Let's try to do a process of elimination for positions in rd 1

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They haven't use a 1st rd pick on the TE position for over 30 years. I think with the success of Shultz, they feel they can draft another in day 3. Excellent year needing a TE.
25 years

David LaFleur in 1997

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This is you making it be what you want.

A first round guard would start day 1
Drafting a guard in the first round in this draft would be wasting a resource. I would much rather draft a tackle and just move Tyler inside permanently. These guards are not Zach or the Colts guard. The best guards are second round prospects.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doubt if Weatherspoon falls
Some number of teams probably won't draft a 5-11, 181 pound CB in the 1st.

I don't know which teams but some teams just won't go that far away from their preferred measurables in the 1st round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Porter and Banks are going to be their top 2 targets. I can see them trading up for either

Something interesting to consider. They only interviewed 2 DT's at the combine. Byron Young (who is probably a 5th round type) and Gervon Dexter. So they could be very high on Dexter. I think he could a wildcard at 26
Dexter scares me. Boom or bust.

rambo2

Reaction score
There will be some war room fights. I could see the Cowboys taking 10 players at pick 26. It’s just to close to call and you don’t know who will drop. My question for the Robinson fans,if BJon is gone why not pick Gibbs at 26. The players are similar.
Gibbs is a possibility, but they like some other backs that they can get in the 3rd round also.

rambo2

Reaction score
Your assuming an injury happens or Steele isn't ready.
I'm assuming that a first round olinemen is going to start. They aren't going to use their 1st round pick on a player that isn't going to play.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Some number of teams probably won't draft a 5-11, 181 pound CB in the 1st.

I don't know which teams but some teams just won't go that far away from their preferred measurables in the 1st round.
Maybe so, but corners usually get overdrafted due to need.

rambo2

Reaction score
One possible draft plan would be Schmitz then grab and stash Vorhees.

Gives us the guard for this year in Schmitz who can slide over and replace Bidass next year and Vorhees can then lock down LG spot. Doubt they are thinking that way though.
They could very well do this. I could see them taking Vorhees in the 5th round. That does make a lot of sense.

Sydla

Reaction score
He is already moving around well and we are still several months away from starting the season. Unless there is a setback, he is looking good to start out of the gate. Everyone is different, we cannot just assume Steele won't be ready cause of Gallup, they also play to very different positions.
Never assume anything. In this case, not taking an OL because you think Steele might be back by the season start is just silly.

Take the OL is he’s there and one of best players on the board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Never assume anything. In this case, not taking an OL because you think Steele might be back by the season start is just silly.

Take the OL is he’s there and one of best players on the board.
Yes bpa, but if tags are touching probably go in a different direction.They don’t need 1st rd picks across their whole OL, that was Garrettt, MM teams have a history of developing lesser talent

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes bpa, but if tags are touching probably go in a different direction.They don’t need 1st rd picks across their whole OL, that was Garrettt, MM teams have a history of developing lesser talent
They wouldn't, Steele wasn't drafted and Tyler B. was a midround pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They wouldn't, Steele wasn't drafted and Tyler B. was a midround pick.
They already have 3 1st rd starters and are going to pay both Steele and Biaz next offseason. Yes, Tyron comes off the books, but they way too much money tied to one positional group. This is the Jason Garrett type of coaching, need stars across the board to have success. Just need a cohesive group that works together. Still believe they will draft a Guard, just not in the 1st rd again.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Drafting a guard in the first round in this draft would be wasting a resource. I would much rather draft a tackle and just move Tyler inside permanently. These guards are not Zach or the Colts guard. The best guards are second round prospects.
None of the tackles look as solid as Tyler..there's no Tyron Smith in this draft.