Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The narrative on Dak Prescott has been he was figured out in 2017, he was a one-year wonder who was exposed as a fluke and made by the offensive line.

There is truth in there, but that isn’t the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Prescott was incapable of lifting his run-centric team when they lost their star running back to a six-game suspension and his stalwart left tackle and blindside protector.

The first eight games of the season, Prescott was playing at an MVP level. Then Ezekiel Elliott and Tyron Smith were lost and he played like a backup quarterback. Which is the real deal?

It’s probably somewhere in the middle, but in the middle is enough to lead the Cowboys to the promise land providing he doesn’t have to play behind a patchwork offensive line and without Elliott. The Cowboys went out and signed Cameron Fleming to make sure “Chaz Green, in at left tackle” never happens again. Now Prescott just needs to feel secure in the pocket again.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-2018-performance-preview/

Only Romo cry babies have that narrative.

Leadership aside? Lol. Whatever you say.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Why don't you compare Prescott to Staubach?

Aikman was a "game manager " that had the luxury of playing in a time when the salary cap was non existent..

During Aikman's years , we could afford to have All Pro players across the board and Aikman's job was simply to drive the bus...I'm not so sure Aikman is in the HOF if he played for the browns...

Now, the issue with Prescott is that if he needs an All Pro supporting cast , we need to move on..

You can't pay Prescott 30 million a year and expect us to have an All Pro supporting cast..

We are already starting to deal with this issue with Lawrence and Martin..

Not to mention , Zeke will want to get paid as well and don't think we can just draft another Blue Chip RB because those go in the top 10 of the draft .

In the end , if Prescott is another Aikman (bus driver) we need to move on..

Either draft a Stud QB that can elevate a mediocre team , or keep an All Pro supporting cast and hand the keys of the bus to another cheap bus driver type QB.

Aikman was NEVER considered a game manager. He was considered a top 5 QB. If Aikman is a game manager who isn't? Would Tom Brady be able to carry a bad team? He has had a great team around him each time he went to the superbowl. Name 5 QB's in the league that don't need good players to win consistently?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think his work ethic isn't really in question. I think his attitude is great as well. But some times, no matter how much heart, drive, etc... you have, you just aren't able to be the one.

When people mention Tebow, he was a perfect example of sheer will. He had the physical traits, he had the drive, he had a great attitude, but he wasn't the one.

So my opinion of Dak the person is great, just not Dak the player. But, I am all for giving it another season. We will really know what we have when he is the starter for the 3rd season. There shouldn't be any questions left. He will either surprise me and succeed, or he won't.
Dak is accurate when he pays attention to footwork. Add that into the equation.

kskboys

Reaction score
BS. Sanchez was a cheerleader and nothing more. We saw what happens with Sanchez at QB when he got his chance against the e-girls and it was horrible.
Of course Sanchez was horrible. What does that have to do w/ being a mentor? I'm not getting the connection.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
No No, the Eagles lost their Franchise QB (Wentz) for the season, they lost their AP right tackle (Peters) for the season, they lost their best LB (Hicks) for the season, they lost 2 FG kickers for the season and they lost Sproles for the season. If Dak doesn't improve his pocket presence this season we will be lucky to in 9 games in 2018

Foles is better and more accomplished than Wentz.

kskboys

Reaction score
Aikman was NEVER considered a game manager. He was considered a top 5 QB. If Aikman is a game manager who isn't? Would Tom Brady be able to carry a bad team? He has had a great team around him each time he went to the superbowl. Name 5 QB's in the league that don't need good players to win consistently?
Aikman was a game manager +. All great QB's are game managers.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Of course Sanchez was horrible. What does that have to do w/ being a mentor? I'm not getting the connection.
Romo was helping Dak with the on field stuff and dirty Sanchez was a cheerleader and I doubt that he did much in way of helping him read defenses.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Why don't you compare Prescott to Staubach?

Aikman was a "game manager " that had the luxury of playing in a time when the salary cap was non existent..

During Aikman's years , we could afford to have All Pro players across the board and Aikman's job was simply to drive the bus...I'm not so sure Aikman is in the HOF if he played for the browns...

Now, the issue with Prescott is that if he needs an All Pro supporting cast , we need to move on..

You can't pay Prescott 30 million a year and expect us to have an All Pro supporting cast..

We are already starting to deal with this issue with Lawrence and Martin..

Not to mention , Zeke will want to get paid as well and don't think we can just draft another Blue Chip RB because those go in the top 10 of the draft .

In the end , if Prescott is another Aikman (bus driver) we need to move on..

Either draft a Stud QB that can elevate a mediocre team , or keep an All Pro supporting cast and hand the keys of the bus to another cheap bus driver type QB.
We have the All Pro supporting cast in place for the next four years. Push on.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don't feel sorry for some of them anymore. They are some of the most bitter hateful people on the planet. I do feel sorry for the nice ones. They know which class they fall in. My appologies to the nice, kind ones.

You should look in the mirror with the crap you spew and the shade you throw. You sit in your high chair and run your mouth and pound your chest all the while bad mouthing players you don’t like. Give me a break.

starcity214

Reaction score
Aikman was a game manager +. All great QB's are game managers.

What's wrong with you people?!

Are we really putting a mediocre player avobe the well being of our team?!

Look at Deshaun Watson last year...
That kid is special.. that kid has potential to be a franchise QB...

The Texans averaged 35 points with him as the starter and 13 points without him..

Deshaun Watson is a force multiplier..

And he did it with God knows who at RB and a mediocre Offensive line..

Also , he was the focal point of his teams offense , not some RB..

When you compare Watson to Prescott , you realize that Dak is nothing more than a career backup who can come in and manage a few games for you a season..

When Watson went down , the other QBs looked like trash with the same WRs , same scheme , and Offensive line..

Why? Because Watson is a guy that will make plays and make mediocre players look better..

Also , look at San Fransisco with Garoppolo..

Same situation..

With him , they look like a decent team..

Without him? Well , they were the worst team in the league..

That's why last year I wanted to see what Our backup QB could do in week 17 , but Prescott knew he would look like trash if he let someone else play..

kskboys

Reaction score

The Texans averaged 35 points with him as the starter and 13 points without him..

When you compare Watson to Prescott , you realize that Dak is nothing more than a career backup who can come in and manage a few games for you a season..

When Watson went down , the other QBs looked like trash with the same WRs , same scheme , and Offensive line..

Why? Because Watson is a guy that will make plays and make mediocre players look better..

Same situation..

That's why last year I wanted to see what Our backup QB could do in week 17 , but Prescott knew he would look like trash if he let someone else play..
Way too soon to make that determination about Dak.

Agree w/ everything else except the last line. It wasn't up to Prescott whether he played or not. I thought it was dumb to play him.

starcity214

Reaction score
We have the All Pro supporting cast in place for the next four years. Push on.

So when Zack Martin leaves , will the new excuse be "we need another All Pro Guard "?

I can already hear you..

"Prescott would be a top ten QB if only we had another All Pro guard.. it's not Dak's fault "

waving monkey

Reaction score
So when Zack Martin leaves , will the new excuse be "we need another All Pro Guard "?

I can already hear you..

"Prescott would be a top ten QB if only we had another All Pro guard.. it's not Dak's fault "
Zack isnt leaving

silvrNblue

Reaction score
how about this, it was his SECOND starting season... did he slip, maybe, was he inconsistent, some, was it ALL to blame on Dak isn't That QB, who can lift the team on his back...NO Again, it was his SECOND season. And Dak wasn't a damn #1 pick. Get off this guys back, you want to blame someone, blame the damn coaches who sat by with their collective heads u-p their ***** and did NOTHING. I'm am about done with all the Dak haters clubs on here. You all act as if Romo was a star, MVP QB his first 2 or 3 seasons... well heres a bit of news for you, HE WAS NOT!
WHO cost us a playoff berth against Seattle? Oh that's right fumble fingers ROMO. You all seem to forget some of HIS past screw ups, but act as if this kid in his SECOND year was supposed to be a Tom Brady already. Get off the wagon if your that discouraged about our SECOND year QB.

waving monkey

Reaction score
My whole point was that All Pro players will want to be paid top money and you can't pay a QB 30 million a year and expect to pay the entire O line and RB top dollar also..

It's just not possible.

That's the whole issue I have with Prescott going forward..
I dont accept your point. Dak will be a great QB.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Same situation..

LOL...yes sir they are selling crazy here with Dak.
How a mediocre QB is portrayed as the next coming of Staubach,Aikman,etc etc is simply ludicrous now.
Didn't they watch last season when Dak all by himself cost us the playoffs?
Didn't they watch 3 str8 EMBARRASSING losses with 0 TD being scored in 15 Quarters of offense.
NO....they simply don't care as long as Dak is under center for America's team.
We have reached new lows in fan base intelligence....