Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

mardwin

Reaction score
Don't care. Still not worth a 2nd at this point.
I agree, this franchise is notoriously bad at wasting premium picks at pet projects. No way he was going to be drafted in round 2/3 by any other franchise than Dallas.

Desperado

Reaction score
any rookie getting meaningful snaps on a stacked team is a good thing. Hopefully he continues to develop. There was an article a couple of years ago that said only about 24 players from each draft class (all rounds) develop into a good career in the NFL (meaning multiple contracts). We will find out in a few years if he is one of the 24 or so from this class. In the meantime, we are getting snaps from a rookie, and that is good.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

Indeed my friend, we live in a NOW society that can not see the forest because of all the trees.
Schoon was a very wise and solid addition to this team, and Dak has two big targets now in Schoon and Ferg.
The dance is starting soon, and we got two really good bookends at TE.
The Big Tuna would be salivating.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think the only other player they might have taken in that spot would have been Florida OG OCyrus Torrence who went a pick or so later....or maybe a few third rounders like Drew Sanders or Jaylin Hyatt.

Frankly if they did not take Schoon there I would not have been shocked if they would have taken Overshown who they took in the third. Word is they were high on him so it would not have been a shocker
We could’ve had Tank Dell or Achane. Instead, we took a TE getting MAYBE 5 snaps per.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Put aside the draft pick and let's look at the player. Remember, he missed almost the entire preseason and that is a big deal for a rookie. From what I have seen, he has been improving. He was open last night deep down the middle but Dak didn't see him and threw to the left sideline instead. Had Dak hit him it would have been a TD. Look at Schultz's numbers for his rookie year, and his second year. Schoonmaker has 2 TDs to Schultz's 0. Schoonmaker has 14 targets this year and 7 have come in the last 5 games. He has 5 receptions on those 7 targets.

I don't know what he will be in a year or two, but he is improving. With Ferguson playing the way he has, Schoonmaker is going to get limited opportunities.
TD IF Skoon doesn’t drop it.

pitt33

Reaction score
This is what the Cowboys do with most 2nd round picks.

They reach.

Or just flat out chose the wrong player.

History has a way of repeating itself.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just going by odds, it's highly unlikely that both Mazi and Schoonmaker become solid starters/Pro Bowl players. Best-case is that 1 of them pans out but it depends on what your definition of "pans out" is. Schoonmaker will have a long career, probably with multiple teams...I just don't see him being anything more than a blocking TE. See Geoff Swaim for reference (who was a 7th rounder by the way).

But Mazi...that's a guy who might be a complete bust!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hate our first 2 picks. Bad value.
I didn’t have a problem with the positions if we picked the right players. I wouldn’t have picked a DT with what was left and the same at TE. Both have been the worst two picks I can remember in a while.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He is a good player. He gives them a great 1, 2 punch at tight end.
And he works well next to Steele! Gets off the line and open well. I'm not confounded by numbers like 2 or even 28.

Also, some fans strictly hero worship and have little clue on player development the first 3 seasons. Hell, look at the Dallas secondary coach.

rambo2

Reaction score
The pick would look fine if he was a late round pick. No one would be complaining if that was the case.
Of course since he obviously wouldn't be available in the late rounds.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He's not a receiving TE at all. The fact that he isn't is why he isn't worth the pick.

Investing resources into a blocking TE is dumb.

Just going by odds, it's highly unlikely that both Mazi and Schoonmaker become solid starters/Pro Bowl players. Best-case is that 1 of them pans out but it depends on what your definition of "pans out" is. Schoonmaker will have a long career, probably with multiple teams...I just don't see him being anything more than a blocking TE. See Geoff Swaim for reference (who was a 7th rounder by the way).

But Mazi...that's a guy who might be a complete bust!

:facepalm:

CCBoy

Reaction score
We could’ve had Tank Dell or Achane. Instead, we took a TE getting MAYBE 5 snaps per.
Do you have an idea of just how many years Bill Parcells worked to get a pair of tight ends that Dallas now possesses? Many and investing along the way as well.