Linebacker positions named

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We got to hurry and ruin Parsons because we cant have nice things. Im not sure I like him lining up at DE every down if thats their plan hes too light
Well I for one would like to see him chasing the plays up the field after he can disengage from the tackle or gets out of their backfield...again this year. :rolleyes:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
People have gotten too used to seeing safeties on the field as LB's, 4-3 has 3 Lb's 4 down lineman and 3 lb's, 3-4 3 down lineman and 4 lb's

Carson

Reaction score
All this weak side strong side stuff what the hell does this mean!!??
Strong side typically lines up on the Tight end side or whichever side contains the most personnel. Strong side is typically better against the run.

Weak side is typically your fastest, most athletic guy because he will drop into coverage

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Strong side typically lines up on the Tight end side or whichever side contains the most personnel. Strong side is typically better against the run.

Weak side is typically your fastest, most athletic guy because he will drop into coverage
I owe you everything, thanks!!!!

starfan1

Reaction score
Well I for one would like to see him chasing the plays up the field after he can disengage from the tackle or gets out of their backfield...again this year. :rolleyes:
most of would I would also like to see him doing it more regularly in latter part of the season vs running out of gusto week 12. Parsons knows but 1 speed speed and thats all out and hes a hck of a player but they are asking alot of the guy

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Clarks gonna lose his job after 3 games. If McCarthy is serious about the Cowboys not being done in free agency, he has to get another linebacker. It was our weakest position last year and our downfall!

Clark is awful

jrumann59

Reaction score
Clarks gonna lose his job after 3 games. If McCarthy is serious about the Cowboys not being done in free agency, he has to get another linebacker. It was our weakest position last year and our downfall!

Clark is awful
Even so Nickel is the Base defense in the NFL now. If Clark is as bad you say he may see 25% of the defensive snaps because they will not be in a standard 4-3 that much.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Overshown at Will and Clark at Sam doesn't make much sense to me, but maybe they see something I don't see at the practices.

Sam's usually do more covering (either TE or back early downs), which is why they come off in the Nickel, when you bring in another DB. I thought Overshown was the faster/quicker, better coverage LB, and closer to a SS.
Sams are usually run at, where Will's usually chase. Maybe they think Clark will stand up better to being run at???

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The SLB is the one that comes out for the Nickel.
Well, I think Kendricks will come off the field in the nickel and Bell will probably be inserted at linebacker, so the question there is who the other linebacker will be when we go nickel. My bet is Overshown if he is fully recovered because I think he has better coverage ability than Clark. Don't know if Liufua competes for one of those roles as a rookie. I also don't know if we see Damien Wilson as starter competition or just veteran depth.

My thought was that Clark/Overshown would compete to be the starter at WLB with Kendricks at MLB and Parsons at SLB in the 4-3. Then, when we go to nickel, we'd have Bell and Overshown/Clark at linebacker with Parsons moving to RDE.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Clark was out of position last year. Him being back at the strong will let him be who he should be. Hope he can be dominant. Our lb core hasn’t been what it once was.

gimmesix

Reaction score
they have to figure something out because come playoffs hes worn down. I realize he gets doubled and tripled and held but they do need to figure out a way to utilize where hes effective yet not wear him down for the stretch run
Not having him line up at end on running downs would certainly help. Teams are smart enough to run at him and force him to have to deal with trying to fight off 300-plus-pound men in order to wear him down. Dealing with linemen vs. the run where they have the advantage in initiating contact is a lot more taxing than dealing with them vs. the run where they are having to try to react to what the pass rusher is doing, even if they double, triple and hold him. We need to let him operate in space as much as we can where he can use his speed to avoid some of that contact.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Clark was out of position last year. Him being back at the strong will let him be who he should be. Hope he can be dominant. Our lb core hasn’t been what it once was.
Losing LVE and not really having a replacement on hand really hurt. Clark had to take on that role and Bell had to be more than a nickel/dime linebacker. Maybe Quinn deserves some blame for that, but I mostly blame it on the front office for not doing anything about it. It's tough to overcome season-ending injuries to two players you were counting on at a position, but it's up to the front office to do something about it and ours didn't.