Laramey Tunsil & a $40 Million Dollar Offensive Line

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What games did Free cost us, was not a hypothetical question. Free played 16 games last year and one can easily point to games he cost us in the past, specifically 2012 and 2013 and instead of backing up your claim that Tunsil makes the line significantly better, you asked a question that had no answer.

Because players don't have to play in order for coaches to see what they may have in them. It won't be 100% certain (but neither is any prospect), but you weigh the impact of a Tunsil immediately vs Free, and long term vs Green as well as the prospect ultimately draft in the first and the additional picks we get in a trade

I don't know about "immediate impact", but you are taking the best prospect in this draft that would be a LT on nearly every other team and putting him at RT, which will be a much easier position to adapt to. I would say Tunsil would be near Free's level day one and progressively get better as the season goes on. It's not even comparable to me, Tunsil has the potential to be a tackle that gives you a decade of big play and multiple probowls. Free is a guy who has what, one probowl to his name has one foot out of league.

Green isn't an unknown. He's had one year in this league and it was full of injuries, his knock coming out of college. He's living up to his negatives, he is not someone we should even factor into our draft selection.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What games did Free cost us, was not a hypothetical question. Free played 16 games last year and one can easily point to games he cost us in the past, specifically 2012 and 2013 and instead of backing up your claim that Tunsil makes the line significantly better, you asked a question that had no answer.

As a retort to the foolish question asked previously. It's ridiculous to ask how many games an individual lineman wins or loses for a team. That's the point.

If you want to try to make the case that Tunsil isn't world's better as a player than Doug Free, have at it! Make that case! Tell everyone that the entire NFL and draft process are wrong and that Doug Free is this under appreciated gem of a player who has been repeatedly cheated out of his due Pro Bowl appearances.

And convince some team to trade us their #1 pick for Free while you're at it. I don't need to convince you or anyone else of the fact that Tunsil is better than Doug Free could ever team of being. It's not a topic worthy of any debate whatsoever.

Because players don't have to play in order for coaches to see what they may have in them. It won't be 100% certain (but neither is any prospect), but you weigh the impact of a Tunsil immediately vs Free, and long term vs Green as well as the prospect ultimately draft in the first and the additional picks we get in a trade

I don't weigh in Chaz Green at all. Not one bit. Until he does something, it's undeserved. He's just a name on a piece of paper at this point. He's closer to being Jacob Rodgers right now than a contributor.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't know about "immediate impact", but you are taking the best prospect in this draft that would be a LT on nearly every other team and putting him at RT, which will be a much easier position to adapt to. I would say Tunsil would be near Free's level day one and progressively get better as the season goes on. It's not even comparable to me, Tunsil has the potential to be a tackle that gives you a decade of big play and multiple probowls. Free is a guy who has what, one probowl to his name has one foot out of league.

Green isn't an unknown. He's had one year in this league and it was full of injuries, his knock coming out of college. He's living up to his negatives, he is not someone we should even factor into our draft selection.

Getting the best prospect in the draft, is only as good as the draft itself. I've said from the beginning, this was a draft that lacked elite talent at the top, so while Tunsil will be a very good tackle, I just don't think it's the same as passing on a Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Ndamekong Suh or Calvin Johnson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm very glad that someone else can see this.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
As a retort to the foolish question asked previously. It's ridiculous to ask how many games an individual lineman wins or loses for a team. That's the point.

If you want to try to make the case that Tunsil isn't world's better as a player than Doug Free, have at it! Make that case! Tell everyone that the entire NFL and draft process are wrong and that Doug Free is this under appreciated gem of a player who has been repeatedly cheated out of his due Pro Bowl appearances.

And convince some team to trade us their #1 pick for Free while you're at it. I don't need to convince you or anyone else of the fact that Tunsil is better than Doug Free could ever team of being. It's not a topic worthy of any debate whatsoever.

I don't weigh in Chaz Green at all. Not one bit. Until he does something, it's undeserved. He's just a name on a piece of paper at this point. He's closer to being Jacob Rodgers right now than a contributor.

that's clearly not what I'm saying. no where, did I come close to suggesting Free was as good as Tunsil and you either can not read or are choosing not to.

if you're gonna argue against points I'm not making, then I'm done

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Nobody is saying to pass on either of the top two quarterbacks to draft him, why bring it up?

I want Lynch so if I had a choice between Goff, Wentz or Tunsil........im picking Tunsil. Lynch is the guy I think can be our franchise guy.

Thought the same with Teddy Bridgewater that he was the best in that class and was surprised he was at the end of round 1

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Because your flawed thinking believes that you're smart and NFL teams are dumb. Suckers waited to be preyed upon by smart guys like you.

And it's a shame that we have just that one pick to fill our needs...

Actually, you're trying to. Nobody said anything about succeeding.

And wouldn't it be great to know that you traded away the chance to get the next Aaron Rodgers and then are stuck having nothing when Romo retires?

Nice to see that you've done zero homework on the subject, as your uninformed claims make clear to everyone.

Based on your plan, we'd end up with the 2009 draft all over again.

Rodgers wasn't a top 5 pick hell he wasn't even a top 20 pick

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We had a dominant offensive line last year. And yet, Romo still got broken...in game 2. I love the idea of having the best offensive line in the history of the league, but some of those *******s still find a way to get through. But hey, why not, I do like the BPA philosophy. But I still want Elliot, at 4, at 6, wherever. I'm not going to get too worked up if we don't though.

Edit: Changed my mind -- having a great blocking RB in the backfield will give Romo a second level of protection, a second level he wouldn't have by drafting Tunsil. I think the pass blocking would be just as effective by drafting EE as it would be by drafting Tunsil. Nope, if we don't get EE, I'm going to be FURIOUS! LOL.

Draft Tunsil then get Dixon. He is a RB that can pass block very well

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want Lynch so if I had a choice between Goff, Wentz or Tunsil........im picking Tunsil. Lynch is the guy I think can be our franchise guy.

Thought the same with Teddy Bridgewater that he was the best in that class and was surprised he was at the end of round 1

Nothing against Lynch the player, but I don't think this staff can give him the coaching that he needs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rodgers wasn't a top 5 pick hell he wasn't even a top 20 pick

He was the top quarterback going into that draft, ticketed to go #1 overall. And seemingly overnight, that somehow changed and Alex Smith went #1 and Rodgers plummeted. One of the strangest stories in draft history. And one of its biggest blunders ever.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Nothing against Lynch the player, but I don't think this staff can give him the coaching that he needs.

The same can be said for any QB. I have been against drafting a QB at 4......I still feel the same way. If we take one (no matter who) then I have to trust the scouts and front office that he is our guy and they will get him developed to take over.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same can be said for any QB. I have been against drafting a QB at 4......I still feel the same way. If we take one (no matter who) then I have to trust the scouts and front office that he is our guy and they will get him developed to take over.

My own opinion is that the top two have been better coached to this point and there's therefore less to count on from the coaches we have.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He was the top quarterback going into that draft, ticketed to go #1 overall. And seemingly overnight, that somehow changed and Alex Smith went #1 and Rodgers plummeted. One of the strangest stories in draft history. And one of its biggest blunders ever.

He still wasn't a top pick so can't compare him to a top 5 pick. Franchise QBs have been found all through out the draft, not just QBs but every position has players that excel or bust and that's in any round.

We just have to hope the guys we draft turn out to be players cause losing a top 5 pick can really hurt a franchise.

Just think if Claiborne had became a lock down CB.....do we draft Byron? Would we be looking at Ramsey or another corner in this draft?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He still wasn't a top pick so can't compare him to a top 5 pick.

I can, and I will. I know the facts surrounding Rodgers and that draft. I'm not disregarding it because of where he was ultimately drafted.

Franchise QBs have been found all through out the draft, not just QBs but every position has players that excel or bust and that's in any round.

That's generalizing and inaccurate. The facts show that the sooner you drafte one, the better your chances for success.

We just have to hope the guys we draft turn out to be players cause losing a top 5 pick can really hurt a franchise.

Just think if Claiborne had became a lock down CB.....do we draft Byron? Would we be looking at Ramsey or another corner in this draft?

I sure wouldn't think so. If either Carr or Claiborne were what we thought of paid for, we may not have even drafted Jones last year, but who knows?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
My own opinion is that the top two have been better coached to this point and there's therefore less to count on from the coaches we have.

Really......Wentz is better coached? He played against guys that aren't playing football after collage and his team did better without him.

Lynch came from a better program and won despite having walk ons as his recievers.

Goff and Wentz all need developing and contrary to what we believe we can develop talent. ....maybe not on a level like the Patriots, packers and Cardinals but enough.

The problem with our backups was the play calling didn't put Weeden, Cassel or Moore into a position to succeed. Lynch will have the better career in this class, but that's just my opinion

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I can, and I will. I know the facts surrounding Rodgers and that draft. I'm not disregarding it because of where he was ultimately drafted.

That's generalizing and inaccurate. The facts show that the sooner you drafte one, the better your chances for success.

I sure wouldn't think so. If either Carr or Claiborne were what we thought of paid for, we may not have even drafted Jones last year, but who knows?
OK let's compare Rodgers. ...........why draft a QB in top 5 we can find one in the 20s just like Rodgers. Haha

None of these QBs are close to being on Rodgers level. One could say they aren't even on Manziel or RG3 level coming out.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

You do realize how many top 4 QBs have won a superbowl in the last decade. .......their last name is Manning

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really......Wentz is better coached? He played against guys that aren't playing football after collage and his team did better without him.

I think so. A lot of pro style concepts he was asked to run.

Lynch came from a better program and won despite having walk ons as his receivers.

Lynch needs the most work on his footwork and technique and he didn't get it from his college coaches. He relies too much on his physical gifts at this point.

Goff and Wentz all need developing and contrary to what we believe we can develop talent. ....maybe not on a level like the Patriots, packers and Cardinals but enough.

The problem with our backups was the play calling didn't put Weeden, Cassel or Moore into a position to succeed. Lynch will have the better career in this class, but that's just my opinion

Nothing wrong with an opinion friend, we all have them. Mine is just a differing one on this topic.

:thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK let's compare Rodgers. ...........why draft a QB in top 5 we can find one in the 20s just like Rodgers. Haha

None of these QBs are close to being on Rodgers level. One could say they aren't even on Manziel or RG3 level coming out.

Playing the percentages. They work against you the longer you wait.