Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If there's one thing I'm definitely encouraged by this year for Dak, it's that he's quite likely to receive far better pass protection in 2018 than he did last year. Tyron is reportedly feeling his oats and back to his old self. Even if he has a relapse of his back troubles, there are those in place in the form of Fleming and maybe even C. Williams to take up the slack. If that's not enough, La'el Collins will also be a year farther along in his development.

As for the chances of Dak's receivers getting better separation than what Dez was able to produce last year, I'd say that it's very probable that he'll receive that benefit as well. Aside from that, Dak is known to be a tireless worker and a good bet to improve his footwork and his drop back technique as as well. Whether or not his accuracy improves as a result of all this is yet to be determined. I'm highly inclined to believe it will.

We're about to learn more in the upcoming OTAs, minicamps, TC and the preseason games if he's, indeed, on the right track. I'm looking forward to that with great anticipation, just as I'd bet most of us are, too. Is it possible that Kellen Moore might be better for Dak's development than what Wade Wilson was? If he lives up to his hype and/or his reputation, maybe that could help lift Dak's performance also. ;)

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
Coaches should have done that, i agree but what competent QB also wouldn't do it himself if he saw what was going on? Dak couldn't have sent Witten over to that side to help out? C'mon
Let's be fair. Dak didn' have Romo on the sidelines to tell him to.

I still believe to this day alot of the success Dak had in 2016 can be contributed to Romo in his ear. If Romo would have pouted and shunned Dak. Then Daks 2016 stats wouldn' have been what they were.

Romo's class was a detriment to himself

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think you missed 2016 when Dak threw a lot of nice passes when the OL wasn't crumbling. Foles had almost no pressure last year vs the Pats.
Actually no. While everyone was getting drunk on the Kool aid. I was waiting for those " Alvin Harper go routes" to happen a least once or twice a game. When we drafted Elliott I thought for sure the Cowboy QB would carve up the 8 in a box . But it never manifested.. . . Oh wait it did when Romo finally got some playing time

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
pocket awareness is bad, if he hasn't fixed that in high school and college how you going to fix that, bad footwork, maybe can be fixed. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions, [glitches out with pressure] this fixable? Slow reads are caused by him being overly concerned with pressure. Late throws, high balls.
You seen this last year.. I guess one of his excuses of the offensive line being hurt [one guy] can be attributed to his fear of pressure. Fear makes you late on throws and slow on reads. Yep another excuse that was attributed to the receivers. They didn't get open fast enough for the fear to consume him..
Scouting reports were dead on.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He better be because the impact beyond just this season is at stake. Let's not forget the QB's between Aikman and Romo and how they ended up with Prescott at QB1.

It is very simple. Dak has to make the plays when the plays are there to be made. That's the difference between the really god ones and the marginal ones, the good ones don't squander as many opportunities.

But let's be fair, this team has an offense designed to go through RB1 just like that one back in 1993 that Aikman went 0-2 without his RB1. Dak's QBing one of the two teams that run their offense through the RB first and while Morris was a good RB, it wasn't the same and wasn't defended the same. Zeke's presence makes DC's nervous.

If there is one team in the NFL that is going to learn if their QB is up to it, it's the Cowboys because every DC is coming to shut the run down and put it all on the QB just as they should. But as we watch this unfold, we should be looking at the opportunities he has to make plays vs play calling.

Romo's greatest attribute wasn't being Houdini, it was overcoming poor play calling. He had that uncanny pocket presence but most of all he had a head for the game. Dak may have to do the same if he is to be the DC QB of the future. And not all QB's have that, that's the reason so many fail. It's not their arm, it's their head. Does he have the head for the game?

NotForLong

Reaction score
Now I have seen posts where people don't want to hear how teams figured out Dak, blah blah... Well in the same respect then, I don't want to hear about receivers not getting separation, and Zeke being out.

So, this season is the season... 3 years as the starter, and you know what you have at that point... so let us see...

:bow: true that.

Thank goodness we drafted Mr. White.
Not For Long

kskboys

Reaction score
Let's be fair. Dak didn' have Romo on the sidelines to tell him to.

I still believe to this day alot of the success Dak had in 2016 can be contributed to Romo in his ear. If Romo would have pouted and shunned Dak. Then Daks 2016 stats wouldn' have been what they were.

Romo's class was a detriment to himself
It wasn't Romo. It was Sanchez.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I'm taking names. Don't want to see any of the Dak detractors (pretty much the same ones from the old Official Cowboys Fan Forum) suddenly jumping on Dak's bandwagon when Dak leads the Cowboys deep into the playoffs. Just stay off.
If Dak needs for everyone to stay healthy in order to succeed. How can any one claim he is leading the team. More like dragged along

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there is a better chance of Dez blooming somewhere else this season without Dak, i wonder what everyone else will say then
That simply won't happen. His skill level won't improve once he changes teams. He is what he is and that's why he didn't get any big offers.
Dez never created separation his entire career so maybe you need to look at other things as to why his numbers were in decline (age, injuries, different QB with a different skill set)
Injuries, failing to learn routes, failing to work out like he should.

There is zero chance he goes anywhere and blooms. At this point he looks like a WR3 at best.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I've been critical of Dak's play last year, and he gave me every reason to be. Some of you want to bring up this and that circumstance for Dak's poor play, but et doesn't hold weight...et's sad actually. This is the NFL, perfect conditions don't exist, so excuses are futile, only results matter.

Now, this is a new year and I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing and seeing about Dak. Last year, no one said anything about Dak getting fat (6'2 240) for a QB. Linehan said Dak cut 10lbs, and I saw him n OTAs he looked noticeably slimmer. I think playing at a proper size will help Dak improve his movement vs rush, sliding n pocket, and quickness n his drops. I think #4 is off to a good start for a bounce back...let's go Dak.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pocket awareness is bad, if he hasn't fixed that in high school and college how you going to fix that, bad footwork, maybe can be fixed. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions, [glitches out with pressure] this fixable? Slow reads are caused by him being overly concerned with pressure. Late throws, high balls.
You seen this last year.. I guess one of his excuses of the offensive line being hurt [one guy] can be attributed to his fear of pressure. Fear makes you late on throws and slow on reads. Yep another excuse that was attributed to the receivers. They didn't get open fast enough for the fear to consume him..
Scouting reports were dead on.

Fear is correct and then PANIC sets in if there's pressure! His faults are many and at 25 you need miracle odds here to come in that they are "Corrected" at this late stage for any QB.
Again they will scream hate but in reality as a life long Cowboy fan I don't want Tim Tebow copy leading us to misery...sorry but open your eyes and see what we really have at QB folk's!!!!!

I mean DANG not one target???