Leighton continues to impress!

keysersoze

Reaction score
Jaylon's been here three years man. He better be the best LB out there last night, and he probably was. He played the best game I've ever seen him play in a Cowboy uni. Esch is a Rookie and he is doing really well just to be starting. I think we gotta give him a little time and he'll be fine. A full year of training is going to do him a world of good. He gets stronger and he going to start stone walling guys instead of just making tackles. I'm really happy with the Dude myself.

JMO
I agree... But for some people to claim he’s already ahead of Jaylon is just dumb. He’s not and probably never will be. In all actuality Jaylon is in his second season of playing. And also still recovering from a horrible knee and nerve injury. LVE is doing well for a rookie and I know he will only improve. As will Jaylon. But certain people want LVE to be better. For whatever reasons. Smh.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Jaylon's been here three years man. He better be the best LB out there last night, and he probably was. He played the best game I've ever seen him play in a Cowboy uni. Esch is a Rookie and he is doing really well just to be starting. I think we gotta give him a little time and he'll be fine. A full year of training is going to do him a world of good. He gets stronger and he going to start stone walling guys instead of just making tackles. I'm really happy with the Dude myself.

JMO
I don't disagree with anything you said.

Funny thing is, everything I put in bold above is what the pro-Jaylon crowd was saying last year and got absolutely hammered for it.

I want both LVE and Jaylon to be dominant LB's. My point was that Jaylon is making more impact plays at the moment than LVE.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree... But for some people to claim he’s already ahead of Jaylon is just dumb. He’s not and probably never will be. In all actuality Jaylon is in his second season of playing. And also still recovering from a horrible knee and nerve injury. LVE is doing well for a rookie and I know he will only improve. As will Jaylon. But certain people want LVE to be better. For whatever reasons. Smh.

Well, depends on how you frame it right? I mean, if we are talking about both players at similar stages of their careers, he obviously is for obvious reasons. If we are saying, each player right this second, no. Jaylon is a better player right now but I'm telling, as good as Jaylon is and he is very talented, this kid could end up being better. He has that same kind of Athletic ability and he's going to be a lot bigger I think. Heck, he might end up being a DE, seriously. He's like 6'4 256 right now. He hasn't even been through an NFL off season weight training and diet regiment. He's going to like 270 in a year or two. With is speed and the strength and weight he is going to gain, he could be a DE before too long. Seriously.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Funny thing is, everything I put in bold above is what the pro-Jaylon crowd was saying last year and got absolutely hammered for it.

I want both LVE and Jaylon to be dominant LB's. My point was that Jaylon is making more impact plays at the moment than LVE.

Gotta be honest, Jaylon was not playing as well as VE was last year at this point IMO. Heck, he still looked like he wasn't right even last year. Just looked like he didn't have enough strength to stack. That's nothing against Smith, he wasn't really good at that before the injury to be honest. This year, he looks to me as if he is strong enough and has gained back that athleticism and overcome the mental stuff that goes along with those kinds of injuries. He is playing really well but VE, he is playing about as well as you can expect from Rookie. I think he's going great. Whatever the deal was last year with Smith, I don't think it's fair to put that on this kid because of what somebody maybe said about Smith. That's just not fair to the kid.

JMO

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Great draft pick!
Great instincts and his wingspan and tackling ability is impressive to watch.

Jeff Heath and Jaylon were sure fun to watch tonight as well..saved a couple touchdowns for sure.
Great Thread O.P.:thumbup:

:starspin::bow::starspin:

* You might take note of the fact I've engaged that stalkerish follow mode upon you henceforth,,,o_O
:starspin::):starspin:

keysersoze

Reaction score

Yep. Exactly!!!!:hammer:

keysersoze

Reaction score
Well, depends on how you frame it right? I mean, if we are talking about both players at similar stages of their careers, he obviously is for obvious reasons. If we are saying, each player right this second, no. Jaylon is a better player right now but I'm telling, as good as Jaylon is and he is very talented, this kid could end up being better. He has that same kind of Athletic ability and he's going to be a lot bigger I think. Heck, he might end up being a DE, seriously. He's like 6'4 256 right now. He hasn't even been through an NFL off season weight training and diet regiment. He's going to like 270 in a year or two. With is speed and the strength and weight he is going to gain, he could be a DE before too long. Seriously.
Hey! You’ve got some valid points. Although I respect your opinions. Mine differs.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
First and foremost, we need sure tackling. Interceptions, strips and sacks will come. But I'm tired of defensive players whiffing on tackles. When the LVE machine tackles, offensive players don't move forward. Fundamentally sound. That's what we need.

Yes Sir! you :hammer:it in a most distinct fashion of no B.S.way of laying it out there fer' all who got the ears:thumbup:

Man, I knew that Cat was a surefire tackling machine since before the draft:starspin:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually I totally agree with you. I’m not downplaying LVE either. I’m just stating the obvious as I see it. Same as those who said worse things about Jaylon and Rico. There’s a big difference in how they are all judged by some. It’s silly to me, but since people want to make comparisons I’ll put my opinion in the pot as well. And I don’t think LVE is smarter, stronger or more athletic than Jaylon. Apparently the coaching staff doesn’t either.

I think they are both very athletic. Jaylon is a little faster, LVE a little bigger, but both are outstanding athletes. Both made great plays running from the middle of the field to the sideline to prevent a TD - I don't think that's something you could expect from most LBs. Jaylon I would say is probably more maneuverable, and therefor better in coverage, but I would say LVE is a more sure tackler. I know entering the game it was reported he hadn't yet missed a tackle and I don't recall that he did yesterday either.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My only issue with LVE is he's not a thumper. All of his tackles are drag downs, whereas someone like Jaylon actually brings the thump. Maybe it's because he's so tall, so he's losing leverage battles and it's not like he isn't a good tackler, it's just that with his size and athleticism, I expected a little more violence in his game.

I think it's more that LVE's first concern is the tackle moreso than a big hit. Players being intent on the big hit are much more likely to whiff on tackles, and therefore more likely to allow big plays that could have been prevented. LVE breaks down to make sure he is ready for whatever cut the runner might make, and he wraps up when he tackles. And he actually did have a few pretty solid hits yesterday.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I think they are both very athletic. Jaylon is a little faster, LVE a little bigger, but both are outstanding athletes. Both made great plays running from the middle of the field to the sideline to prevent a TD - I don't think that's something you could expect from most LBs. Jaylon I would say is probably more maneuverable, and therefor better in coverage, but I would say LVE is a more sure tackler. I know entering the game it was reported he hadn't yet missed a tackle and I don't recall that he did yesterday either.
I agree. With one exception. LVE wrestles people to the ground which allows extra yards. He’s not yet strong enough at the point of attack, which is why we rarely see him shooting gaps and making tackles for loss or no gain. All of which I think he will improve with an off-season workout. So far so good for the young man tho.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
My only issue with LVE is he's not a thumper. All of his tackles are drag downs, whereas someone like Jaylon actually brings the thump. Maybe it's because he's so tall, so he's losing leverage battles and it's not like he isn't a good tackler, it's just that with his size and athleticism, I expected a little more violence in his game.
Hey @TheCount, Y'all or most should know I've never wavered from the faith in #54 ,but, just WTH is up with him seemingly 'jam- thwarting' the hole on dog pile running plays with the back of his shoulder blades?,,,:huh:,,,It can't drive me any further nuts than I already am ,but I do find it oddly irksome to see him applying the finishing ' Coue de grau' on runs up the middle like that,,,,Dude did play unchained last nite,,, er,,,other than that one stiff arm:starspin:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. With one exception. LVE wrestles people to the ground which allows extra yards. He’s not yet strong enough at the point of attack, which is why we rarely see him shooting gaps and making tackles for loss or no gain. All of which I think he will improve with an off-season workout. So far so good for the young man tho.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. He just focuses on wrapping up when he tackles, unlike many defensive players who focus on the big hit and are much more prone to whiff on tackles, or even if they do hit the runner pretty well, if the runner can manage to stay on his feet he has a chance to keep running. I think some of the tackles that are seen as wrestling a guy to the ground actually prevent more yardage because a lot of defensive players will try and run with the ball carrier until they can get a better hit, therefore allowing the runner to gain more yards, whereas LVE will lunge for the legs to make the tackle and keep those extra yards from happening.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Lee isn't a thumper either and no one is complaining. LVE just needs little more lessons from Lee and if he's the next Lee with size and no injury issues.... we struck gold.

Lee's technique is different, in my opinion. He doesn't go for the big hit either, but he's pumping his legs to bring ou down and stop your momentum. LVE catches and drags you down.

There's no right or wrong, I did say LVE is a good tackler. Lee isn't 6'4" and 260 lbs though.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. He just focuses on wrapping up when he tackles, unlike many defensive players who focus on the big hit and are much more prone to whiff on tackles, or even if they do hit the runner pretty well, if the runner can manage to stay on his feet he has a chance to keep running. I think some of the tackles that are seen as wrestling a guy to the ground actually prevent more yardage because a lot of defensive players will try and run with the ball carrier until they can get a better hit, therefore allowing the runner to gain more yards, whereas LVE will lunge for the legs to make the tackle and keep those extra yards from happening.
Good point. But as of now LVE isn’t a force at the point of attack. He’s a good open field tackler tho. Which is also a good asset. Hopefully he’ll get stronger and be more impactful in the gaps.

DiResta

Reaction score

not all were pretty but it's promising
Capture.jpg

I like that he doesn't hesitate before he commits to a tackle