Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

Number1

Reaction score
on the core ? "Is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?"

the only purely Dak issue I saw last year that needs* fixing* is his short touch, which seemed to disappear after they tweaked his deep game
we'll see, but he sure seems to have the work ethic to get it done, most of his detractors are just talking negative
with time to work he's as dangerous as any, with more speed on the field he'll be hard to beat

can Dak *fix* the play calling at the line? ... ATL? ... SEA? that's the big long term question.
Like Romo he needs near complete control to produce enough big plays
IMO, that's ultimately up to Dak and Garrett, but it needs to happen fast

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
People really need to stop saying he was playing at an MVP level the first 8 games. I can't take anyone who says that seriously. It's as if they are new to the NFL and never seen MVP QB play before.
He was playing at a very high level.... You need to stop

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
LOL...yes sir they are selling crazy here with Dak.
How a mediocre QB is portrayed as the next coming of Staubach,Aikman,etc etc is simply ludicrous now.
Didn't they watch last season when Dak all by himself cost us the playoffs?
Didn't they watch 3 str8 EMBARRASSING losses with 0 TD being scored in 15 Quarters of offense.
NO....they simply don't care as long as Dak is under center for America's team.
We have reached new lows in fan base intelligence....
Dak set records as a rookie. Better #'s than Watson. keep that in mind as you slam the guy. Wouldn't be shocked if he out plays him this season.

Oh and Dak's never had a defense like Watson's. You're fly by night. I assume you were all over Dak's nuts in 2016. Typical NFL what have you done for me lately fan.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was playing at a very high level.... You need to stop

It's the propaganda Dak train baby.....we stop for no one to sell crazy at the Dak store...not even the Star's demise baby....The Dak store always stocked up with any excuse you will need....

Today's special ....buy one Dak Excuse and get one bogus Dak Stat for free baby!

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Switzer and TWill singlehandedly lost games for the Cowboys and cost them 11-5 and the playoffs.

Big we agree do disagree i guess which is cool in the bigger scheme of thing here. Dak Prescott is Problem no 1 for our Cowboys and no matter how many players you blame and cut or how many injuries you use to excuse this young QB he simply LACKS the god given talent to take our team to better days. I know i know 2016 the "dream" season where teams we're not ready for Zeke and they had no tape on Dak and we were playing a last place schedule. In season 2017 his inept ways came to the surface big time and trust me as he lacks the talent they will surface again and again till the FO accepts the Dak days are over and start making the moves to get ourselves a true Franchise QB !

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The narrative on Dak Prescott has been he was figured out in 2017, he was a one-year wonder who was exposed as a fluke and made by the offensive line.

There is truth in there, but that isn’t the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Prescott was incapable of lifting his run-centric team when they lost their star running back to a six-game suspension and his stalwart left tackle and blindside protector.

The first eight games of the season, Prescott was playing at an MVP level. Then Ezekiel Elliott and Tyron Smith were lost and he played like a backup quarterback. Which is the real deal?

It’s probably somewhere in the middle, but in the middle is enough to lead the Cowboys to the promise land providing he doesn’t have to play behind a patchwork offensive line and without Elliott. The Cowboys went out and signed Cameron Fleming to make sure “Chaz Green, in at left tackle” never happens again. Now Prescott just needs to feel secure in the pocket again.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-2018-performance-preview/

Dak struggled alot when the team lost Elliot and Smith.

But how come they dont mention, that the team changed nothing to the scheme when Elliot went out? As if Morris and Smith were the same type of back. Eagles changed the scheme when Foles went in why? Because Foles has an entirely different skillset. But Dallas stayed in the same base offense that was designed to max out Elliots special talents.

How come this doesnt talk about it wasnt only Smith that was dealing with injuries. As Martin was suffering thru a concussion and Travis frederick was dinged up all in following weeks. How come it doesnt mention Dallas' total an complete failure to having a prepared backup LT?

How come it doesnt mention the WRs inability to consistently beat single coverage?

I dont think it was a case of the NFL figuring out Prescott but the NFL knowing what the Cowboys were going to do on offense. And what the Cowboys didnt have on offense.

Dallas has a special RB and special LT. Something happens when you lose that special RB. Roethlesberger struggles the same way when Bell has been out. Its more to do with the team philosophies than the QB. So much goes thru Elliot and Bell that the difference is clear. The same drop off happened to Aikman when Emmitt was out, as was the case with Sanders for the Lions and Bo for the Raiders. These guys you would call them special players.

People who just go by whats written and put no thought into the team scheme makeup will say Rodgers, and Brady do just fine without a RB. Well thats because the team runs thru the passing game. Not the run game. The offense runs through Rogers and Brady, while for the Cowboys you can say the offense runs through Elliot. Thats why the Cowboys picked him at 4. Because he is a game changer.

Dak was on pace to have a yr similar to 2016 from the first 8 weeks of the yr. Then all this happened.

Elliot was finally forced to serve suspension
Tyron Smith goes out
Sean Lee goes out twice
Zack Martin sufferes concussion
Travis Frederick get dinged up
David Irving is out
Dallas doesnt have a backup LT
Coaches change nothing in offensive game plan

The defense was playing really good until Lee and Irving went out. So Dallas spent more time on the field on defense and couldnt make certain stops. Along with the problems on offense and there you have the story on 2018.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If you take an honest look at Dak numbers and play thru the 1st 8 games you will see that in pretty much every category his numbers were down from 2016 (and they were down a significant amount). As for losing Zeke and Tyron (who only missed 2 and an half games), if everything has to be picture perfect for Dak to succeed then the Cowboys are in trouble. What bothers me is after we lost Zeke Dak was unable to lift his game at all, (infact he went the other direction). It would have been one thing to see Dak play lights out and we were losing it was an entirley different thing to see us lose 3 games in a row 27-7, 37-9, and 28-6. I am willing to give Dak his 3rd year to see if he can be the guy he was in 2017 but i just don't think he can

I dont think losing Tyron is even on par with the team losing Elliot. Dak has probably his best stretch of games with Tyron out in 2016. Who was playing LT? Chaz Green. The difference is Elliot was playing. You think Dallas was ready to give up on Aikman after his horrible start when Emmitt held out? Nope they knew Emmitt was special and they knew the team needed him in there because the offense ran through him. How was Dak going to play "lights out" if he was still running a offense that was made to run through Elliot, and forcing the ball to a WR who still cant find a job.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak struggled alot when the team lost Elliot and Smith.

But how come they dont mention, that the team changed nothing to the scheme when Elliot went out? As if Morris and Smith were the same type of back. Eagles changed the scheme when Foles went in why? Because Foles has an entirely different skillset. But Dallas stayed in the same base offense that was designed to max out Elliots special talents.

How come this doesnt talk about it wasnt only Smith that was dealing with injuries. As Martin was suffering thru a concussion and Travis frederick was dinged up all in following weeks. How come it doesnt mention Dallas' total an complete failure to having a prepared backup LT?

How come it doesnt mention the WRs inability to consistently beat single coverage?

I dont think it was a case of the NFL figuring out Prescott but the NFL knowing what the Cowboys were going to do on offense. And what the Cowboys didnt have on offense.

Dallas has a special RB and special LT. Something happens when you lose that special RB. Roethlesberger struggles the same way when Bell has been out. Its more to do with the team philosophies than the QB. So much goes thru Elliot and Bell that the difference is clear. The same drop off happened to Aikman when Emmitt was out, as was the case with Sanders for the Lions and Bo for the Raiders. These guys you would call them special players.

People who just go by whats written and put no thought into the team scheme makeup will say Rodgers, and Brady do just fine without a RB. Well thats because the team runs thru the passing game. Not the run game. The offense runs through Rogers and Brady, while for the Cowboys you can say the offense runs through Elliot. Thats why the Cowboys picked him at 4. Because he is a game changer.

Dak was on pace to have a yr similar to 2016 from the first 8 weeks of the yr. Then all this happened.

Tyron Smith goes out
Sean Lee goes out twice
David Irving is out

The defense was playing really good until Lee and Irving went out. So Dallas spent more time on the field on defense and couldnt make certain stops. Along with the problems on offense and there you have the story on 2018.

Tyron Smith goes out
Sean Lee goes out twice
David Irving is out

Ok all the above excuses for Dak's inept showings last season. Now what do we do about the following flaw's Dak has?

Poor footwork.
Poor Accuracy.
Poor Pocket awr.
Poor downfield vision.
Poor pass timing(doesn't anticipate and lead the WR)
Poor Def reads.
Poor arm strength(Has to wind up to throw the long one)
Poor Decision making back there.
Poor Leadership(throws his wr under the bus to save his A@@)
Poor maturity as when sacked he becomes "Panic Dak" and turnovers are numerous!

I guess we can continue to blame everyone and everything else when things go bad for Dak......amazing simply amazing .....!!!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Ok all the above excuses for Dak's inept showings last season. Now what do we do about the following flaw's Dak has?

Poor footwork.
Poor Accuracy.
Poor Pocket awr.
Poor downfield vision.
Poor Def reads.

I guess we can continue to blame everyone and everything else when things go bad for Dak......amazing simply amazing .....!!!

He doesnt have poor footwork, i dont know where you get that from. If ur saying sometimes he doesnt set his feet ill agree. But this first one clearly tells me you have a one sided view on the player.

He does have accuracy problems at times, and other times he is really accurate. As is the case with 95% of the qbs in the nfl. All this talk of Dak inaccurate though? he was 9th in comp % in QBs who played the whole season, and 11th when you add Rodgers and Garropolo. The 2 QBs people wished Dallas picked in the 2016 draft. Dak 62.9%, Goff 62.1%, Wentz 60.2%.

Dak has really good pocket awareness and he's showed that time and time again. When a issue was shown was when he team couldnt figure out how to help in protection and there was nowhere to go but down.

Poor pass timing? Again there are times when he's off, but cant some of this be on the WRs? Ill give you a prime example...Vs the Raiders Dez is running a cross route and Bowman see's Dez slides over and Dez pulls up. INT because of Dez business decision.

Poor leadership? LOL im going to stop my reply now

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He doesnt have poor footwork, i dont know where you get that from. If ur saying sometimes he doesnt set his feet ill agree. But this first one clearly tells me you have a one sided view on the player.

He does have accuracy problems at times, and other times he is really accurate. As is the case with 95% of the qbs in the nfl. All this talk of Dak inaccurate though? he was 9th in comp % in QBs who played the whole season, and 11th when you add Rodgers and Garropolo. The 2 QBs people wished Dallas picked in the 2016 draft. Dak 62.9%, Goff 62.1%, Wentz 60.2%.

Dak has really good pocket awareness and he's showed that time and time again. When a issue was shown was when he team couldnt figure out how to help in protection and there was nowhere to go but down.

Poor pass timing? Again there are times when he's off, but cant some of this be on the WRs? Ill give you a prime example...Vs the Raiders Dez is running a cross route and Bowman see's Dez slides over and Dez pulls up. INT because of Dez business decision.

Poor leadership? LOL im going to stop my reply now

Ok bud .lol...amazing simply amazing.....GL to our Cowboys!!!!

waving monkey

Reaction score
Tyron Smith goes out
Sean Lee goes out twice
David Irving is out

Poor footwork.
Poor Accuracy.
Poor Pocket awr.
Poor downfield vision.
Poor Def reads.

:muttley:

Hadenough

Reaction score
If you take an honest look at Dak numbers and play thru the 1st 8 games you will see that in pretty much every category his numbers were down from 2016 (and they were down a significant amount). As for losing Zeke and Tyron (who only missed 2 and an half games), if everything has to be picture perfect for Dak to succeed then the Cowboys are in trouble. What bothers me is after we lost Zeke Dak was unable to lift his game at all, (infact he went the other direction). It would have been one thing to see Dak play lights out and we were losing it was an entirley different thing to see us lose 3 games in a row 27-7, 37-9, and 28-6. I am willing to give Dak his 3rd year to see if he can be the guy he was in 2017 but i just don't think he can
You pretty much covered it! The concern was there were times when Dak looked like he wasnt an NFL caliber player and really struggled!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Ok bud .lol...amazing simply amazing.....GL to our Cowboys!!!!

Taking your response into consideration im willing to bet you thought Goff and Wentz were far superior in stats. When in fact Dak has better stats all away around than both.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The QB will also have to work on his mechanical issues, including his footwork that made his accuracy scary bad at points in the second half of the season.

Dallas fired the guy (Wade Wilson) who was in charge of that and hired Kellen Moore. Time will tell whether that was the best move to make. They also brought in a whole slew of new receivers to target with the hopes they are better able to get open and provide more wiggle room for slightly off-target throws.

A healthy and not-suspended supporting cast will be enough to return Prescott to a level where Dallas can compete and win. An improvement in his technique can launch him into a whole different category.
And he has a slow baseball delivery that he has been working on to quicken up. He's in the process, still not there yet. Is also terrible about locking onto one WR and staring him down, as well as lacking the pocket sense to feel the rush coming. Has problems spreading the ball around.

He slipped because he's not ready to play pro QB.
I think you are talking about White. But sounds exactly like Dak:muttley:

NotForLong

Reaction score
Shocking how a few long runs through semi truck holes makes anyone believe Morris was good last year. He's just OK.
So by your logic Zeke shouldn' get any credit when he runs through those same holes. Yet Zeke had less average:huh:

NotForLong

Reaction score
Wow. We have a guy going into his 3rd year and people are already wanting to write him off. If you guys were judging Aikman he would have been run out of town. He has some pretty bad games early in his career. We even flirted with Steve Walsh.

In this first year (1989) he went 0-11 and the only game won was when Walsh beat Washington and the next year (1990) he only won 7 games and had a whopping 66 QBR. In 1991 he went down and Steve Beuerlein won two games and their first playoff game. Aikman got the start in the 2nd game and lost.

With that setup who would have seen a hall of fame career? Other than him being picked #1 in the draft, he didn't look like the all pro he eventually became. So who knows 2 years in with Dak. It will take us another year or two to really know.
Umm no . Aikman prototpical QB in every aspect. I don' judge Qbs by winning record. Which must be your evaluation technique. No wonder your enamoured with an inaccurate poor QB ( Dak) is that how you Dak Lovers judge him. Winning Record? No wonder you all thought he was better then Romo. Now it makes sense