Let's be honest. Lance's play is better for Dak's contract demands than anything Dak could have done

erod

Reaction score
Obviously we don't know for certain what the Cowboys' real plan for Lance was in terms of their future. My take has always been they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle a third time getting a franchise QB for next to nothing. Lance showed some things in this preseason but IMHO the thing he showed most was that he aint an NFL ready QB and that the Cowboys best chance of winning games this season is with Dak Prescott. Now as for what they thought of his performance in the context of beyond this year I can't say. But he would have had to have seriously lit it up this preseason for the Cowboys to have even seen him as a possible 2025 starter, let alone 2024.
Not in the least. Lance was never a threat to Dak right now. He's a LONG way from ready, and probably never will be.

They seem to be willing to let Dak play it out, and that's the right move. I'm quite happy with that approach if they stick with it. But who know what this 28-year dumpster fire will do?

Chasing6

Reaction score
His age.

Lance is one year older than Daniels and the same age as Penix and Nix.

Lance really only had a brief time where he was getting all the reps as the number one in SF. It sure hasn't been four years of reps. If he got more reps he would improve. And with his age he could be a future option, especially if he could be resigned on the cheap.
So his age has developed.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The Cowboys beat 3 playoff teams last year in the Eagles, Lions and Rams. Which one of those should we not count? They also beat Seattle, a team that WOULD have been in the playoffs if not for losing to Dallas, while the defense was giving up 35 points. Wonder who "carried" the Cowboys in that one. Or how about the QB who threw for 345 yards and 2 TDs while the run game was churning out a robust 61 yards! Whow as that guy? Point is.. people who don't like a player can always come up with nebulous criteria or cherry pick particular stats or games to justify their dislike. The fact of the matter is Dak is a very good quarterback. He is not the best, nor is he even a great quarterback. He needs more help than Mahomes.. Newsflash.. every QB in the league needs more help than Mahomes.. that dude is different.
Beating the Iggles is no longer a mark it on the calendar game for us, and we got lucky to beat the Lions. 8 years and an awful playoff record is the furthest thing from cherry-picking the playoff record of a franchise QB. I have never argued Dak stinks, and have admitted he is a very good QB..however, I have seen what I have seen over 8 years to know there is nothing to think times will change

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Beating the Iggles is no longer a mark it on the calendar game for us, and we got lucky to beat the Lions. 8 years and an awful playoff record is the furthest thing from cherry-picking the playoff record of a franchise QB. I have never argued Dak stinks, and have admitted he is a very good QB..however, I have seen what I have seen over 8 years to know there is nothing to think times will change
Fine.. all I know is that if you look across the league it has been shown time and again that it's easier to build a good team than it is to find a QB like Mahomes or Rodgers or someone on that level. I am much more comfortable trying to build a team like the '07 and '11 Giants or the '12 Seahawks or '14 Broncos... Or even any of the Niners good teams over the past 5 seasons. Teams with a strong run game and a stifling defense and an efficient albeit not transcendent QB. I think we can attain that easier than we can find a better QB than Dak Prescott. I know people are out there claiming there are like 25 or 30 such QBs out there to be had.. but those people are mostly idiots.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys beat 3 playoff teams last year in the Eagles, Lions and Rams. Which one of those should we not count? They also beat Seattle, a team that WOULD have been in the playoffs if not for losing to Dallas, while the defense was giving up 35 points. Wonder who "carried" the Cowboys in that one. Or how about the QB who threw for 345 yards and 2 TDs while the run game was churning out a robust 61 yards! Whow as that guy? Point is.. people who don't like a player can always come up with nebulous criteria or cherry pick particular stats or games to justify their dislike. The fact of the matter is Dak is a very good quarterback. He is not the best, nor is he even a great quarterback. He needs more help than Mahomes.. Newsflash.. every QB in the league needs more help than Mahomes.. that dude is different.
The eagles were in a free fall and the lions idiot coach gave us the win and we still couldn't do anything with it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The eagles were in a free fall and the lions idiot coach gave us the win and we still couldn't do anything with it.
Is that like when our idiot coach gave Miami the win by trying to hand it off to a rookie FB at the 2 yard line? I could not have made my point any clearer than you did.. . the only game that "counts" against the Eagles was the one we lost. Dak's 350 yards against the Lions with virtually no run game support doesn't "count" because their coach went for the win instead of the tie and tried to get cute doing it. Newsflash.. all of those things "count" as do all the games. I have no use for playing the dismissing wins and only counting losses game. They all count 1/17th to me. `They are all 1/17th of the formula that gets you to the playoffs. Now we can spend an eternity discussing how poorly the team played in that playoff game.. but you strike me as someone who only noticed Dak having a bad game.. The defense was lights out right? And by lights out I mean they slept through most of the game.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Fine.. all I know is that if you look across the league it has been shown time and again that it's easier to build a good team than it is to find a QB like Mahomes or Rodgers or someone on that level. I am much more comfortable trying to build a team like the '07 and '11 Giants or the '12 Seahawks or '14 Broncos... Or even any of the Niners good teams over the past 5 seasons. Teams with a strong run game and a stifling defense and an efficient albeit not transcendent QB. I think we can attain that easier than we can find a better QB than Dak Prescott. I know people are out there claiming there are like 25 or 30 such QBs out there to be had.. but those people are mostly idiots.
You are 100% correct. It is extremely difficult to find a Mahommes and a vast majority of the "NEXT ones", amount to nothing flattering. We all know that a team strong in coaching, O, D and ownership is what makes a team successful. If this team was in a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl I would stand up and say SIGN DAK, no matter what. The reality is the current state of ownership, RB, WR, CB, HC....and on. With the impressive talent on the horizon growing on this team I simply don't find sinking the kind of money into a 31 year old QB as something we should, but that we are likely going to do

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You are 100% correct. It is extremely difficult to find a Mahommes and a vast majority of the "NEXT ones", amount to nothing flattering. We all know that a team strong in coaching, O, D and ownership is what makes a team successful. If this team was in a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl I would stand up and say SIGN DAK, no matter what. The reality is the current state of ownership, RB, WR, CB, HC....and on. With the impressive talent on the horizon growing on this team I simply don't find sinking the kind of money into a 31 year old QB as something we should, but that we are likely going to do
Maybe not.. but I feel pretty sure the money will be paid to Dak.. and as long as he structures the deal to allow cap flexibility, I won't mind it one bit. The market has spoken as to what a QB on his level is worth. Whether fans agree with it or not really doesn't matter. This is the "business" part of the business and it's just how the cookie crumbles. If people really don't like it and want change then millions of us need to stop watching the Cowboys, buying the swag and going to the games. I'm not willing to give up the last two but that first one? Not on your life.. What about you?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Is that like when our idiot coach gave Miami the win by trying to hand it off to a rookie FB at the 2 yard line? I could not have made my point any clearer than you did.. . the only game that "counts" against the Eagles was the one we lost. Dak's 350 yards against the Lions with virtually no run game support doesn't "count" because their coach went for the win instead of the tie and tried to get cute doing it. Newsflash.. all of those things "count" as do all the games. I have no use for playing the dismissing wins and only counting losses game. They all count 1/17th to me. `They are all 1/17th of the formula that gets you to the playoffs. Now we can spend an eternity discussing how poorly the team played in that playoff game.. but you strike me as someone who only noticed Dak having a bad game.. The defense was lights out right? And by lights out I mean they slept through most of the game.
The whole team sucked in that playoff game from the coaches on down. That includes the offense and the defense. When the team is struggling the qb should be a leader that keeps you in a game. Instead he was having panic attacks and fighting with his #1receiver. I've seen that look on Daks face too often to think it's going to change.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The whole team sucked in that playoff game from the coaches on down. That includes the offense and the defense. When the team is struggling the qb should be a leader that keeps you in a game. Instead he was having panic attacks and fighting with his #1receiver. I've seen that look on Daks face too often to think it's going to change.
I am in full agreement that I want Dak to be more of the vocal leader when the S is hittin the fan on the field. I have been openly critical of his heading over to the sideline trying to maintain his cool in those moments. I would really like to see him lose it every now and then. But the CD temper tantrum was on CD not on Dak IMHO. Rumor around DFW was that Lamb was out partying the night before the game and had a booth reserved at one of the clubs the night after the game. I don't know if it was true but I do know he dropped the first two passes that came his way in that game. Both of which would have resulted in a first down and kept the chains moving. And the one slant he dropped was one missed tackle or bad angle from being a house call. Dak was really the only thing working on the offense.. remember his 20-something yard scramble was our only first down early on. Bottom line is that if Lamb catches those first two passes and the offense keeps the ball a little longer and either punches it in or kicks a FG we might have seen a very different game. Maybe the defense pulls its collective head out and gets some stops instead of bending over for the Packers' offense. What was it? TDs on 6 of the first 7 drives? 4 of which was 75+ yard drives. And we mad at the QB? I can't.

visionary

Reaction score
This is stupid every time someone says it.

The inability to separate "hasn't" from "can't" is crazy.

Could Matt Stafford do it?
What is “stupid” is giving the example of one player who was able to do something extraordinary once and ignoring the multitudes of other years he could not and ignoring the other QBs who could not do it for years and years and years and…..

Could Dak do it? Of course it is possible
Is it a realistic possibility ? Not on your life

The only way Dak has a realistic chance of sniffing a SB would be with a top 2 run game and a top 2 defense and you cant do this if you pay a good QB elite money

You dont give someone 60+ million per year because miracles can happen. That is “stupid”

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Maybe not.. but I feel pretty sure the money will be paid to Dak.. and as long as he structures the deal to allow cap flexibility, I won't mind it one bit. The market has spoken as to what a QB on his level is worth. Whether fans agree with it or not really doesn't matter. This is the "business" part of the business and it's just how the cookie crumbles. If people really don't like it and want change then millions of us need to stop watching the Cowboys, buying the swag and going to the games. I'm not willing to give up the last two but that first one? Not on your life.. What about you?
I don't buy lots of swag, mainly due to living in Canada and there isn't much up here to buy. I also vow to not support Jerry as long as he is running this franchise down. As I have said before a lot of my angst for players/coaches on this team are a result of my distaste for the Jones'

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I mean saying he sucked at linebacker is one thing but he surely didn't play like Jaylin did lol.
His strengths were the same as Jaylens at linebacker and everything else was pure projection.

A kid in highschool can have the same skill set as a pro QB.

Learn the difference.

Again I was right.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Still think Dak's deal gets done before the season starts. Jerruh loves keeping Dallas as a focal sports talking point across the nation and will drag this out until the end. Dak isn't holding out, so Jerruh can really make it a last minute thing.

As for Lance, I think the OP has some good points. Obviously, there is no lightning in a bottle scenario with Lance. More like very dangerous Ozempic laced farts into a headwind.

Chasing6

Reaction score
His young age gives Lance the opportunity to develop. Like I listed he is in the same age group as three of the QBs taken in the 1st round in this years draft.
Unfulfilled opportunity sitting on the bench.