he was both speed and power. The two-back rotation picked up as Elliott dropped off and we lucked into Pollard.

I would think either we a) draft a back early to pair with Pollard this year if we cut Elliott or b) draft a back midround if we keep both Pollard and Elliott, then release one or both of them next year. Whether we release both will depend on what we see from this year's draft pick. If he shows bell-cow ability, then we go midround with a back again. If he only shows complementary ability, then we either spend an early pick on another back or we re-sign Pollard. If he shows no ability, then we might have to rinse and repeat what we do this year.

quickccc

Reaction score
This situation reminds me of the Last Days of Dez.

Many fans thought Dez was still something special when Cowboys released him. Many people still think Zeke is at least an average starter, or would be at least a premium role player.

Don't be surprised, folks, if Zeke never plays another down for anyone, despite his desire to continue. Just sayin.
it's totally different to me, ... Dez situation was marred with whispers and allegations of cut-throat, backstabbing,.finger pointing ....locker room cancer ..

. that's not coming from the Zeke camp at all... it's a total mutual liking among teammates

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Idk, I can't see anything good that can come out of paying somebody 11mil to not play for you. The best thing for the team, and for the cap is to work out a paycut. Big paycut cause clearly he's still producing. 800 and 12 tds is worth something. Obviously not 16.7 mil, but for 6-7 mil yup. If you can get it done. If you can't then yeah cut him.
From a cap standpoint, this is very true. The best thing is for Zeke to take a paycut down to around $6 million dollars because that is what the dead money hit would be if he is released.

So in effect, he is playing for "free" and as you said, 800 yards and 12 TDs is worth something so if you can get Zeke to basically play for free and he puts up similar numbers this year (800 yds and 12 TDs), then its a win win for both Zeke and the team.

So obviously the big decision Zeke and his agent have to make is can Zeke get more than $6 million on the open market? If they think he can, then he refuses the Cowboy's offer and takes his release. If he thinks $6 mill is probably the same or higher than what he would get on the open market, then he accepts the pay cut from the Cowboys.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
This situation reminds me of the Last Days of Dez.

Many fans thought Dez was still something special when Cowboys released him. Many people still think Zeke is at least an average starter, or would be at least a premium role player.

Don't be surprised, folks, if Zeke never plays another down for anyone, despite his desire to continue. Just sayin.
Zeke has a couple of years left in him, but I’d rather that time be spent with the Commanders or Giants.

T-RO

Reaction score
Zeke has a couple of years left in him, but I’d rather that time be spent with the Commanders or Giants.

There are sucker fans and there are suckers in front offices. Just don't want the sucker to be the Cowboys. Whatever Zeke offers at this point can be matched or exceeded by a 5th round rookie RB costing next to nothing. And the rookie might actually have *upside potential*

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Rebuild the offensive line to blow out holes and pass protect. That and a WR is the main priority on that side of the ball.