Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta say I disagree with that.

Minnesota got a 4th, 5th and 7th to move from #3 to #4 in 2012, and I'd most definitely not consider that giving away Tunsil if Jacksonville offered that.

I'd have to know who the players involved were ( at #3 and #4) before I could say.

According to the trade value chart, dealing with Baltimore should net us a 3rd, so that by definition is not a throw in. Dealing with SF should get us a third and a fifth and I would not consider it a throw in either. While I'd love to have a bidding war that causes someone to over pay, I'd gladly accept market value over taking a guy that does not make us significantly better due to him playing a position of strength.

I just don't know how you could marginalize Tunsil and the line not being " significantly better" when comparing him to Doug Free.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because your flawed thinking believes that you're smart and NFL teams are dumb. Suckers waited to be preyed upon by smart guys like you.

Those of you who want to draft Tunsil are the ones with flawed thinking wanting to add to an area of great strength when our defense is loaded with holes.

And it's a shame that we have just that one pick to fill our needs...

We have several picks to try and fill some of our needs and we can add to those picks with some premium picks by trading down from #4.

Actually, you're trying to. Nobody said anything about succeeding.

I did punch some holes in several of those players but all players have holes and every player you pick regardless where they're selected is going to have some holes.

And wouldn't it be great to know that you traded away the chance to get the next Aaron Rodgers and then are stuck having nothing when Romo retires?

There's another side to that coin you could also be trading away the chance to get the next Joey Harrington or Akilli Smith. Who's to say one of the second tier QBs won't pan out? Look through the history of the draft and see where some of the great QBs were drafted. Arguably the 2 greatest QBs to ever play the game were drafted after the second round. Not saying I want to wait until after the second round to draft a QB because I don't I'm just making a point.

Nice to see that you've done zero homework on the subject, as your uninformed claims make clear to everyone.

Based on your plan, we'd end up with the 2009 draft all over again.

How can my plan end up like the 2009 draft where did I say to keep trading down until our first pick is in the 3rd round? You're getting it all twisted. lol With my plan we'll end up with some premium picks this year and maybe a #1 next year not a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks where your chance of landing a great player is highly unlikely.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'd have to know who the players involved were ( at #3 and #4) before I could say.

Trent Richardson and Matt Khalil, Minnesota obviously wasn't going to take Richardson, but Cleveland was worried about another team trading up.

I just don't know how you could marginalize Tunsil and the line not being " significantly better" when comparing him to Doug Free.

How many games did Free cost us? The O-line is already an elite unit and while Chad Green is an unknown to us as fans, he is not to the coaching staff who worked with him once he came off pup.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I am amazed that people would be upset if we draft Tunsil....because of the "other" 1st round picks on the OL....but OK with us drafting Ramsey....ignoring the fact we spent the #6 overall pick on Claiborne...spent a 1st round pick on Jones...and gave Carr 50m!

The drafting of the OL has been the BEST thing we have done in decades...so I trust our ability to do that...over our ability to pick DBs

erod

Reaction score
It's important to note:

Mark Tuinei: undrafted free agent
Nate Newton: undrafted free agent
Mark Stepnoski: 3rd-round pick
John Gesek: 10th-round pick
Kevin Gogan: 8th-round pick
Erik Williams: 3rd-round pick

Emmitt Smith: 17th pick in the draft, second RB taken

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If Tonsils is there at 4 the phone will start ringing, then we can trade down and clean up. That's my hope anyways.

1-QB
2-DL
2-DBs
Early...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those of you who want to draft Tunsil are the ones with flawed thinking wanting to add to an area of great strength when our defense is loaded with holes.

Holes that can be filled with each and every one of the remaining picks. And if you're expecting any of the rookies to fix this team's ills, you're kidding yourself. They added three first round talents last year, how'd that impact wins and losses?

We have several picks to try and fill some of our needs and we can add to those picks with some premium picks by trading down from #4.

Or just draft wisely with the picks we have?

I did punch some holes in several of those players but all players have holes and every player you pick regardless where they're selected is going to have some holes.

So why ask "where did I poke holes in the quarterbacks?"

There's another side to that coin you could also be trading away the chance to get the next Joey Harrington or Akilli Smith. Who's to say one of the second tier QBs won't pan out? Look through the history of the draft and see where some of the great QBs were drafted. Arguably the 2 greatest QBs to ever play the game were drafted after the second round. Not saying I want to wait until after the second round to draft a QB because I don't I'm just making a point.

Do the homework, look up the research and see what they show you. That the odds favor drafting a quarterback early, and the later you draft them, the worse your chances for success get. Some smart peop,e did the research so we could still have lives. Do yourself a favor and look into it. Google football outsiders' article on the subject.

How can my plan end up like the 2009 draft where did I say to keep trading down until our first pick is in the 3rd round? You're getting it all twisted. lol With my plan we'll end up with some premium picks this year and maybe a #1 year not a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks where your chance of landing a great player is highly unlikely.

Again, they've tried your plan and failed miserably. Your fantasy of fleecing the league while you amass a team of Pro Bowlers is just that, a fantasy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Your draft already happened.

In 2009.

:facepalm:

Again, where did I say to keep trading down until our first pick is in the 3rd round? LOL I'm talking about ONE trade down from #4 to #7-8 or maybe #11 with the Bears who also have a need for a QB. We could come away with a big haul if one of those teams get desperate while we're on the clock.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If your numbers are accurate, we'd be foolish not to do it. Compare the return on investment to any of those other teams and what they're paying, and the Cowboys' line (with Tunsil) would put any and all of them to shame!

Compare the lineup we would have to any of theirs and it's not even close.

$400,000 more than what the Vikings are paying for the lineup they have? Sign me up for that immediately!

40 million no way. You are going to pay those 3 guys an average of 8 million per year of you are lucky. Lets call it 10 million. Thats 30 million right there without Smith in there. He will be at 10 million. Thats 40 million for 4 guys.

And lets not forget the Jerry Jones factor. He will be overspending in other places so that will leave us with a 50 million dollar Oline, Romo, Dez and 10 million left over for the other 50 players. LOL

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Laws of diminishing returns.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical. How much impact does a offensive line have on a game? Like how much more impact will a line with Tunsil have without him? Our running back with or without Tunsil will average under 5 yards a carry. Romo will still get sacked. A great pass rush will still give it fits. So how much better is a line with Tunsil and is it worth passing up for a starter that can come in and help our running game or defense!?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Holes that can be filled with each and every one of the remaining picks. And if you're expecting any of the rookies to fix this team's ills, you're kidding yourself. They added three first round talents last year, how'd that impact wins and losses?

The best chance to fill a hole is with an early pick your chances of filling a hole get slimmer once you get past the second round. We've been trying to fill holes in the secondary for more than a decade and still haven't filled them. We just can't seem to get it right on defense and it comes back on us every season. Where did I say I expect a rookie too fix this team? You're just doing what you do reading what you want into my posts. Never said a rookie would become an impact player their first year but your best chance of landing a player that will develop into an impact player is early in the draft.

Or just draft wisely with the picks we have?

How often have we done that? LOL

So why ask "where did I poke holes in the quarterbacks?"

You commented that I punched holes in all the top players when the only ones I punched holes into were Bosa who's tested positive for pot and isn't a sack master. Ramsey who no one knows what he is and Jack who's coming off a serious knee injury which leaves questions about him.

Do the homework, look up the research and see what they show you. That the odds favor drafting a quarterback early, and the later you draft them, the worse your chances for success get. Some smart peop,e did the research so we could still have lives. Do yourself a favor and look into it. Google football outsiders' article on the subject.

I do more homework than you'll ever do trust me and anyone who does their homework wouldn't be suggesting the Cowboys take Tunsil with the 4th overall pick. The odds favor you ending up with a bust at QB more than they favor you'll end up with a franchise QB. Anyone who's done their homework on the draft would know that. If anyone needs to do themselves a favor using Google it's you.

Again, they've tried your plan and failed miserably. Your fantasy of fleecing the league while you amass a team of Pro Bowlers is just that, a fantasy.

You're referring to Jerry's 2009 plan that's not my plan and if you're going to start with your agenda of twisting my comments move on!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Look up about seven posts. Self-awareness isn't your strong suit, is it?

Provide the post where you think I'm punching holes in the QBs? Where have I knocked their game? I've already said they could both end up great or a QB drafted later could end up even better.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I am amazed that people would be upset if we draft Tunsil....because of the "other" 1st round picks on the OL....but OK with us drafting Ramsey....ignoring the fact we spent the #6 overall pick on Claiborne...spent a 1st round pick on Jones...and gave Carr 50m!

The drafting of the OL has been the BEST thing we have done in decades...so I trust our ability to do that...over our ability to pick DBs

I'll take Tunsil over Ramsey all day. Doug Free will probably get Romo killed this year. Half of the top ten picks look like busts, Tunsil is a blue chipper. There are only two ways I pass on Tunsil, Carson Wentz is there or there is a big trade offer. JJ should not be dismissing Tunsil publicly for that fact alone, he should make people think he would pull the trigger immediately for the best guy in the draft to maximize the trade to our favor.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wrong.

Taking a QB at #4 means you are investing in the long term future of your franchise. You may not like the pick, but that's what it means.

You have a take a QB #4 overall to invest in the future of your franchise? No 4-12 team drafts a backup QB with a top 5 pick and that's exactly what the Cowboys will be doing if they pull the trigger on one of these QBs. A top 5 pick is for NOW and the future they have to be on the field day one. If you're going to draft a QB for the "future" you draft one later in the first round or in the second round. Every season is precious and you can't just throw the 2016 away by picking a player with the 4th overall pick who's going to be standing on the sidelines carrying a clipboard.

Reaction score
You have a take a QB #4 overall to invest in the future of your franchise? No 4-12 team drafts a backup QB with a top 5 pick and that's exactly what the Cowboys will be doing if they pull the trigger on one of these QBs. A top 5 pick is for NOW and the future they have to be on the field day one. If you're going to draft a QB for the "future" you draft one later in the first round or in the second round. Every season is precious and you can't just throw the 2016 away by picking a player with the 4th overall pick who's going to be standing on the sidelines carrying a clipboard.

Your dead wrong. Studies have been done on where to find franchise QB's and it is NOT the second round. It's at the top of the draft.

Your view is short sighted. You can't think beyond 2016. And when Romo is gone, Jerry will be looking at ex-baseball players in a desperate effort to find his replacement because he couldn't think beyond 2016 either. It happened when Aikman retired. It will happen again when Romo retires. Any many here seem OK with that.

I'm not.

Last edited:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We are at spot number 4. Cleveland is trying to trade their pick, this is where we need to move up and get one of the two QBs. The next 3 years, we can spend draft picks building around the future of our QB.