Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Cowboys do draft a QB with the 4th overall pick which is possible once Romo has an off game everyone is going to be screaming for that QB. Fans are going to want to see our new QB sooner rather than later. Some here are claiming they'll be okay drafting a QB #4 overall and have them sit 2-3 years until Romo is done....BS! LOL

Brooksey

Reaction score
You have a take a QB #4 overall to invest in the future of your franchise? No 4-12 team drafts a backup QB with a top 5 pick and that's exactly what the Cowboys will be doing if they pull the trigger on one of these QBs. A top 5 pick is for NOW and the future they have to be on the field day one. If you're going to draft a QB for the "future" you draft one later in the first round or in the second round. Every season is precious and you can't just throw the 2016 away by picking a player with the 4th overall pick who's going to be standing on the sidelines carrying a clipboard.

What your saying makes sense if Romo was not hurt every year and turning 36 years old. If they think Wentz or Goff is the guy, it's a great pick if they're available. On the other hand Tunsil helps this team immediately and has very low bust potential. He also cost the same as Free for the first 5 year of his rookie contract. Remember we still struggle with pass protection and we struggled last year running our zone scheme. We had to run power man with McFadden just to get it going mid season.

Reaction score
We are at spot number 4. Cleveland is trying to trade their pick, this is where we need to move up and get one of the two QBs. The next 3 years, we can spend draft picks building around the future of our QB.

Agreed.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think that...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000448589/article/2015-pro-bowl-roster-breakdown-offense

Denver Bronco's, Super Bowl champs, have ZERO offensive line pro bowlers.
I don't think JJ Watt has ever sniffed a super bowl.

These players you guys are mentioning are not the difference in whether we win a Super Bowl or not, but a QB is. Think QB

The same Super bowl champs that one with Manning who was injured and benched for a backup? Denver won the Super Bowl due to having a great defense. What happened to them when Manning shattered records in 2013?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Your dead wrong. Studies have been done on where to find franchise QB's and it is NOT the second round. It's at the top of the draft.

Your view is short sighted. You can't think beyond 2016. And when Romo is gone, Jerry will be looking at ex-baseball players in a desperate effort to find his replacement because he couldn't think beyond 2016 either. It happened when Aikman retired. It will happen again when Romo retires. Any many here seem OK with that.

I don't.

You're dead wrong because you seem to think taking a QB at #4 overall guarantees a franchise QB down the road. If they flame out it sets your franchise back. By not playing them it sets your franchise back because they're a top 5 pick which is a pick that should be immediately helping your football team. The longer that QB sits the more it hurts your team and the more it may hurt the QB because you run the risk of them going stale from inactivity. They could lose the edge they had coming out of college if they have to sit too long. If Romo plays 3-4 more years where is this QBs game going to be by then? They can't be developed standing on the sidelines. Backup QBs get very few practice reps during the season so if the Cowboys draft a QB #4 overall they're going to have to play them sooner rather than later. Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers got plenty of regular season snaps early on before they took over. All the studies you need are in the top 10 of the draft every year. See how many QBs taken pan out and go bust. Your chances are less than 50/50 of landing a franchise QB in the top 10.

The odds get worse as the draft goes on but the odds are still not that great in the top 10. In 2-4 years from now when Romo is likely done we may be in a position to draft an even better QB. If we draft Goff he's suppose to be pro ready so if you make him sit 2-4 years it could corrode his game. No young QB is going to develop standing on the sidelines for who knows how long. The young QBs who are panning out were first day starters like Russell Wilson, Cam Newton and Andy Dalton. Carr and Bridgewater started early and are developing. Mariotta and Winston are getting valuable game reps and looked good as rookies. These highly touted QBs need to be on the field to develop not standing around for several years.

reddyuta

Reaction score
If only we use the draft to build up the Dline like we have with our oline instead of wasting picks on DBs,i would bet that we would have made the playoffs if we had a dominant Dline last year .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What your saying makes sense if Romo was not hurt every year and turning 36 years old. If they think Wentz or Goff is the guy, it's a great pick if they're available. On the other hand Tunsil helps this team immediately and has very low bust potential. He also cost the same as Free for the first 5 year of his rookie contract. Remember we still struggle with pass protection and we struggled last year running our zone scheme. We had to run power man with McFadden just to get it going mid season.

If we knew for sure Wentz or Goff was the guy I would take either in a heartbeat but one could be Peyton Manning and the other could be Ryan Leaf. They could be David Carr and Joey Harrington or Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn. Rarely do the first two QBs both pan out and the QB you're left with could be a flop. We need to go defense with our first pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
On the other hand Tunsil helps this team immediately and has very low bust potential. He also cost the same as Free for the first 5 year of his rookie contract. Remember we still struggle with pass protection and we struggled last year running our zone scheme. We had to run power man with McFadden just to get it going mid season.

We've invested heavily on the OL and have built a very solid one we need to start working on the DL the same way. This is our opportunity we'll never get anywhere with the defense we have.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trent Richardson and Matt Khalil, Minnesota obviously wasn't going to take Richardson, but Cleveland was worried about another team trading up.

Little risk in trading down one spot for a guy you obviously don't want, is there? Minnesota obviously needed Khalil, while Cleveland didn't as well. But Khalil wasn't the top guy in the draft either, was he? Much less the prospect that Tunsil is considered.

How many games did Free cost us? The O-line is already an elite unit and while Chad Green is an unknown to us as fans, he is not to the coaching staff who worked with him once he came off pup.

How many did Doug Free ever win for us? You and I both know where this line's weak link plays, and so does each and every team we play.

Chaz Green is a complete unknown and shouldn't be counted on for anything. If he factors at all into draft decisions, it's a mistake.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, where did I say to keep trading down until our first pick is in the 3rd round? LOL I'm talking about ONE trade down from #4 to #7-8 or maybe #11 with the Bears who also have a need for a QB. We could come away with a big haul if one of those teams get desperate while we're on the clock.

Just enough to trade out of the top talent in this draft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just enough to trade out of the top talent in this draft.

There's talented players everywhere it's a crapshoot JJ Watt went at #11. Mo went bust at #6 and he was the highest rated defensive player in his draft class. I pointed out that four of the top six players in his draft went bust.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Little risk in trading down one spot for a guy you obviously don't want, is there? Minnesota obviously needed Khalil, while Cleveland didn't as well. But Khalil wasn't the top guy in the draft either, was he? Much less the prospect that Tunsil is considered.

I've been saying Tunsil is the best prospect since the beginning, but that does not mean he's a better prospect than Kalil, who we can all agree was not the best prospect in 2012. I don't think Tunsil is the type of prospect you can not pass on. He's better than Bosa, Buckner, Ramsey or who ever we'll end up taking, but I'd gladly take an additional 2nd or 3rd depending on how far we drop.

How many did Doug Free ever win for us? You and I both know where this line's weak link plays, and so does each and every team we play.

Hard to point to any game that one particular lineman won for us, even back in 2014 where we won 12 games, which is kinda the point. There were games that Romo won, Murray won, Dez won, just the nature of the game and kinda my point.

Chaz Green is a complete unknown and shouldn't be counted on for anything. If he factors at all into draft decisions, it's a mistake.

Unknown to us, but not the staff who developed Smith, Frederick and Martin

conner01

Reaction score
40 million doesn't sound like much with all the money flying around. A quarter of your cap does, just on the oline which other than left tackles are generally not high paid players compared to qb's edge rushers and cb's
That's a lot of cap space not to mention resources in one position.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No way we draft Tunsil unless we are willing to let one of our 3 interior guys walk in the near future. What we would be paying all 5 of our young OLmen on their second contracts an amount that's simply ridiculous. You have to manage the cap across an entire team, not just the OL.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
If we cannot get a franchise QB....and Tunsil is there when we draft. I would draft him in a heartbeat. A DOMINIANT.....DOMINANT....offensive line...will cover up for a LOT of mistakes in the front office, scouting department, coaching staff, game plan, defense, lack of pass rush, lack of coverage etc.... The point I am making is this....if you have a chance to put together potentially the greatest OL in history.....I would take my chances doing that before adding Joey Bosa.

We had a dominant offensive line last year. And yet, Romo still got broken...in game 2. I love the idea of having the best offensive line in the history of the league, but some of those *******s still find a way to get through. But hey, why not, I do like the BPA philosophy. But I still want Elliot, at 4, at 6, wherever. I'm not going to get too worked up if we don't though.

Edit: Changed my mind -- having a great blocking RB in the backfield will give Romo a second level of protection, a second level he wouldn't have by drafting Tunsil. I think the pass blocking would be just as effective by drafting EE as it would be by drafting Tunsil. Nope, if we don't get EE, I'm going to be FURIOUS! LOL.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
40 million doesn't sound like much with all the money flying around. A quarter of your cap does, just on the oline which other than left tackles are generally not high paid players compared to qb's edge rushers and cb's
That's a lot of cap space not to mention resources in one position.

I thought guards around the league were getting paid pretty well?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best chance to fill a hole is with an early pick your chances of filling a hole get slimmer once you get past the second round. We've been trying to fill holes in the secondary for more than a decade and still haven't filled them. We just can't seem to get it right on defense and it comes back on us every season. Where did I say I expect a rookie too fix this team? You're just doing what you do reading what you want into my posts. Never said a rookie would become an impact player their first year but your best chance of landing a player that will develop into an impact player is early in the draft.

How often have we done that? LOL

You commented that I punched holes in all the top players when the only ones I punched holes into were Bosa who's tested positive for pot and isn't a sack master. Ramsey who no one knows what he is and Jack who's coming off a serious knee injury which leaves questions about him.

I do more homework than you'll ever do trust me and anyone who does their homework wouldn't be suggesting the Cowboys take Tunsil with the 4th overall pick. The odds favor you ending up with a bust at QB more than they favor you'll end up with a franchise QB. Anyone who's done their homework on the draft would know that. If anyone needs to do themselves a favor using Google it's you.

As expected. You stay ignorant then.

You're referring to Jerry's 2009 plan that's not my plan and if you're going to start with your agenda of twisting my comments move on!

More like you can't handle having holes punched in your awful plan.