News: LandryHat: Ezekiel Elliott Rumor Too Good to Be True?

T-RO

Reaction score
He will show flashes of brilliance but not enough to warrant the salary.

I saw absolutely zero brilliant light in 2022. Not one single play that made me think: "I didn't see nearly so much yardage possible on that carry!" And the stats show nothing but a dull and fading comet which was once luminous.

The Zeke defenders are still here, not as deeply entrenched, but still not really seeing it. This ship has sailed.

Jipper

Reaction score
I saw absolutely zero brilliant light in 2022. Not one single play that made me think: "I didn't see nearly so much yardage possible on that carry!" And the stats show nothing but a dull and fading comet which was once luminous.

The Zeke defenders are still here, not as deeply entrenched, but still not really seeing it. This ship has sailed.
Agreed...I never once felt with zeke that he was going to run for a big 30 or 40 years gain...his best attribute at this point is taking the hits in the middle and wearing down the defense.

That being said it could be done for much cheaper...I think most here arr ready to move on

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Elliott was a true warrior for the Cowboys for a few years. He was as good as anyone in the league. But like most RB his time as an NFL player is not very long. The team at this point needs to move on. Cutting him to save as much money as possible. Cutting him to free up a roster spot for someone else who may possible be able to contribute. And finally cutting him to let the other players in the locker room know that the Cowboys are a business and not a "play thing" for the Jerry Jones Favorites (a culture issue).

stinkface

Reaction score
Zeke last two seasons

400+ rushes
1800+ yds
22 TDs

#ZekeHate
That was then this is now. He certainly has some value, but no one believes he will put up those numbers over the next two years. I expect even if he plays anywhere for next two years he'd be fortunate to put up half that. The league is full of running backs who were great for a four or five years and then the tires just fell off. While Zeke is a warrior there is zero doubt in most peoples minds that the explosion and quickness and speed are a distant memory. He was never a true slasher. He was a power back with good speed and good instincts and father time beats the hell out of those folks pretty quickly. I truly believe that there are almost no running backs worth a second contract. If they are a number 1 pick you see how they are for 4 years and then decide if you want to do the option year. If they are still productive after year 5 then you tag them for year 6 and they are flat out done then on your team because they are just too expensive at that point to keep.

Gorgon

Reaction score
This situation reminds me of the Last Days of Dez.

Many fans thought Dez was still something special when Cowboys released him. Many people still think Zeke is at least an average starter, or would be at least a premium role player.

Don't be surprised, folks, if Zeke never plays another down for anyone, despite his desire to continue. Just sayin.
Because of motivation or knee?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Depends on where he goes. The power run line he started with vs what we have now are two different things. Zeke is a patient down hill guy. This line isn't the same as 2016. Zeke is no scrub, we just don't fit his scheme anymore.
It's actually he who doesn't fit the Cowboys scheme anymore. I started saying this in 2020 .. It hasn't changed. All those delay handoffs are NOT what a downhill power back should be running. I don't know how much Zeke has left in the tank but he's been hampered by injury the last two seasons after getting off to pretty good starts both years. That's the reality that he like every other football player must face. The question is can he do enough in a reduced role to warrant being on this or any other team. But I will keep saying it ... you can never have enough good, tough, smart football players on your team. Zeke is a good, tough, smart football player. Watch him end up in New England.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I would offer you to go back and watch the night game at Philly early in the season. There was a run where Zeke ducked into the pile after about a two yard gain and dragged the pile for another 10. You couldn't even see him but you just saw the pile keep moving. In fact it was still moving when the ref blew the whistle or it might have gone another 10 yards because I don't think any of the Eagle defenders could get hold of his legs in that scrum and 3-4 of our linemen joined in and were pushing the pile too. That play embodies what Zeke do.. There were others but that one leaps to mind when I think about what he brings that the other backs on this team do not. I could give you other examples but as you've already made up your mind they never happened what would be the point. Zeke will either stay in Dallas or go somewhere else. I trust we will all live either way..

Sandyf

Reaction score
Funny that supposedly Zeke and the agents were making a decision at the combine on Jerry's proposal of a salary cut, and yet no one has reported anything.

My thought is Zeke agreed to a new contract that reduces his salary by 70 percent but added to contract are likely to be earned incentives based on yards, catches, etc.. Means he could be here 2 or 3 more years.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This situation reminds me of the Last Days of Dez.

Many fans thought Dez was still something special when Cowboys released him. Many people still think Zeke is at least an average starter, or would be at least a premium role player.

Don't be surprised, folks, if Zeke never plays another down for anyone, despite his desire to continue. Just sayin.

Slow as all hell it's time to let it go Zeke

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Funny that supposedly Zeke and the agents were making a decision at the combine on Jerry's proposal of a salary cut, and yet no one has reported anything.

My thought is Zeke agreed to a new contract that reduces his salary by 70 percent but added to contract are likely to be earned incentives based on yards, catches, etc.. Means he could be here 2 or 3 more years.

Thinking the same at one point, add incentives to it

diamonddelts

Reaction score
There are sucker fans and there are suckers in front offices. Just don't want the sucker to be the Cowboys. Whatever Zeke offers at this point can be matched or exceeded by a 5th round rookie RB costing next to nothing. And the rookie might actually have *upside potential*
THIS

diamonddelts

Reaction score
It truly baffles my mind how so many people here are still thinking about keeping Zeke after a pay cut. The guy literally averages one blade of grass per carry.

Cowboys fans are addicted to mediocrity