Leighton continues to impress!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Like him.….but be careful. When there's a lot of poop poop around, its easier to look better or cleaner before you get the poop poop too.

OScan looked great with a mediocre secondary.
For a span of time Sandrick DiD shine,,, later on the dude always looked to me look he was playing with the numbed pain of a stinger in his thumper contact shoulder that he'd run in & lay on the ball carrying enemy,,,& sometimes that flying shoulder hit just wasn't enough to stop that ball from advancing.further than it should haveo_O

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lee isn't a thumper either and no one is complaining. LVE just needs little more lessons from Lee and if he's the next Lee with size and no injury issues.... we struck gold.

Great point. And many, or maybe most, think Lee is a HOF talent, but won't be a HOFer because he can't stay healthy. In the end, being effective is more important than the occasional big hit. LVE's method is fundamentally sound, and runners don't cause him to miss tackles and therefore don't go on to big gains. The thing is, most runners aren't stationary targets where a big, solid hit is possible. Most are movinig targets, often with blockers, and many defenders will just keep running with the ball carrier looking for a chance to make a more solid hit. That leads to allowing more yards, and sometimes big plays. LVE will make the tackle any way he can, as quickly as he can, instead of waiting for an opportunity to make a bigger hit, and that prevents yards.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. But as of now LVE isn’t a force at the point of attack. He’s a good open field tackler tho. Which is also a good asset. Hopefully he’ll get stronger and be more impactful in the gaps.

These all look like pretty good plays at the point of attack. Not saying he doesn't have room to improve, but I wouldn't call it a weak spot either.

davidariust24

Reaction score
LVE is awesome especially for a rookie. He looks like he can add more muscle. He is going to be a beast. He, Jaylon, Dlaw and others are agreat core. if we had a Patrick Peterson at CB or an elite safety along with David Iriving coming backt the defense would be stellar. LVE is going to be a pro bowler.

keysersoze

Reaction score
These all look like pretty good plays at the point of attack. Not saying he doesn't have room to improve, but I wouldn't call it a weak spot either.

Yeah but. Most of those he was IN ON the tackle. Not actually MAKING the tackle. Ya know?

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Great draft pick!
Great instincts and his wingspan and tackling ability is impressive to watch.

Jeff Heath and Jaylon were sure fun to watch tonight as well..saved a couple touchdowns for sure.
he's doing ok, nothing to hold a conversation about yet..lol
I still say we should have taken C. Ridley instead of this dude, how many TD's does he have thus far, yep thought so.?
what has the Vander done to help this team win?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
LVE nailed one tackle in the hole on the goal line, preventing a TD....no issue with the thump there.
Let’s remember, LVE is playing MLB while Jalen is playing WLB, the playmaking spot in this defense. And Houston wasn’t running the ball much, not even on the 1 yard line, so LVE was almost always pursuing to the outside. For as little experience as he has, I’m absolutely thrilled with what he’s doing as a rookie who missed most of camp and preseason with an ankle injury.

Instincts + Size + Athletic ability + a competitive fire = A future star.

He and Jalen will be the best LB group we’ve had since Jordan and Howley.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but. Most of those he was IN ON the tackle. Not actually MAKING the tackle. Ya know?

Admittedly it's hard to see in some cases with all the bodies - that's the nature of plays at the point of attack rather than in the open field - but he was credited with 11 solo tackles, and only 2 assists, so some of those had to be his. In any case, a large part of the job and of being tough at the point of attack is filling holes and taking on FBs, TEs and O-Linemen, and in doing so, even if he doesn't make the tackle himself it shuts off any point of escape for the RB.

And let's be fair minded about this. How often do we see any interior LB, whether ours or our opponents, taking on the RB one on one at the line of scrimmage, standing him up and driving him back. The reason it is so noticed when it happens is because it is rare. Accordingly it seems a bit unfair to say LVE is weak at the point of attack for not doing something that only very rarely happens anyway. Even as great a player as Sean Lee is when healthy, we don't see that happen a lot with him.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Admittedly it's hard to see in some cases with all the bodies - that's the nature of plays at the point of attack rather than in the open field - but he was credited with 11 solo tackles, and only 2 assists, so some of those had to be his. In any case, a large part of the job and of being tough at the point of attack is filling holes and taking on FBs, TEs and O-Linemen, and in doing so, even if he doesn't make the tackle himself it shuts off any point of escape for the RB.

And let's be fair minded about this. How often do we see any interior LB, whether ours or our opponents, taking on the RB one on one at the line of scrimmage, standing him up and driving him back. The reason it is so noticed when it happens is because it is rare. Accordingly it seems a bit unfair to say LVE is weak at the point of attack for not doing something that only very rarely happens anyway. Even as great a player as Sean Lee is when healthy, we don't see that happen a lot with him.
Great points. But why are people bashing Jaylon for taking on the blocks that allow others to make tackles? It’s hypocritical to say Jaylon got caught in the trash while saying LVE is doing a linebacker’s job. It’s the same thing, but described differently depending on which player is being discussed.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I agree. With one exception. LVE wrestles people to the ground which allows extra yards. He’s not yet strong enough at the point of attack, which is why we rarely see him shooting gaps and making tackles for loss or no gain. All of which I think he will improve with an off-season workout. So far so good for the young man tho.
He shot a pretty good gap last night. I was impressed by his speed.
I admit I didn't know much about him before the draft. But based on his play, I'm glad we picked him over Ridley.
You need defense to stop these pass happy offenses. A receiver? Eh.
Get an accurate quarterback and mediocre receivers won't be able to hide. They'll either make the catch or get cut.
Inaccurate quarterbacks give receivers excuses to be lazy. It's just human nature: If you don't think you're going to get the ball, you slack off.
That's why I think our receivers are subpar. Remember, Romo could make average receivers good to great, and that's because, for the most part, he knew how to get them the ball.

keysersoze

Reaction score
He shot a pretty good gap last night. I was impressed by his speed.
I admit I didn't know much about him before the draft. But based on his play, I'm glad we picked him over Ridley.
You need defense to stop these pass happy offenses. A receiver? Eh.
Get an accurate quarterback and mediocre receivers won't be able to hide. They'll either make the catch or get cut.
Inaccurate quarterbacks give receivers excuses to be lazy. It's just human nature: If you don't think you're going to get the ball, you slack off.
That's why I think our receivers are subpar. Remember, Romo could make average receivers good to great, and that's because, for the most part, he knew how to get them the ball.
No. Actually being on the field with TO and Witten made the receivers look better. They constantly drew double teams which left them open vs lesser DBs and/or linebackers. Romo didn’t look great when surrounded by lower tier WRs either. Let’s just be honest. Every offseason people cried about what Romo would need to succeed. Damn!! Folks around here sure have short memories.
As for LVE... He looks good and should improve over time. But it’s hypocritical to have bashed Jaylon last year for his efforts. Jaylon was thrown into the lead role while LVE has the luxury of being a sidekick as a rookie. But hey. To each, his own.

keysersoze

Reaction score
He honestly looks like the second coming of Brian Urlacher. When he bulks up next off season, he's going to be a beast.
Wow!!! You can estimate all of that in only 5 games? :huh: Jerry should put you on the scouting payroll.