Let's try to do a process of elimination for positions in rd 1

baltcowboy

Reaction score
None of the tackles look as solid as Tyler..there's no Tyron Smith in this draft.
True but the Tennessee kid and the big Ohio state tackle have really good traits to be good tackles. I would rather have those two over Torrence, Avila and the Minnesota center. Tackle is the second most important position in football.

cnuball21

Reaction score
None of the tackles look as solid as Tyler..there's no Tyron Smith in this draft.
Tyler was a consensus 2nd round prospect and played like it as a rookie.

We could very easily get similar play out of a 1st or 2nd round pick at RT and potentially get cheap at the position.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Tyler is definitely this team LT of the future. And Steele is probably their RT. Maybe they look for an interior lineman at some point. Schmitz is my fav, but you would have to take him in round 1.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A guard only starts day 1 if there is an injury. Steele appears ahead of schedule and Tyron is going to start at LT. You may not like it, but that's what they are going to do.
I would say there is a 20% chance that both Steele and Tyron start the first game. Tyron will be hurt before the season even starts. If not, shortly after. Hes a shell anyway.

Best thing for this team is to treat Tyron as a swing player and draft a stud guard at 1. Let Steele get completely healthy into the season.

reddyuta

Reaction score
so many assumptions in this thread starting with Tyler being the LG.until we get an official conformation he is still our future LT.the previous drafts have taught us the NFL knows whom we covet,teams will jump over us all the time .i would not get attached to one position,thankfully the cowboys seem to follow their board atleast in the first rd.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Drafting a guard in the first round in this draft would be wasting a resource. I would much rather draft a tackle and just move Tyler inside permanently. These guards are not Zach or the Colts guard. The best guards are second round prospects.
A tackle would be great too. Either way. But at 26 your probably not going to get a great one where as at guard you can get one of the best.

cnuball21

Reaction score
A 1st round guard would certainly start. You don't draft a guard in the 1st round and not start him.
So a rookie 1st round G would start over the 1st round G you drafted last year?

I’m lost…

baltcowboy

Reaction score
A tackle would be great too. Either way. But at 26 your probably not going to get a great one where as at guard you can get one of the best.
The Cowboys like Avila and he will probably be in consideration at 26. I just think they will get the guard in the second round. I also think guard is a priority.

rambo2

Reaction score
So a rookie 1st round G would start over the 1st round G you drafted last year?

I’m lost…
You are lost. They drafted a tackle last year that could also play guard. It is very simple. Read slowly. If they draft a 1st round guard, he will start at Left guard and Tyler Smith will start at Left Tackle. Key word is IF. If they did that Tyron would be the swing tackle. He could fill in at right tackle if Steele isn't ready to start the season just like he did last year.

The deal is they aren't going to draft a guard in the first round and not play him. They have a lot of options with their 1st pick. Guard is one of the options.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You are lost. They drafted a tackle last year that could also play guard. It is very simple. Read slowly. If they draft a 1st round guard, he will start at Left guard and Tyler Smith will start at Left Tackle. Key word is IF. If they did that Tyron would be the swing tackle. He could fill in at right tackle if Steele isn't ready to start the season just like he did last year.

The deal is they aren't going to draft a guard in the first round and not play him. They have a lot of options with their 1st pick. Guard is one of the options.
The plan last year was for Tyron to play LT and Tyler to play LG.

They didn’t keep Tyron around and pay him millions to be a backup.

Read slowly? Cmon…

RS12

Reaction score
True but the Tennessee kid and the big Ohio state tackle have really good traits to be good tackles. I would rather have those two over Torrence, Avila and the Minnesota center. Tackle is the second most important position in football.
Zero chance Paris Johnson makes it 26. Allowed one pressure in one thousand snaps. He won't make it out of top 10.

rambo2

Reaction score

Read slowly? Cmon…
Do you really believe that they would draft a guard in the 1st round and not play him?

reddyuta

Reaction score

Read slowly? Cmon…
you are wrong.Tyler is our future at LT,that was made clear when they drafted him,its just that there was an opening at LG..I hope they keep him at LT.Tyron is probably here for 1 more year and he should be the swing tackle or Rt if Steele cant go.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Do you really believe that they would draft a guard in the 1st round and not play him?
Do you really believe they’d draft a G in round 1 and play him over Tyron or Tyler?

If the plan is the same as last year the answer is no and they probably aren’t drafting a G in round 1.

cnuball21

Reaction score
you are wrong.Tyler is our future at LT,that was made clear when they drafted him,its just that there was an opening at LG..I hope they keep him at LT.Tyron is probably here for 1 more year and he should be the swing tackle or Rt if Steele cant go.
Maybe…but that wasn’t the plan last year. He played LT due to injury to Tyron.

rambo2

Reaction score
Do you really believe they’d draft a G in round 1 and play him over Tyron or Tyler?

If the plan is the same as last year the answer is no and they probably aren’t drafting a G in round 1.
You can't have a plan until after the draft and Tyler and the 1st round guard would play. Like I have said numerous times. A first round guard would play and Tyron would be a swing tackle. It is very simple.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You can't have a plan until after the draft and Tyler and the 1st round guard would play. Like I have said numerous times. A first round guard would play and Tyron would be a swing tackle. It is very simple.
It is very simple…Tyron is the best OT on the team and Tyler is better than any G coming out of the draft.

Tyron being a backup would about as dumb as Zeke being the starting RB last year.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
QB-HC and front office still believe in their QB, probably will take a day 3 flyer on another one.
RB-Robinson is a potential superstar, but it's high unlikely a top 10 talent falls to 26
WR-JSN would be terrific with Lamb/Cooks, but probably is the 1st receiver drafted.
TE-Mayer/Kincaid/Washington/Mustgrave-they haven't taken a 1st rd TE since the 90's, have had success with 4th rd TE's
OL-Schmitz, Torrence, Avilia, Harrison-cannot see the team redshirting a 1st rd pick, only starts if injury occurs
NT-Smith/Ika-they haven't drafted a NT higher then day 3 in decades. Must have pass rush abilities to be considered
Edge-McDonald-DLaw's contract has to come off their books, Fowler/Armstrong are fa's after the season
Linebacker-Sanders-Lve just has a 2 yr contract, Clark and several other low level prospects behind him.
Corner-Banks/Forbes/Ringo-both Diggs/Gilmore are fa's in 2024
Safety-Branch-Hooker/Kearse are fa's in 2024
I don’t understand why people say drafting a offensive guard in the first round which sit on the bench I don’t understand it. That would free up putting people in better places such as Tyrone Smith being You’re right tackle till Steele returned and Tyrone is your back up swing tackle. And he has shown you’ll do what’s best for the team and not expect to be a progress stopper.