Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And knowing what we know now Torrence wasn't going to be the pick. There literally wasn't OL they had rated about Schoon. But for some reason most in here continuously say we should have gone OL.
Yeah oline player debate was in the first between Mazi and the OT from syracuse Bergeron SP?

visionary

Reaction score
You'd think fans would have learned by now not to judge any drafted player before year 2-3, not even a first rounder.
Even if he never beats out Ferguson, that doesn't mean it was a bad pick. IF he continues to progress, maybe next year we go with more 2 TE - 2 WR sets since we can't seem to find or afford a decent #3 anyway. Then the run game should improve and Dak will have 2 big targets in the seams. Most teams struggle to find one guy who can cover a TE, much less 2.
Exactly
Nothing wrong with 2 really really good TEs

AKATheRake

Reaction score
If he stays healthy, the kid is going to be good.

This team is not showing all their offensive packages and looks right now.

When we need to start running the ball more and need some bigger targets in the red zone watch the 12 package come out more.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
McCarthy always wants multiple TE's for his offense which is why they picked Schoonmaker. We can debate whether or not he was worth a second round pick. But we cannot deny that he is playing more and is playing better; which is what really matters.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Cowboys prioritized and he was drafted for immediate impact blocking and special teams. He has done that.

He was higher on their board than OL or LB. I know fans who don't like the pick overlook that simple fact a lot.
Doesn't that just indicate they had a bad board?

I doubt that most other teams had him rated higher than other players available. It just felt very forced no matter how you look at or they try to justify it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

He needs to show some signs of life as receiver before the playoffs. We have to keep the defense honest and this point he is not a threat.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lamb, Cooks, Ferg, and Pollard are all clearly ahead of Turpin, Schoonmaker, and Gallup. There are only about 30 completions in a game. You start by taking out Lamb's 8+ catches and going from there. 4+ for Cooks Ferg Pollard Dowldle.

Schoonmaker getting at most a few catches makes sense.

I get why some people do not like the pick. I do not agree with them because the gap scheme guard they wanted couldn't trap, pull, and stretch like we do our guys but I get it.

People claiming he is a bust are just ignorant.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The 2 touchdowns never happened.
7 catches in 12 games for 61 yards. .6 catches a game averaging 5 yards per game, with multiple drops. The talent is there, but we need to see more of it before the playoffs this season.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And knowing what we know now Torrence wasn't going to be the pick. There literally wasn't OL they had rated about Schoon. But for some reason most in here continuously say we should have gone OL.
Which doesn't change the fact they made a mistake. They should have gone offensive line.

Torrence as of this week

817 snaps
6 penalties
1 sack

Motorola

Reaction score
And Yet, McKeon isn't playing above him, and the stats provided show he's 10th in pass blocking grade and 4th run blocking grade.

How do 50 others not grade as well and yet offer the same production? This makes Zero sense

Look, he's a rook who misses most of training camp, and as you pointed out earlier came from a run oriented offense.

He's not been nearly as bad as most people think, and wasn't a waste of that pick.

People just have unrealistic expectations of some positions as it relates to draft selection.
Along with his former Wolverine teammate Mazi Smith.

plymkr

Reaction score
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

I’m not going to lie I bagged on Schoonmaker. I didn’t like the pick. But he and Ferguson are coming along nicely. Our TE room is playing significantly better than pre-bye. Totally different and it makes us a better team.

I have no idea what these guys did over the bye but offensively we are completely different and better.

rambo2

Reaction score
7 catches in 12 games for 61 yards. .6 catches a game averaging 5 yards per game, with multiple drops. The talent is there, but we need to see more of it before the playoffs this season.
It wouldn't surprise me if he got a couple of more tds.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Just looking at Schoon play over the last couple of games, I can see he's more comfortable. Now is the time of year the rookies start to take a step forward. Hopefully, Schoon continues to improve to the point where 12 personnel is a problem for Defenses trying to matchup with him n Fergy.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Could have just rolled with Hendershot and used that 2nd rounder on another need. Yeah he ended up getting hurt but I believe there is marginal difference between them. Schoonmaker might be a slightly better blocker but Hendershot is a better receiving threat.

If we are stashing a 2nd round skill position player, I'd rather it have been a WR for the future if Cooks/Gallup are not here. Marvin Mims and Tank Dell would have been available :(

kumizi

Reaction score
Oh wow he’s been mediocre since week 9 after being *** for the first half of the season.

Check mate. Definitely worth a 2nd rd pick on the #2 TE

Gambit

Reaction score
Yeah oline player debate was in the first between Mazi and the OT from syracuse Bergeron SP?
And after that who really knows what OL they liked. We know Torrence wasn't one. Juice Scruggs only other OL in 2nd to go after us, he's played a whopping 48 snaps.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I wanted O'C in the 2nd and Darnell Washington in the 3rd. If we wanted a blocking TE Washington is basically a Tackle from 80's.

I think this combo would have helped our running game.