Let's be honest. Lance's play is better for Dak's contract demands than anything Dak could have done

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Obviously we don't know for certain what the Cowboys' real plan for Lance was in terms of their future. My take has always been they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle a third time getting a franchise QB for next to nothing. Lance showed some things in this preseason but IMHO the thing he showed most was that he aint an NFL ready QB and that the Cowboys best chance of winning games this season is with Dak Prescott. Now as for what they thought of his performance in the context of beyond this year I can't say. But he would have had to have seriously lit it up this preseason for the Cowboys to have even seen him as a possible 2025 starter, let alone 2024.
Lance isn’t a rookie.

Dallas loves what they see in the kid. He’s fire.

And we got him for a 4th.

If Dak had a successful post season career, we wouldn’t even have this discussion about a Lance.

It’s Daks fault.

T-RO

Reaction score
Obviously we don't know for certain what the Cowboys' real plan for Lance was in terms of their future. My take has always been they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle a third time getting a franchise QB for next to nothing. Lance showed some things in this preseason but IMHO the thing he showed most was that he aint an NFL ready QB and that the Cowboys best chance of winning games this season is with Dak Prescott. Now as for what they thought of his performance in the context of beyond this year I can't say. But he would have had to have seriously lit it up this preseason for the Cowboys to have even seen him as a possible 2025 starter, let alone 2024.
Can't disagree about the Lance-game impact.

But there's this: Dak and his agent have SHREDED Jones and the front office in past negotiations and left the team castrated in it's financial options.

I don't think Jones likes that one bit, and I don't think logic will let that continue with another extension. The team will eat a massive dead contract hit and move on.

Dak is outstanding. A top tier QB. But he is absolutely not worth $60mil per year, and I suspect this will be the last year for Prescott. I'll root for him through the season! As a business man Prescott did incredibly well and I expect him to get a big fat contract next offseason...from someone else.

It just makes the most sense for the Cowboys to move on. Dak is borderline greatness, but his ceiling just isn't high enough for this to continue. DP isn't top four--especially against high level opponents-- and he's only going to diminish moving forward.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Dak has failed sucking in the playoffs but Lance a 4 year pro fails in preseason games…. :laugh:
Well, at least there is no getting our hopes up for Lance, only to have them crushed every year when someone says the magic words to make Dak Prescott disappear before your eyes - "Abracadivisional Playoff Game".

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry's an optimist. He's what I would call a Detrimental Optimist. He only saw the good w/ Lance, guaranteed. Jerry's thought is that Lance played well enough to take over when Dak walks.

Honestly, I don't think we have a choice w/ Dak anymore. We have zero team control after this year. We can't pay him huge if we want to win, so Jerry simply convinces himself that Lance is ready.

Brax

Reaction score
Who would say "no" other than the ABD crowd? Dak has accomplished far more in the league than either of those guys.
Ronnie if anyone has ABD it would be someone like you, you magically disappear when Dak does a choke job and reappear after he has a banner game against a weak team, I get it he retired TB12 with that performance against the 8-9 Bucs heck based on that alone he should get 65million so none of us have to worry about getting to a SB for the foreseeable future

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance isn’t a rookie.

Dallas loves what they see in the kid. He’s fire.

And we got him for a 4th.

If Dak had a successful post season career, we wouldn’t even have this discussion about a Lance.

It’s Daks fault.
what fire? oh, sorry 5 interceptions fire...yeah....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance hasn’t failed anything.

Dak has failed.

He can’t win playoff games.

That’s why Jerry is going to replace him with Trey Lance.
Lance can't even stay on one team or get on the field. yet he is successful. that's a new definition of success

I am not opposed to having Lance start. I actually support it. then we end up with a top 5 pick...that's a great strategy

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry's an optimist. He's what I would call a Detrimental Optimist. He only saw the good w/ Lance, guaranteed. Jerry's thought is that Lance played well enough to take over when Dak walks.

Honestly, I don't think we have a choice w/ Dak anymore. We have zero team control after this year. We can't pay him huge if we want to win, so Jerry simply convinces himself that Lance is ready.
Jerry is not an optomist one way or other. Jerry is a business man. he is always looking for opportunities to save money, make more cash and increase team value. football is secondary to Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

But there's this: Dak and his agent have SHREDED Jones and the front office in past negotiations and left the team castrated in it's financial options.

I don't think Jones likes that one bit, and I don't think logic will let that continue with another extension. The team will eat a massive dead contract hit and move on.

Dak is outstanding. A top tier QB. But he is absolutely not worth $60mil per year, and I suspect this will be the last year for Prescott. I'll root for him through the season! As a business man Prescott did incredibly well and I expect him to get a big fat contract next offseason...from someone else.

It just makes the most sense for the Cowboys to move on. Dak is borderline greatness, but his ceiling just isn't high enough for this to continue. DP isn't top four--especially against high level opponents-- and he's only going to diminish moving forward.
Dak and his agent didn't. they can ask. its up to jerry to get contracts done the right way and manage the overall team budget. he doesn't do a good job. he corners himself continuosly. he left himself with minimal options, he made a bet he is losing, he has no QBs on the roster for 2025, he has a mess of a team in 2024, so he can't even look ahead. he could have redone the contract with Lamb like he did with Diggs, but he waited. he waited until Jefferson got a contract, which he knew was going to be large, so Jefferson set the baseline for Lamb. now, he is doing the same with Parsons.

and I don't take player market value with building a team. so you say he is not worth 60M. would you be ok with 55? and would 5M mean the difference between a championship team and not a championship team? to say Jerry and company haven't managed player negotiations and contracts and the cap is a huge under statement.

btw, I am not advocating to give Dak a contract or no contract. its just that its all mismanaged badly.

Flamma

Reaction score
Lance play in preseason has no impact on whether or not Dak gets signed. That's been predetermined before Lance took the field. Any GM that would consider preseason play by a QB to determine whether or not they resigned their franchise QB would have to be under 12 years old. I don't know of any GM that is that young or stupid.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
What is “stupid” is giving the example of one player who was able to do something extraordinary once and ignoring the multitudes of other years he could not and ignoring the other QBs who could not do it for years and years and years and…..
Why? By your logic, that is the only criteria that determines whether a player can or can't win a SB.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ronnie if anyone has ABD it would be someone like you, you magically disappear when Dak does a choke job and reappear after he has a banner game against a weak team, I get it he retired TB12 with that performance against the 8-9 Bucs heck based on that alone he should get 65million so none of us have to worry about getting to a SB for the foreseeable future
I generally don't even address this sort of puerile nonsense but I will pause here for a moment. I post all the time win or lose. If you missed my posts, and it's apparent you and some of my other stalkers do, it's your loss not mine.. Carry on.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lance play in preseason has no impact on whether or not Dak gets signed. That's been predetermined before Lance took the field. Any GM that would consider preseason play by a QB to determine whether or not they resigned their franchise QB would have to be under 12 years old. I don't know of any GM that is that young or stupid.
You do realize that our GM cut Tony Banks after Quincy Carter lit up some future grocery clerks in the 4th quarter of a preseason game right?

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I'm sure I mentioned it before but my major in college was Economics. The first law of Economics is fair market value is determined by what a person is willing to pay for something. So whether we like or acknowledge it or not, Dak is worth whatever the market says he is worth. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the numbers on the surface of the contracts.. I only concern myself with how the deals are structured vis a vis cap hits, flexibility, guaranteed money etc. The annual numbers and the total value are gonna be what they gonna be. At this point the numbers are all ridiculous so I am numb to them. Just make it so my team can compete.. Screw saving Jerry money.. He got plenty.