Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And fwiw, there's a couple of flaws in the articles logic. For starters, the numbers in the OP for Minnesota, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Philly and Houston lacks any context. For example, Tyron Smith in 2018 is scheduled to count 15 million against the cap, but he likely will be restructured to count less. The 5 teams used as an example, may be in a different cap situation and choose not to restructure and would rather pay the cost now. Even with that being said, it's worth noting that in 2018 Travis Frederick will likely make in excessive of 6.5 million. Why, because now in 2016 that would put him 8th among centers. Once salaries go up, it's very likely he'll make between 8-10 million, depending on how generous he's feeling. Zack Martin, could easily break 10 million. I just think this $40 million dollar sticker is a very conservative estimate.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Provide the post where you think I'm punching holes in the QBs? Where have I knocked their game? I've already said they could both end up great or a QB drafted later could end up even better.

Post #62. Now go and backpedal and say that's not what you meant.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's talented players everywhere it's a crapshoot JJ Watt went at #11. Mo went bust at #6 and he was the highest rated defensive player in his draft class. I pointed out that four of the top six players in his draft went bust.

It's a 'crapshoot' when you don't know what you're doing. And based on your comments, it's obvious you don't.

But hey, you go ahead and point to 'Player X' who hit or busted and then try to make your case based on that one example while all the while ignoring better research done by smarter people based on years worth of players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been saying Tunsil is the best prospect since the beginning, but that does not mean he's a better prospect than Kalil, who we can all agree was not the best prospect in 2012. I don't think Tunsil is the type of prospect you can not pass on. He's better than Bosa, Buckner, Ramsey or who ever we'll end up taking, but I'd gladly take an additional 2nd or 3rd depending on how far we drop.

That's cool. I think that's where we differ.

Hard to point to any game that one particular lineman won for us, even back in 2014 where we won 12 games, which is kinda the point. There were games that Romo won, Murray won, Dez won, just the nature of the game and kinda my point.

I don't see it as a valid or relevant argument here.

Unknown to us, but not the staff who developed Smith, Frederick and Martin

The fact is that he's never played for them. To depend on him and allow that to influence draft decisions would be a mistake.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't see it as a valid or relevant argument here.

The point is you asked for something that could not be provided, no matter how good he played. I could point to games from 2011 or 2012 that he lost for us, there were some that were that bad. But again, I really can not recall any game where one o-lineman was the difference. The unit yes, which is the norm for o-linemen.

The fact is that he's never played for them. To depend on him and allow that to influence draft decisions would be a mistake.

Free has played for them, and again, the coaching staff has information that we don't on Green and neither you are I can really say if it's a mistake. At best we would be guessing if it's good or not if it were a Green vs Tunsil. I just think it's Free+Green+who ever we pick in the first+what ever other draft picks we get in a trade vs Tunsil.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As expected. You stay ignorant then.

More like you can't handle having holes punched in your awful plan.

I'm not the one who's ignorant Look no further than your posts. Read Stephen Jones' comments that were posted he knows where the needs of this team are....nuff said!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Post #62. Now go and backpedal and say that's not what you meant.

LOL you misunderstood what I said when I said I was poking holes in them I was referring to Bosa, Ramsey and Jack not the QBs. :rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's a 'crapshoot' when you don't know what you're doing. And based on your comments, it's obvious you don't.

But hey, you go ahead and point to 'Player X' who hit or busted and then try to make your case based on that one example while all the while ignoring better research done by smarter people based on years worth of players.

The draft is crapshoot for those who draft players for a living. Anyone who would use the 4th overall pick on the OL that's been addressed with three #1 picks since 2010 doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

knightrider94

Reaction score
I want him just to see the look on Mara's face when he realizes Dallas just added another one to an already dominant line and he spent all that free agency money in the offseason on not so dominant defensive talent...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point is you asked for something that could not be provided, no matter how good he played. I could point to games from 2011 or 2012 that he lost for us, there were some that were that bad. But again, I really can not recall any game where one o-lineman was the difference. The unit yes, which is the norm for o-linemen.

Actually, you asked me how many games Free cost the team, that's what started this waste of time hypothetical.

Free has played for them, and again, the coaching staff has information that we don't on Green and neither you are I can really say if it's a mistake. At best we would be guessing if it's good or not if it were a Green vs Tunsil. I just think it's Free+Green+who ever we pick in the first+what ever other draft picks we get in a trade vs Tunsil.

I'm just stating that Green is an unknown that shouldn't be counted on. Why should a guy who was injured and never played be a factor in any way?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not the one who's ignorant Look no further than your posts. Read Stephen Jones' comments that were posted he knows where the needs of this team are....nuff said!

Sure it is. Like most of your posts, a whole bunch a nothin'. Refer to some 'comments' you can't make the effort to include. Clear as mud.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not going anywhere and at least I have a plan that makes sense.

You keep telling yourself that. Even when everyone else tells you it's terrible. Fight the good fight!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The draft is crapshoot for those who draft players for a living. Anyone who would use the 4th overall pick on the OL that's been addressed with three #1 picks since 2010 doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

As opposed to the self-proclaimed 'genius' of Internet guys like you. Solving the world's issues from Mom & Dad's basement!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Actually, you asked me how many games Free cost the team, that's what started this waste of time hypothetical.

What games did Free cost us, was not a hypothetical question. Free played 16 games last year and one can easily point to games he cost us in the past, specifically 2012 and 2013 and instead of backing up your claim that Tunsil makes the line significantly better, you asked a question that had no answer.

I'm just stating that Green is an unknown that shouldn't be counted on. Why should a guy who was injured and never played be a factor in any way?

Because players don't have to play in order for coaches to see what they may have in them. It won't be 100% certain (but neither is any prospect), but you weigh the impact of a Tunsil immediately vs Free, and long term vs Green as well as the prospect ultimately draft in the first and the additional picks we get in a trade

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think the argument about not many other teams putting this much money into their offensive line is a little off. Not many other teams have had the benefit or luck to draft this well at the offensive line. Most teams don't have an offensive line with the ceiling ours has, or they must significantly overpay in FA to get the top free agents. You want the top offensive line in the league? You're going to take a cap hit to keep it together. If there is any group in this league I want to put a lot of money towards, it's offensive and defensive line; especially since we will be ushering in our next franchise QB (Hopefully) in the next couple years.