Larry Brown says TO stopped on several routes today

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dallas22;2449841 said:
There were a couple of times that TO stopped trying to block downfield. One play that I can remember is when Witten was trying to break a tackle after a catch, TO just stood there and didn't try and block anyone. I agree that it's easy to single him out much more than you would other players but then again doesn't he do this to himself??? He "likes" the limelight so this "should" be irrelivent to him.

I do agree that he is a great talent (when he catches the ball) but is also selfish and in my opinion bi-polar, which can be a detrament to his team. I never liked him and never will but I do cheer when he helps MY team, the Dallas Cowboys, score points and win games.

I like him, but...I like him as a person, but...either you like the guy or not. There's no ifs, ands, or buts. Just admit it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2447969 said:
Romo did a great job of spreading the ball around. TO had a TD and a great one-handed grab. If he's not smart enough to know that the success of his teammates will open things up for him, then I don't know what to tell the guy. He seems to have two sides - the great teammate versus the selfish publicity seeker.

But you also happen to be a TO fan? Right...:laugh2:

Nav22

Reaction score
Yes I understand that, but I dont get it.

It makes no sense. Was it supposed to be an insult or something?
Newman jumped into the handicapped section.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2449865 said:

Wow, you really adore this 36 year old man don't you. It's kinda scary.

Try and comprehend what some people are talking about.

Fans of the Cowboys don't have to like or respect owens the person.
Some people for what ever reason never will like owens the person.
Some for his pre Cowboy antics some because he stood on the star.
Some for who knows what.

What I have never heard from even his "haters" is they don't like what he brings to the field. That doesn't put him beyond criticism. Some deserved some maybe not, but when you put yourself out there as much as he does,
it's what people will do.

He gets that. Why in the world it bothers grown men on a fan website is nuts.

I get why some guys love everything he does, some just have a different out look on what we would like the players of our team to be like. I never liked what Irvin, Haley or Henderson (or any Cowboy who acted stupid) did off the field, I never defended their
off field antics. I criticized them for bad plays, just like I do today with this team. owens does so much self promotion that when he simply drops a ball I cringe. I don't want to hear me,me,me then he drops a ball or gives up on a route. Which he does do.

People can love him all they want. I love his talent most of the time, I don't like his self promoting attitude and me first crap. That's my or any one else's right.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;2449245 said:
Nobody even points out that Jason Garrett ran how many run plays during those last few series and he tried going play-action twice in a row... The second one was that very INT... Nobody bit on that play-action because Jason wasn't keeping the defense honest with the run...

There are a ton of people who go nuts on Garrett. He did what most every one expected him to yesterday. Run out the clock. Is that some thing new?
He doesn't strike me as a run the score up kind of guy, I wish we were like that but we haven't been in I don't know how long.

alby

Reaction score
TO is the perfect guy to play receiver. Selfish and talented. That's why he's one of the best to have ever done his craft.

Not sure why people hate.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boysboy;2449865 said:
I love him. It doesn't mean I can't be honest about his flaws unlike those who hate him, but can't be honest about his talents.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2450048 said:
I love him. It doesn't mean I can't be honest about his flaws unlike those who hate him, but can't be honest about his talents.

I remember an interview Harry Belafonte did with Larry King a few years back. He made alot of criticisms on Colin Powell. However-he started off by saying, "I like him as a person", then he followed that by, "BUT..."(and the criticisms followed).

Pt being that can you honestly say HP "likes" CP? He either does or doesn't, no 2-way about it. Just reminded me of your assessments on Owens when you started off by saying, "I like him, but...".

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2449946 said:

Try and comprehend what some people are talking about.

Fans of the Cowboys don't have to like or respect owens the person.
Some people for what ever reason never will like owens the person.
Some for his pre Cowboy antics some because he stood on the star.
Some for who knows what.

What I have never heard from even his "haters" is they don't like what he brings to the field. That doesn't put him beyond criticism. Some deserved some maybe not, but when you put yourself out there as much as he does,

He gets that. Why in the world it bothers grown men on a fan website is nuts.

I get why some guys love everything he does, some just have a different out look on what we would like the players of our team to be like. I never liked what Irvin, Haley or Henderson (or any Cowboy who acted stupid) did off the field, I never defended their
off field antics. I criticized them for bad plays, just like I do today with this team. owens does so much self promotion that when he simply drops a ball I cringe. I don't want to hear me,me,me then he drops a ball or gives up on a route. Which he does do.

People can love him all they want. I love his talent most of the time, I don't like his self promoting attitude and me first crap. That's my or any one else's right.

:clap:

khiladi

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2449951 said:
There are a ton of people who go nuts on Garrett. He did what most every one expected him to yesterday. Run out the clock. Is that some thing new?
He doesn't strike me as a run the score up kind of guy, I wish we were like that but we haven't been in I don't know how long.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the 3rd quarter when we were up by like tweo scores and Garrett refused to run... He could have run earlier when Seattle was just blitzing away, instead of taking down-field shots and putting Romo in danger, because Seattle had no reason to expect run... That is the reason why that long pass on which Trufant intercepted it didn't work... They were just blitzing with deep help over the middle..

Romo called 2 play-actions in a row when he didn't even establish the run and Jason was still trying to go vertical...

He started to run out the clock later in the game... It was only when TO scored on the next drive, with his spectacular grab that kept the play alive did Jason start reunning...

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2449946 said:

1. Owens is 34 years old, not 36.

2. Which board have you been reading? Let's see...

"Owens has clearly lost a step"
"He's clearly in decline"
"He's no longer a go-to guy"
"He's not even the best receiver on his own team"
"We should cut him at the end of the year"
"Owens has terrible hands and drops sooooo many balls"
"Owens hinders the whole offense because his complaining somehow results in Jason Garrett and Tony Romo forcing him the ball"
"Owens has caused half of Romo's interceptions"
"Owens can't get off the jam"
"Owens's body language (bwahahahaha) has a negative impact on the team"
"Owens's initial quickness is gone"
"Owens doesn't have the hands to catch slant passes"
"We need a deep threat to compliment Terrell Owens" (obviously implying that Owens isn't a deep threat....double bwahahahahahaha)
"Owens can't do anything after the catch anymore and can't make anyone miss"
"Owens is a bad route runner"
"Owens doesn't consistently play hard/put forth effort"

Did I miss anything? If you add all of these things up, you basically have a possession receiver who can't run after the catch who has bad hands and runs poor routes...plus he's a horrible teammate and a cancer and doesn't consistently play hard. But other than that, people LOVE what he brings on the field, right?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2450305 said:
1. Owens is 34 years old, not 36.

2. Which board have you been reading? Let's see...

"Owens has clearly lost a step"
"He's clearly in decline"
"He's no longer a go-to guy"
"He's not even the best receiver on his own team"
"We should cut him at the end of the year"
"Owens has terrible hands and drops sooooo many balls"
"Owens hinders the whole offense because his complaining somehow results in Jason Garrett and Tony Romo forcing him the ball"
"Owens has caused half of Romo's interceptions"
"Owens can't get off the jam"
"Owens's body language (bwahahahaha) has a negative impact on the team"
"Owens's initial quickness is gone"
"Owens doesn't have the hands to catch slant passes"
"We need a deep threat to compliment Terrell Owens" (obviously implying that Owens isn't a deep threat....double bwahahahahahaha)
"Owens can't do anything after the catch anymore and can't make anyone miss"
"Owens is a bad route runner"
"Owens doesn't consistently play hard/put forth effort"

Did I miss anything? If you add all of these things up, you basically have a possession receiver who can't run after the catch who has bad hands and runs poor routes...plus he's a horrible teammate and a cancer and doesn't consistently play hard. But other than that, people LOVE what he brings on the field, right?

You can go to any fan website on any given game day and find the exact same things said about any WR. But we being Cowboy fans can't be critical of owens. And he's the most me guy of any player in todays NFL.

Go figure.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;2450267 said:
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the 3rd quarter when we were up by like tweo scores and Garrett refused to run... He could have run earlier when Seattle was just blitzing away, instead of taking down-field shots and putting Romo in danger, because Seattle had no reason to expect run... That is the reason why that long pass on which Trufant intercepted it didn't work... They were just blitzing with deep help over the middle..

Romo called 2 play-actions in a row when he didn't even establish the run and Jason was still trying to go vertical...

He started to run out the clock later in the game... It was only when TO scored on the next drive, with his spectacular grab that kept the play alive did Jason start reunning...

You said "the last few series" I just figured that is what you meant.:D
Did we not have the ball in the fourth quarter? As I recall we had it the last six minutes or so, that would be our last series. Try actually reading what you type.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2450401 said:
You can go to any fan website on any given game day and find the exact same things said about any WR. But we being Cowboy fans can't be critical of owens. And he's the most me guy of any player in todays NFL.

Go figure.

Absolutely ridiculous. There is no way you can make this statement with any reasonable certainty. Not only do you not know much of anything about all the other players in the NFL, but you don't know much about Owens, either.

At any rate, you said "What I have never heard from even his "haters" is they don't like what he brings to the field."

Obviously, that statement was flat-out false.

And NO, you can not just go on any other website and find these things written about any other wide receiver. That's just ludicrous. You could perhaps find it about one or two players (Roy Williams when he was in Detroit being one of the other ones)...you think Cardinals fans say all those things about Fitzgerald/Boldin? Or Panthers fans of Steve Smith?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2450500 said:
Absolutely ridiculous. There is no way you can make this statement with any reasonable certainty. Not only do you not know much of anything about all the other players in the NFL, but you don't know much about Owens, either.

True, we can't be certain that T.O. is the most selfish/ most "me" person in the NFL. But it's not a stretch to say it.

What other wide receiver do you know who gets more television coverage than T.O.?

Which other wide receiver do you hear constantly talking about how much he wants the ball?

What other wide receivers have uttered to the cameras, "I know they don't want me to shine, but I'm going to shine anyway because I love me so me. Believe it!"

Which other receivers can't seem to keep their mouth's shut?

As humans, we don't possess the powers of infallibility and omniscience. We can't know everything there is to know about a person. But we can make observations and come to reasonable conclusions based on those observations.

And a reasonable conclusion to make, based on the evidence (his past and present behavior and the face-time he gets on television and face-time he simply can't refuse because he can't keep quiet), is that the most me person in the league.

Dallas22

Reaction score
I don't like T.O. because he disrespected the STAR and that should be enough for ALL Dallas Cowboys fans to dislike him. Now he is a talent and he helps the Cowboys, even when he doesn't catch a lot of balls because of the coverage that defenses must use against him which helps free up the other receiving talent on our team. Also, not being on a team playing against us helps us as well. I think he has some major issues but as far as an athlete in the NFL goes, there is no doubting his skill. Disliking T.O. and respecting a his talent CAN go hand-in-hand... As long as the STAR is on TO's helmet I'll be cheering when he helps our team - the DALLAS COWBOYS!!!

I am just saying that since he talks a lot of garbage (which in turn can hurt team chemistry) and wants his "greatness" to be appriciated and his skills utilized he must also take the nit-picking critizisms that fans to experts see in each game from him. He WANTS the attention, well he gets it - for better or for worse.

He never even tried to block while Witten was trying to break an upcoming tackle on a short gaining pass... that sucked no matter who that player was; it just happened to be T.O.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
Sarge;2447957 said:
It's undeniable that he is a selfish player. But he is a helluva good one.
yeah hr is a heck of a good one but I don't think he is selfish because we do do good when we get the ball to him.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2450500 said:

At any rate, you said "What I have never heard from even his "haters" is they don't like what he brings to the field."

Obviously, that statement was flat-out false.

And NO, you can not just go on any other website and find these things written about any other wide receiver. That's just ludicrous. You could perhaps find it about one or two players (Roy Williams when he was in Detroit being one of the other ones)...you think Cardinals fans say all those things about Fitzgerald/Boldin? Or Panthers fans of Steve Smith?

Show me any other NFL player in the past few years who has had his mug on any sports show or pregame show more than owens, complaining.

Then people like you blame the press for it. Is it in his contract to keep his face on TV?

You don't think Cards fans were tearing their players apart the other day? Really? Philliy fans booed their team in the first few minutes.

Ya think the lions fans don't rip their team apart? The couldn't sell out for the Thnx Giving game. It happens to every team. This place doesn't have the market cornered.

Dallas22

Reaction score
I don't think my opinion on why I don't like TO should be called "ripping"... I never will like TO no matter how many Super Bowls we win with him or how many records he breaks. He is a talent, I just don't like the disrespect of the STAR when he was a '9er.

When it comes to most things with the Cowboys, I am hopefull but realistic. It's got to change this season in December... with such a tough schedule this would be the time to get Monkey #1 off the Cowboys backs. It would be real nice to do it RIGHT NOW. Monkey #2, playoff victory... next we will see. GO COWBOYS!!!

:mchammer:
COWBOY-TIME!!! (Is that Hamma' or TO? :))

cowboyed

Reaction score
Boysboy;2450051 said:
I remember an interview Harry Belafonte did with Larry King a few years back. He made alot of criticisms on Colin Powell. However-he started off by saying, "I like him as a person", then he followed that by, "BUT..."(and the criticisms followed).

Pt being that can you honestly say HP "likes" CP? He either does or doesn't, no 2-way about it. Just reminded me of your assessments on Owens when you started off by saying, "I like him, but...".

Harry Belafonte needs to go back to humming underneath the mango tree. He is not even equivalent to Colin Powell's butt sweat. Colin Powell rocks, has integrity and is a man's man.

There is nothing contradictory or off-setting about liking certain traits or aspects of a person such as T.O. the football player and disliking other characteristics including type and level of effort. Humans have both positive and negative qualities and either or a combination of both show up under positive or negative duress.

That is our nature, to still praise an individual over a result yet scorn them over some other behavior. Expand this into the realm of family members, neighbors, celebrities, our culture, society and government, allies, enemies, etc.. and a lot of emotional and mental agility is at play.

Welcome to the human condition.