Let’s talk about Dak’s completion percentage

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Answer the question that I posed

You would have to break this down and compare it to QBs who have a similar amount of throws a game as him the past 5 weeks...

Jameis Winston and Mariota have thrown similar amount of passes, are averaging around what Dak is right now.

I’ll have to break it down, but as I have stated, completion % this year is no an impressive stat to be looking at. It wasn’t impressive last week when Rivers and Mariota had like 2 incompletions combined...

It’s a league wide trend right now.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
My “entire post” is showing how the completion % is unusually high this year. Read, comprehend, and the respond.

You are also ignoring that Dak has a low amount of passes per game compared to most of the league..

Again, Derek Carr has 68% completion rating with a 7.0+ average with nothing around him...

Do you see the point being made here?
You truly don't have an understanding of football. You are ignoring the basic premise of why he has a low amount of passes/game. This is a team built around running and ball control and Zeke is one of the best RBs in the league. It becomes foolish to go pass heavy and not use our most effective weapon in Zeke just to satisfy a fans desire to fill up passing stats. It's ultimately about winning, not compiling stats. It's not a coincidence that arguably Romo's best year was also the one he averaged less than 30 passes/game. I'm sure there are plenty of seats on the Cousins bandwagon, plenty of stats, but not much winning. Der!

Dre11

Reaction score
in 2016 he didn't ball out.....he was 23rd in passing and middle of the pack in TDs. in the first 7 games we scored around 20. in the past 5 games we score around 21.4.....not a big difference, even though his percentage has gone up and his passing yards have gone up too, it hasn't translated to points.....this past game against the saints, everyone was gaga over his completion percentage, yet we only scored 13 points and if not for the defense we would have been screwed against 30th ranked pass defense...

Again, trying to discredit his 2016 season...lol

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ut-dak-prescotts-one-of-a-kind-rookie-season/

Dre11

Reaction score
You truly don't have an understanding of football. You are ignoring the basic premise of why he has a low amount of passes/game. This is a team built around running and ball control and Zeke is one of the best RBs in the league. It becomes foolish to go pass heavy and not use our most effective weapon in Zeke just to satisfy a fans desire to fill up passing stats. It's ultimately about winning, not compiling stats. It's not a coincidence that arguably Romo's best year was also the one he averaged less than 30 passes/game. I'm sure there are plenty of seats on the Cousins bandwagon, plenty of stats, but not much winning. Der!

Also, it was the same with Aikman and Emmitt.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Okay... when he was a rookie. I, unfortunately, lost that year. But do you say he has a Great around him right now?

I don’t think it’s a great offense, I don’t think it’s a bad offense either...

Plenty of QBs are playing with mediocre offensive lines who also don’t have a benefit of a running game

I also don’t think our offense was bad last year, and yet, he was middling still.

It shouldn’t be a shock to anyone that Dak is middling in his best days. Claiming he is “top 12-15” just doesn’t hold up (Cowboy Roy ranked him there)

I don’t think a single site that digs deep into statistics has him within the top 15, and certainly he isn’t top 15 when it comes to raw statistics.

Crap like this is what gets players overpaid.

JBS

Reaction score
You would have to break this down and compare it to QBs who have a similar amount of throws a game as him the past 5 weeks...

Jameis Winston and Mariota have thrown similar amount of passes, are averaging around what Dak is right now.

I’ll have to break it down, but as I have stated, completion % this year is no an impressive stat to be looking at. It wasn’t impressive last week when Rivers and Mariota had like 2 incompletions combined...

It’s a league wide trend right now.

I agree w this..but what was the point of this topic then?

Are people going around in here patting dak on the back for his completion %?

Dre11

Reaction score
At this point in the middle of the pak. Around the 12-15 range. Another year or two and with much better Oline play and a TE he will be a top 10 QB. Never going to be an elite, top 5 QB. Never going to break passing records. HIs leadership, clutch abilities, and dual threat makes him unique. The best part of his game. Things you cant teach.

And of course its why the trolls focus on the passing numbers only.

Exactly

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Come on man, you know that's false.

If it was up to the same people who hate Dak, Tom Brady would have never been allowed to sign a second contract with the Cowboys. Tom Brady did not become "Tom Brady" until his breakout year after teaming up with Randy Moss in 2007.

Before Randy Moss? NEVER had 30 TDs in a season. And in 5 of 7 years as a starter, was UNDER 7.0 ypc all the while NEVER hitting more than 64% of his passes.

Sure he won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, but go look at his playoff game logs. Only 2 of 9 games he was over 300 yards. But outside of those two games, he never broke 240 and had more games UNDER 150 yards than he had over 300 (3).

Tom Brady RARELY carried the Patriots his first several years. What he was was careful to not put his defense in bad situation and clutch when he needed to be.

"But that was before all the rules that made offense so easy!!!" I can hear now. While true, it's not like the Cowboys run a modern offense either. Instead, we go by just beat the man in front of you every play, even if the routes tell you to run RIGHT TO the defender and just turn around.

Tom Brady played in a far different era early on and when you compare his stats to other QBs around that time, Tom was still top of the league in many categories.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he was an average PASSER in 2016. no matter how many articles you point to. we have seen the results first hand. Zeke is heart and soul of this offense. when zeke went out, Dak looked like crap. the team went 3-3.....

the articles don't matter. you look at the body of work. and you see an average NFL QB.....

why are you so bothered by this? why are you so bothered by criticism of Dak. you seem to be taking this personally....its just sports entertainment. why does it matter that Dak sucks..... you have to learn to separate life and what really matters from sports entertainment. I mean you seem to have put in a lot of time into this and in the end, Dak is still average.

Bennie

Reaction score
he was an average PASSER in 2016. no matter how many articles you point to. we have seen the results first hand. Zeke is heart and soul of this offense. when zeke went out, Dak looked like crap. the team went 3-3.....

the articles don't matter. you look at the body of work. and you see an average NFL QB.....

why are you so bothered by this? why are you so bothered by criticism of Dak. you seem to be taking this personally....its just sports entertainment. why does it matter that Dak sucks..... you have to learn to separate life and what really matters from sports entertainment. I mean you seem to have put in a lot of time into this and in the end, Dak is still average.

Isn't amazing how many fans just can't trust their own eyes? Dak is an average to below average QB. He has so many flaws but they choose to just over look them for some reason. What's the point of paying him big money if everything around him has to be perfect for him to be average? He doesn't elevate anyone around him like other franchise QBs do.

Zman5

Reaction score
According to this stat, Kirk Cousins must be better than Tom Brady.

Tom Brady is ranked 22nd in comp% (65.2) with 7.5 YPA. Cousins is ranked #3 in comp% (71.1) with 7.4 YPA. Tom Brady must suck. He isn't even as good as Dak (66.8) with 7.3 YPA.

Yeh Ok.

ben24

Reaction score
In my opinion completion percentage doesn't mean jack squat anymore. Take a look at the 4 QB's that are completing 70%+.... only one of those guys (Drew Brees) is currently in the playoffs. Back in the day completion percentage carried a lot of weight, but as you can see almost every starting QB completes 65%+ of their passes.
Completion percentage has never been important (at least from any stats I've seen in the last 20 years or so). It's funny that it is talked about so often when the correlation between completion percentage and winning is very low. It's also one of the problems with the passer rating system since it carries more weight than the other 3 metrics but is by far the least important of the 4.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The problems with Dak aren't measured by a few percentage points on his completion percentage.

Similarly, what he brings to the team isn't measured by that either.

We can see poor accuracy on a lot of throws. Not so much against NO. The bad throw was the whiff to a wide open Gallup, but I think that was probably from getting too amped up on his run from the previous play. Maybe he learns how to control that better.

We see him take sacks instead of getting rid of the ball. We see ball security becoming a problem.

But we didn't see the happy feet and poor throwing mechanics from earlier in the season.

Dak is a mixed bag. He's gotten better. And if you want to talk completion percentage, he's 73 % since the bye. 62% before.

*******Actually, he's gotten much better since the bye. Dak is a brand new QB. I didn't notice how much better he's played. I don't think anyone has.

Cmp Att Yds TD Int Cmp% Y/A
Before 128 206 1417 8 4 62 6.9
After 115 158 1258 6 1 73 8.0

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The problems with Dak aren't measured by a few percentage points on his completion percentage.

Similarly, what he brings to the team isn't measured by that either.

We can see poor accuracy on a lot of throws. Not so much against NO. The bad throw was the whiff to a wide open Gallup, but I think that was probably from getting too amped up on his run from the previous play. Maybe he learns how to control that better.

We see him take sacks instead of getting rid of the ball. We see ball security becoming a problem.

But we didn't see the happy feet and poor throwing mechanics from earlier in the season.

Dak is a mixed bag. He's gotten better. And if you want to talk completion percentage, he's 73 % since the bye. 62% before.

*******Actually, he's gotten much better since the bye. Dak is a brand new QB. I didn't notice how much better he's played. I don't think anyone has.

Cmp Att Yds TD Int Cmp% Y/A
Before 128 206 1417 8 4 62 6.9
After 115 158 1258 6 1 73 8.0
the results have to show on the score board. I know there is 4 more games to play so the judgment still out, but before the bye we scored 20, after the by we are scoring 21.4. the difference obviously is cooper. so lets see how much better we are after the next few games....also, we still have trouble inside the 20 when things are tighter and accuracy is at a premium.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
His QB rating is over 100 during the 4 game win streak. Nothing middling about it. Then there is the rushing yards and TD's. 4-0

And lets just imagine that Dak was average. So then he is a top 15 QB? So where is a troll like you going to find someone better then that?

Once the line is fixed hell be an MVP candidate again. New contract coming.
that's the whole point. there are no other options at this point, but why do we have to go gaga over an average QB and all Dak lovers getting their short tied in a knot because someone pointed to Dak's flaws.... make no mistakes about it, this offense is all about Zeke. plus this OL thing is getting old. I was watching the steelers, chargers game last night and both of those QBs had similar pressure. what Dak lovers want is the 2016 OL and they compare this line to that.....in essence they want to give Dak a great OL, great WR, great RB, great TE and have him be good....given those resources I expect Elite...what we had in 2016 was just good....we may end up paying Dak 20 mill because there are no other options, not because he deserves it