News: LandryHat: Ezekiel Elliott Rumor Too Good to Be True?

tunahelper

Reaction score
It’s sorta up to Zeke. If he thinks he can make more than 5 or 6 million per season on the free market, he’ll probably request a release. No way Dallas pays him more than that.
Please do not pay him half that amount. We might get the same production if we gave McGovern hand offs next year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s sorta up to Zeke. If he thinks he can make more than 5 or 6 million per season on the free market, he’ll probably request a release. No way Dallas pays him more than that.
So your saying that the Cowboys are only going to pay him what they would have in dead cap money if they release him? Not sure how that works out money wise.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
"They’d save $4.8 million on the cap by releasing running back Ezekiel Elliott ($10.9 million if they designate him as a post-June 1 cut)..."

To me, the latter is the move. Too many other holes to fill with that almost $11 million. Get a younger, cheaper model in the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"On Sunday, ESPN’s Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler shared what they were hearing around the league from the Combine, and Graziano came away believing that the Cowboys cutting Elliott is a real possibility."

"It’s important to note that Graziano isn’t just speculating. It doesn’t take a league insider to pinpoint the positives of releasing Elliott. From the moment Elliott signed his extension in 2019, everyone pointed to the 2023 offseason as a potential out for the Cowboys. The fact he has no guaranteed money left is one thing, but his rapidly-declining athleticism makes it somewhat of a no-brainer."

LINK: https://thelandryhat.com/2023/03/06/latest-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-rumor-release-combine-pollard/
LandryHat was originally some 5th graders and a Dad helped them get a website up and running.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This situation reminds me of the Last Days of Dez.

Many fans thought Dez was still something special when Cowboys released him. Many people still think Zeke is at least an average starter, or would be at least a premium role player.

Don't be surprised, folks, if Zeke never plays another down for anyone, despite his desire to continue. Just sayin.
If I'm Zeke's friend, I'm telling him to quit.

He can only make a small fraction of his recent salary. He's lost a step, or two, and at best he's headed for another year like this one, the designated punishment back.

Will not push his net wealth on the field. Will only grind down his health. RBs are definitely guys who should leave a year too early over a year too late.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
"They’d save $4.8 million on the cap by releasing running back Ezekiel Elliott ($10.9 million if they designate him as a post-June 1 cut)..."

To me, the latter is the move. Too many other holes to fill with that almost $11 million. Get a younger, cheaper model in the draft.
Get two.
RBs can be had in mid to late rounds, but it's hit or miss. If we get two, the second isn't going to waste. We'll need him in 2024 when we wave goodbye to Pollard. Probably need him this year when Pollard and whoever we pair him with miss some games.

Xeven

Reaction score
Zeke go play in USFL. Would have star power there and probably seem reenergized.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I saw absolutely zero brilliant light in 2022. Not one single play that made me think: "I didn't see nearly so much yardage possible on that carry!" And the stats show nothing but a dull and fading comet which was once luminous.

The Zeke defenders are still here, not as deeply entrenched, but still not really seeing it. This ship has sailed.
Ehh I can’t pinpoint a particular play but he for sure hurdled over a few guys and saved Dak and the offensive line from numerous sacks.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Nah. Go ahead and draft an RB this year. Good draft class and protection against the two things you mentioned. If that player is good, then it makes it easier to move on from either Pollard or Elliott or even both the next year.
I Vote for the Cowboys to Draft Texas RB Bijan Robinson.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Idk, I can't see anything good that can come out of paying somebody 11mil to not play for you. The best thing for the team, and for the cap is to work out a paycut. Big paycut cause clearly he's still producing. 800 and 12 tds is worth something. Obviously not 16.7 mil, but for 6-7 mil yup. If you can get it done. If you can't then yeah cut him.
BUt why pay 6 when you can get that same production for less than 2? He averaged 3 yards a carry, so easy to find.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
BUt why pay 6 when you can get that same production for less than 2? He averaged 3 yards a carry, so easy to find.
Is 12 touchdowns easy to find? Is the passblocking easy to find? Is the hard yards easy to get? Why pay 11 to get rid of him? That's a 21million dollar difference. From owing 11mil to saving 10mil in a paycut. Idk but to me that 21mil difference can keep you from signing a couple guys. And even if they go June 1 cut its still a 17mil difference.

Today I saw a podcast with nate Newton, and he just looked annoyed at the callers with pretty much attitudes of the pessimists here. When they were done with calls he just looked at the other two, "no disrespect but these people don't know this game. They video gamers, or fantasy footballers. They wanna call in moaning, but you call them Friday night and putting together their fantasy team."

He ended it with something that's everybody needs to hear. "You either care about what the Cowboys are trying to do, or you dont"

He talks about the flack MM is getting because of the run the damn ball comments. Saying "everybody talking bout 300 a game 3 tds, but there's that 1 int that kept them in the game. Now we get the playoffs and the haters really hating dak."

I love listening to Nate speak. He can be more critical than the biggest pessimist here, but never disrespect the team he's loves.

conner01

Reaction score
This situation reminds me of the Last Days of Dez.

Many fans thought Dez was still something special when Cowboys released him. Many people still think Zeke is at least an average starter, or would be at least a premium role player.

Don't be surprised, folks, if Zeke never plays another down for anyone, despite his desire to continue. Just sayin.
No one could possible think Zeke is avg
But he very well could be done in the league
He’s basically a solid goal line guy at this point
His body is wore down
It’s probably in his best interest to walk away while he can still walk

conner01

Reaction score
He’s not worth production wise much at all. Honestly if it wasn’t for the past he wouldn’t make a team in the league
Now Jerry is loyal to guys so I could see him keeping him at a lesser cost
But just on production there 60 guys more productive in the nfl
Plus Jerry might be doing him a favor by letting him go so he doesn’t end up like earl campbell

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Someone will kick the tires. I saw Frank Gore and AP chug along. Gurley as well. I think he’d get one more shot off name recognition alone.
They still had legs and Gurley got one last season. Zeke will get one last season somewhere.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Love Zeke and what he’s done here, but he’s lost a lot of ability. I’d be shocked to see him on another NFL roster if he is cut. Jerruh’s loyalty is the only thing that could save him here. They should cut him after 6/1.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many people think zeke still has it? I haven’t seen anyone that thinks that, let alone many.
Depends whay you mean by "it".

If by "it"...you mean "still contribute to a team that is actually committed to an nfl run game"....contract amount notwithstsnding..

Then sure call.me crazy and throw my hat in.
We shall see, eh?
I never wanted to be in tbe cool kids know it all club anyway.