Let's be honest. Lance's play is better for Dak's contract demands than anything Dak could have done

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Sorry, but this is a ridiculous comment. :rolleyes: Lance’s preseason performances have absolutely no bearing on how much the Cowboys can afford to pay Dak.

Let's be honest. Lance's play is better for Dak's contract demands than anything Dak could have done.​

We can agree to disagree but I was being tongue in cheek anyway. Also I wasn't talking about what they can afford.. only what they are/were willing to pay. If Lance had a 125 passer rating with 7 TDs and no turnovers in his preseason stint you know damn well Jerry would be pushing for him to start week one at Cleveland. At the very least he would be more willing to let Dak play this thing out if he thought he had the next big thing waiting in the wings. But seeing that he ended up with barely a top 20 PRESEASON QB I think Jerry saw the light and will sign Dak next week. Or he might enjoy the drama and attention having it up in the air (and leading every talking head show in the country) for 4-5 more weeks and drag it out. Nobody loves media attention more than Jerry. Good bad or indifferent.. if they're talkin about the Cowboys Jerry's makin money.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not quite. Haley had to get in Jerry's face after an 0-2 start. Plus, Emmitt wasn't holding out. He didn't have a contract at the time. Jerry very nearly derailed the dynasty in 1993 with this stupidity. He finally succeeded in derailing it the following season when he fired Jimmy.
(In bold ^^^): Not true. Doesn't matter what Emmitt keeps saying. He was under contract on a rookie contract from 1990 - 1993.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/13657/emmitt-smith

Cowboys Pay Big for Smith : Pro Football: After two losses, Dallas finaly gives running back what he wanted: ‘Thurman Thomas money.’ - Sept. 17, 1993 12 AM PT:​

“I was underpaid the first three years,” Emmitt Smith said in a recent telephone interview. “Now it’s time for me to be paid what I’m worth.”

Smith had the option to sit out the 1993 season and become a restricted free agent next year. (But he was still legally under his rookie contract to start the 1993 season. Would have been his 4th year out of his 4 year rookie contract.)

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-09-17-sp-35939-story.html

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
what stat is Lamb ranked #2 in at WR that you could look at last years stats and say Dak is ranked 10-12....make that make sense please...
"Lamb is #2 baased on last years stats"
"Dak is ranked 10-12 based on last years stats"
How does this work?
You guys look to much into stats when discussing players..Patty isn't the highest paid QB in the NFL but is there any doubt he is the best? I don't even care if his stats show that he is, there is no world where he isn't QB1 in the NFL. Lamb isn't far from 1 but right now JJ is in that spot and you will find very few objective fans of the sport who disagree

Loso86

Reaction score
Obviously we don't know for certain what the Cowboys' real plan for Lance was in terms of their future. My take has always been they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle a third time getting a franchise QB for next to nothing. Lance showed some things in this preseason but IMHO the thing he showed most was that he aint an NFL ready QB and that the Cowboys best chance of winning games this season is with Dak Prescott. Now as for what they thought of his performance in the context of beyond this year I can't say. But he would have had to have seriously lit it up this preseason for the Cowboys to have even seen him as a possible 2025 starter, let alone 2024.
Yea because being runner up MVP says NOTHING

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
QB pay scale is much different than receiver payscale though. There's a "next man up" thing going on with quarterback salaries right now. Does he deserve to be paid more than Trevor Lawrence and Tua? Some would say yes.
Using those 2 as an example, I would say yes and with no argument from me. The Jags are paying their QB for what they still hope he develops into, and Tua I wouldn't want as my lunch monitor

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree but I was being tongue in cheek anyway. Also I wasn't talking about what they can afford.. only what they are/were willing to pay. If Lance had a 125 passer rating with 7 TDs and no turnovers in his preseason stint you know damn well Jerry would be pushing for him to start week one at Cleveland. At the very least he would be more willing to let Dak play this thing out if he thought he had the next big thing waiting in the wings. But seeing that he ended up with barely a top 20 PRESEASON QB I think Jerry saw the light and will sign Dak next week. Or he might enjoy the drama and attention having it up in the air (and leading every talking head show in the country) for 4-5 more weeks and drag it out. Nobody loves media attention more than Jerry. Good bad or indifferent.. if they're talkin about the Cowboys Jerry's makin money.
What they’re willing to pay is pretty much what they can afford, to try and do the other contracts. Trey Lance is competing with Cooper Rush. Even before training camp started Nick Eatman reported Lance wasn’t looking that good in OTA’s. No way was Jerry going to make a decision on Dak based on how Trey Lance performed against backups in preseason. Even had he played great and all three games. No way was Jerry going to push for him to start?Even had he played great in all three games, no way was Jerry going to push for him to start. We’ll just agree to disagree. I don’t want to spend a lot of time on this.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Trey Lance was never a bargaining chip. He's a developmental prospect that may or may not flourish. He's the guy you bring in just in case you can't get something done with the guy in place, which appears to be the case. If Dak walks, it's because he's asking for too much. Pretty simple.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
You lost all credibility after this comment brother. ^^^
Right now in numerous polls, this is where he is ranked like it or not. Do I agree with it? I am mixed on my thoughts because of the obvious reasons I am critical of him as a QB in games that count and there is enough attention and eyes on him because of this. I cannot and will not change my views on the guy until he plays top 5 against top teams, in games that count. I don't need to have credibility as a fan but do want my QB to perform in the trenches when it counts. All the fluff/stats and glory about yards/td's, etc, are meaningless to me and I will sleep at night having this stance

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Right now in numerous polls, this is where he is ranked like it or not. Do I agree with it? I am mixed on my thoughts because of the obvious reasons I am critical of him as a QB in games that count and there is enough attention and eyes on him because of this. I cannot and will not change my views on the guy until he plays top 5 against top teams, in games that count. I don't need to have credibility as a fan but do want my QB to perform in the trenches when it counts. All the fluff/stats and glory about yards/td's, etc, are meaningless to me and I will sleep at night having this stance
Fair enough.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.. Which games DON'T count?

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.. Which games DON'T count?
When measuring the success of a QB, putting up numbers against the weaker brethren do not count when determining if this player is top-tier or just good. When the odds are stacked against him and he carries a team on his back is how I measure success. Same story for 8 years already. the problem is that we don't have next in line on this team

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The poor saps in the Anti-Dak Cult are already nervous as hell nowadays.

Why add fuel to the fire? This is just mean.
It’s not anti Dak to acknowledge we can’t pay him and win a title.

It’s called not being a football idiot.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You guys look to much into stats when discussing players..Patty isn't the highest paid QB in the NFL but is there any doubt he is the best? I don't even care if his stats show that he is, there is no world where he isn't QB1 in the NFL. Lamb isn't far from 1 but right now JJ is in that spot and you will find very few objective fans of the sport who disagree
The stat dorks are nauseating.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You guys just pick and choose when you use stats.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
When measuring the success of a QB, putting up numbers against the weaker brethren do not count when determining if this player is top-tier or just good. When the odds are stacked against him and he carries a team on his back is how I measure success. Same story for 8 years already. the problem is that we don't have next in line on this team
The Cowboys beat 3 playoff teams last year in the Eagles, Lions and Rams. Which one of those should we not count? They also beat Seattle, a team that WOULD have been in the playoffs if not for losing to Dallas, while the defense was giving up 35 points. Wonder who "carried" the Cowboys in that one. Or how about the QB who threw for 345 yards and 2 TDs while the run game was churning out a robust 61 yards! Whow as that guy? Point is.. people who don't like a player can always come up with nebulous criteria or cherry pick particular stats or games to justify their dislike. The fact of the matter is Dak is a very good quarterback. He is not the best, nor is he even a great quarterback. He needs more help than Mahomes.. Newsflash.. every QB in the league needs more help than Mahomes.. that dude is different.

shabazz

Reaction score
Obviously we don't know for certain what the Cowboys' real plan for Lance was in terms of their future. My take has always been they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle a third time getting a franchise QB for next to nothing. Lance showed some things in this preseason but IMHO the thing he showed most was that he aint an NFL ready QB and that the Cowboys best chance of winning games this season is with Dak Prescott. Now as for what they thought of his performance in the context of beyond this year I can't say. But he would have had to have seriously lit it up this preseason for the Cowboys to have even seen him as a possible 2025 starter, let alone 2024.
I didn't think he was gonna be our future starter when he was signed and I still don't see it......but Rayne Dakota at 60 million a year ain't gonna work here either.

I'd trade all 3 for Bo Nix......and throw in a used magnum