Linebacker is shaping up to be a draft priority

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree, Neal isn't needed at LB, but Jaylon/Lve must rebound this upcoming season or they will be replaced.
It's easy to think that way, it makes sense but the Jones boys seem to not be able to admit their mistakes.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's easy to think that way, it makes sense but the Jones boys seem to not be able to admit their mistakes.
I think eventually he will make the decision to release him. We have seen a similar situation with former Safety, Roy Williams. Everyone knew he needed to be cut, but Jerry held onto to him too long cause of his personal relationship with him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
the future is now each year is new fill holes play and reorganize next offseason.. the NFL seasons are ONE Offs lets get this offseason complete before we judge..one week into FA and month before draft and how many months before preseason games are played?

lets calm dont and see the roster before all these posts about holes that are needs..

BTW there are few LBs that were hurt or didnt get a lot of playtime last season that still could be in the mix..thats what MCs OTAS, and PS are for. Finding players..
If the team decides not to pick up Lve's 5th yr option, we are going to need to replace him in 2022. Jaylon's roster spot could be in serious jeopardy if he has another poor season. Lee might be done. Joe Thomas is gone.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We can’t rule out the Cowboys drafting Parsons, Collins and JOK in the first round. I think you stated in another thread that Quinn’s defenses can be half 3/4 and half 4/3.With JOK maybe you can run a hybrid defense with 3 safeties. I actually think the Cowboys can find hybrid safety/linebackers later in the draft with Deablo Va Tech and the big Florida St kid.
This is a good point. They could very well go with a 3 safety alignment. I believe everything is set up for the team to draft a corner at 10, but we cannot rule out taking a linebacker. By the way, love both Nasirildeen and Deablo as hybrid LB/S.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Don't we pick ahead of the Giants in round 2 anyway? Though Togiai would be a 3rd rounder I think, so I'd probably take Holland and Davis or Werner in round 3 if we don't go S early.
Giants actually pick ahead of us in rd 2. Togiai would be a candidate for 75 or 99. I wonder if they sign Hooker or Kazee or both, would they take a Safety at 44?

blueblood70

Reaction score
If the team decides not to pick up Lve's 5th yr option, we are going to need to replace him in 2022. Jaylon's roster spot could be in serious jeopardy if he has another poor season. Lee might be done. Joe Thomas is gone.
I dont function on if's and 1-2 years in the future..useless debates..right now we assume LVE and JS start need roll guy most like a MLB in the draft or leftover after FA frenzy is over ..Lee most likely gone and not counted on we have who Bernard , Gifford and Kamara on the roster could take Thomas role..i say lest wait until the roster is complete..then we can determine the weak areas of concern.

Ive seen LVE and JS play well with better play around them, maybe Quinn gets the best out of them..the process has just stared for building 2021 teams..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I dont function on if's and 1-2 years in the future..useless debates..right now we assume LVE and JS start need roll guy most like a MLB in the draft or leftover after FA frenzy is over ..Lee most likely gone and not counted on we have who Bernard , Gifford and Kamara on the roster could take Thomas role..i say lest wait until the roster is complete..then we can determine the weak areas of concern.

Ive seen LVE and JS play well with better play around them, maybe Quinn gets the best out of them..the process has just stared for building 2021 teams..
Best case scenario they sign KJ Wright and draft a future starter at the position. That would give them options now and for the future.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This is a good point. They could very well go with a 3 safety alignment. I believe everything is set up for the team to draft a corner at 10, but we cannot rule out taking a linebacker. By the way, love both Nasirildeen and Deablo as hybrid LB/S.
Yeah cornerback is the favorite. I think it will be between Farley/Surtain. Unless they get blowned away by Horne, Stokes, Newsome ect.....

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah cornerback is the favorite. I think it will be between Farley/Surtain. Unless they get blowned away by Horne, Stokes, Newsome ect.....
I would take Slater and draft a corner later, but I think they are zeroed in on taking a corner. Looks like Denver might be signing Fuller which could mean they will have the choice who to take.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With LVEs injury concerns and Jaylon not being good I"m definitely open to drafting someone fairly early.

The potential of signing Neal as a WILL sounds like a nice stop gap and insurance. but I wouldn't let that stop me from drafting someone.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would take Slater and draft a corner later, but I think they are zeroed in on taking a corner. Looks like Denver might be signing Fuller which could mean they will have the choice who to take.
That might mean we can actually trade down and still get the highest rated cornerback.

cheyennes

Reaction score
We need two LBs, LVE injury the last two sesson, Lee is gone. Draft or FA , but 2. COX or Collins, Milo Eifler Davis from Ku ,Warner and Browing from OSU, Hienes III A&M,

First round Will be CB or OL, or ? Pitt or a wr?

I sign 2 Fs FA, and will go for 2 CBs, 1 DT , 2 lbs , 2 OL, 1 Rb, 1 WR

We need 2 OL too, the OL was our best unit, re build for the next years. Green or Deonte Brown OGs and some T

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there any position on the D this team doesn't need? I don't see DE as a priority but they need multiple players capable of starting at DT, LB, CB and S.

The fact is they're not going to fix this D in one off season, I am just looking for some progress beginning with stopping the run, particularly up the gut. They must fix that interior DL because the MLB, that they like so much, is too slow in the hole. Their egos won't allow them to admit he's, at best, a rotational player. MLB's are not paid that kind of money to make tackles down the field, they're supposed to stop drives.

His defenders cite the number of tackles. How many of those are head on versus from the side or back?