Linebacker is shaping up to be a draft priority

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Can’t argue with that. I am grabbing one early for sure. They also need to bring in a vet. There is no way you can count on LVE and the Prancer.
If Lee doesn't return, we need another starter. With Lve poor health, we are going to need another one who can start if needed.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Incredible the difference from 2018.

2018 we were all thinking we're covered at the LB position for the foreseeable future with 2 up and coming stars...now, not so much.

I still think these guys "read their press clippings" and didn't work as hard in the film room - that and they had terrible coaching, Jaylon

thinking he deserved a Pro Bowl selection last year tells me that.
It is incredible how far those 2 have fallen. I still think LVE might have a chance if he can stay healthy. 54 I have no use for. I saw way too much last 2 years to convince me football is not a priority for him.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Dallas wants to make a run then they have to get into free agency more aggressively. Mortgage our future by signing some bigger named players in the secondary. That and DT are the areas we need help. We're not going anywhere otherwise.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We are well aware that Jaylon must have a big rebound season as he isn't playing up to his contract and is a release candidate after the season.

Team needs to decide if they are going to pick up Lve's option for next yr this May. Recently heard it's for over 9 million. With his poor health and declining play, it is looking likely they don't pick up the option.

Joe Thomas recently left via fa. Sean Lee hasn't yet decided if he's going to play next season or not.

With the team moving back to the 4-3, another starter is needed. With Lve's lack of durability, another starter caliber linebacker has to be added for depth. I expect one starter to be signed and a future starter to be drafted. It might be a good idea to spend multiple picks on the positional group as the future is totally uncertain.
how about April 27th is LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG way to be "shaping up LOL FA started 4 days again many pretty good players still out there and for the FO FA started yesterday, i imagine many players added before they make static draft board..

nathanlt

Reaction score
The linebacker talent drops off considerably after JOK and Zaven Collins. Strong Consideration should be given to drafting an LB in round 1. With multiple tradedowns, Dallas can pick up multiple 2nd round picks and still land Zaven Collins. Trading down once to 18, and we might still have a shot at JOK.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The linebacker talent drops off considerably after JOK and Zaven Collins. Strong Consideration should be given to drafting an LB in round 1. With multiple tradedowns, Dallas can pick up multiple 2nd round picks and still land Zaven Collins. Trading down once to 18, and we might still have a shot at JOK.
Id draft JOK and tell lve to take Lee's spot and be quiet. Or him and jaylon can both rotate with each other.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
We are well aware that Jaylon must have a big rebound season as he isn't playing up to his contract and is a release candidate after the season.

Team needs to decide if they are going to pick up Lve's option for next yr this May. Recently heard it's for over 9 million. With his poor health and declining play, it is looking likely they don't pick up the option.

Joe Thomas recently left via fa. Sean Lee hasn't yet decided if he's going to play next season or not.

With the team moving back to the 4-3, another starter is needed. With Lve's lack of durability, another starter caliber linebacker has to be added for depth. I expect one starter to be signed and a future starter to be drafted. It might be a good idea to spend multiple picks on the positional group as the future is totally uncertain.

Nah I hope like heck Jerry doesn't pick up his option. We have enough terrible contracts. LVE is damaged goods.
I rather draft his replacement. Speaking of linebackers. If Parsons or JOK is there do we pass? I can see passing on JOK even though he is considered the pass coverage linebacker in the draft. A little on the small side at 220lbs but he is one of the new skoo linebackers. Very fast and can cover. Parsons I love his blitzing, size and etc.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Unless there's some medical recovery impending that we don't know about, I'd just cut Jaylon. He's not worth that salary, and I don't think he ever will be.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I just can’t see it addressed this year. We might see a mid round pick and a depth FA signing. Feels like they are going to sign a S, that’ll be the majority of their cap space, most likely draft a CB early.

I bet they roll with Jaylon & LVE. If both are disasters again that’ll be focus for 2022.

We'll know on Jaylon soon enough.

Spotrac:
2021 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (3/21/21) (injury guaranteed now)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Incredible the difference from 2018.

2018 we were all thinking we're covered at the LB position for the foreseeable future with 2 up and coming stars...now, not so much.

I still think these guys "read their press clippings" and didn't work as hard in the film room - that and they had terrible coaching, Jaylon

thinking he deserved a Pro Bowl selection last year tells me that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Dan Quinn has run a base "4-3 under" defensive scheme but it doesn't mean Quinn is married to this scheme. He is known for adjusting his scheme to fit his players and putting players where they can succeed. So don't get into the mindset that this will be a conventional 4-3 formation.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Id draft JOK and tell lve to take Lee's spot and be quiet. Or him and jaylon can both rotate with each other.
Do you think this is why Dallas is bring in Neal to play WLB? They are trying to find a player for this position. This would be JOK position if we pick him.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Do you think this is why Dallas is bring in Neal to play WLB? They are trying to find a player for this position. This would be JOK position if we pick him.
I dont think they have the balls to cut or trade or even bench LVE

CWR

Reaction score
Awesome let's to get a young thunder cat.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Dan Quinn has run a base "4-3 under" defensive scheme but it doesn't mean Quinn is married to this scheme. He is known for adjusting his scheme to fit his players and putting players where they can succeed. So don't get into the mindset that this will be a conventional 4-3 formation.
Well we are hearing Neal might be coming on board to play linebacker not safety.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Unless there's some medical recovery impending that we don't know about, I'd just cut Jaylon. He's not worth that salary, and I don't think he ever will be.
I would of cut him already, but Cowboys still believe they can turn him around. He will be given 1 last chance with a new coordinator.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nah I hope like heck Jerry doesn't pick up his option. We have enough terrible contracts. LVE is damaged goods.
I rather draft his replacement. Speaking of linebackers. If Parsons or JOK is there do we pass? I can see passing on JOK even though he is considered the pass coverage linebacker in the draft. A little on the small side at 220lbs but he is one of the new skoo linebackers. Very fast and can cover. Parsons I love his blitzing, size and etc.
To take a linebacker high in the draft, they better be a 3 down player today, which I don't think either JOK/Parsons is at this juncture. Think we will see a linebacker drafted somewhere on day 2 and may even double up at the position later on.