RELEASED Linehan officially gone **merged**

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
Attempting to read between the lines, I'm surmising that it was determined that Lombardi and/or Campbell are at the end of their contracts and that unofficial back channel conversations occurred and progressed sufficiently in the last 24-48 hours to make it clear that they should go ahead and cut ties with Linehan so he can identify his next lilypad, whether in the league or perhaps at some FBS school.

I just don't think the Joneses let go of Linehan if they don't already know with some certainty who the next guy is (, or guys).

Let's just pray new o.c. has a big playbook.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know you were being sarcastic, but a smart OC would be ecstatic about this offense.

He inherits a young QB with potential, a great offensive line, one of the best running backs in football and two young, exciting WRs. This offense should be exciting and fun to coordinate, just like it should be exciting and fun to watch.
One of the most boring offenses in Cowboys history. With one of the worst passing QB’s. And working in this circus atmosphere under Jerry. Good luck. Lol

_sturt_

Reaction score

I must be having a brain cramp b/c I don't understand why one has something to do with the other.

We already knew Jerry dropped a hint that they'd be interested if someone became available.

But as said in another post, seems more probable that while the conversation occurred Wed night, the decision wasn't made until yesterday... likely after Joneses had been able to affirm based on back channel discussions they would be able to nab Campbell and/or Lombardi.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the most boring offenses in Cowboys history.

I think he was talking about the talent and not the scheme. As for the scheme, there will be opportunity to make changes, as long as the run is still a significant element.

ICP

Reaction score
I haven't read through this whole thread but about a week ago I read that the Cowboys might be interested in Lincoln Riley.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I haven't read through this whole thread but about a week ago I read that the Cowboys might be interested in Lincoln Riley.

While I would love having Riley with the Cowboys, I highly doubt he is leaving an awesome position as the HC of OU to come play second fiddle to Jerry and Garrett.

Reactions: ICP

IceBowler

Reaction score
... and this is going to do exactly WHAT to keep our defense from giving up 300 yards on the ground ...

Not saying the firing wasn't warranted - just saying it wasn't the offensive effort that lost the Rams game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think he was talking about the talent and not the scheme. As for the scheme, there will be opportunity to make changes, as long as the run is still a significant element.
And I was mostly talking about working in the most comical environment in the NFL.

My hunch is Jerry doesn’t have a clue who he’s bringing in. He’s just throwing Red Meat to his base of supporters providing a glimmer of hope moving forward. Whatever...

Sydla

Reaction score
Garrett isnt setting anything. He wanted Linehan here and he got kicked to the curb.

You apparently didn’t read the earlier tweet that said Garrett was the one who set the conservative offensive tone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well yea, who wouldn’t be but breaking news he or most aren’t interested in the Cowboys unless they can’t get a gig elsewhere.

Htown-Cowboy

Reaction score

:clap:YESSSSSSSS!:clap:

giphy.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I was mostly talking about working in the most comical environment in the NFL.

My hunch is Jerry doesn’t have a clue who he’s bringing in. He’s just throwing Red Meat to his base of supporters providing a glimmer of hope moving forward. Whatever...

I hear this kind of comment sometimes, but as much as I dislike Jerry being the GM, I don't think he really believes that firing Linehan either before he has a likely replacement in mind, or without one really has any effect. He knows either way the reaction is essentially the same until he names a new OC. I also think that while it may be true that he doesn't yet know who the replacement will be, they certainly have a list of candidates in mind.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This was long overdue.

Not only was his system out of date, he was stubborn and refused to adapt it to the players on the team.

The few times he did mix things up early in games, it was short lived and he fell right back into his old tendencies.

Not saying it will fix all their offensive issues, but it a great start!

Bowdown27

Reaction score
This was the biggest move we could have made all offseason besides a new hc. Now bring in someone who can make our offense flourish. Give Richard the defensive coordinator job and we’re cooking