Lions are signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension ($170 million guaranteed)

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
You mean one of the worst performers in prime time since he’s been in the league?
Yep, the same one who has done much better than Dak in the playoffs with less talent around him.

And?

Your link does nothing to disprove the playoff TD to Turnover production of both QBs.

He outplayed Dak in the playoffs last year with less talent around him (compare all pro selections between Dallas and Detroit in 2023, Dallas had significantly more all-pros than Detroit last year).

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Thread is skewed by the haters and the fanboys. Fact is Goff and Dak are probably close on the same pedestal. Goff has better Playoff success, but I think they‘re both in that next echelon of good, but not great, QBs. Whatever Goff gets, Dak’s agent can probably find the same.
Just about the most fair statement on this thread.

Given QB trending dollars, I think Goff's number was a good deal for the Lions and given Goff's good fit QB for this team but not great QB status, I think this is a nice payday for him.

Well done, Lions.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Thread is skewed by the haters and the fanboys. Fact is Goff and Dak are probably close on the same pedestal. Goff has better Playoff success, but I think they‘re both in that next echelon of good, but not great, QBs. Whatever Goff gets, Dak’s agent can probably find the same.
Goff is a contender, Dak isn't.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Bottom line is Jerry has to make the call to extend Dak or not. The fans call on this will mot matter.

IMO, he will extend Dak somewhere between Goff and Burrow especially if Miami, Green Bay and Jacksonville can get their guts at Goff money or less. Tua is still a big unknown and an injury risk. Love had a great season but will sustain it and he probably will agree to something around Goff money. Lawrence is a question because he was a #1 pick and showed really well with enough help around him and think he gets slightly less than Burrow.

Is Dak worth the money? That really isn't the question. IMO, none of the QBs are worth or should be worth more than 20 percent of the cap. But it doesn't matter what any of us think, it is just how the business of the NFL works.

Jerry almost has to extend Dak because if not you will go into the next off season with no QB on the roster unless you franchise Rush or Lance and the franchise tag for a QB next off season is expected to be around $45 million. How many think right now Rush or Lance is worth $45 million?

The extension will be coming regardless.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The only way to save this sport is by capping the percent of the cap that can go into each position group.

Otherwise. WRs are going to be making QB money soon.
Exactly. Allow for the position caps to grow in a percentage that is commensurate to the growth of the overall cap, which grows with gross revenue of the brand.

Everybody wins. Everybody gets a piece as the pie gets bigger. But the overall salary cap isn’t held hostage by contract negotiations that are outpacing salary cap increases

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Exactly. Allow for the position caps to grow in a percentage that is commensurate to the growth of the overall cap, which grows with gross revenue of the brand.

Everybody wins. Everybody gets a piece as the pie gets bigger. But the overall salary cap isn’t held hostage by contract negotiations that are outpacing salary cap increases
Makes sense but good luck getting the players to buy into that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Maybe, but at least he's spitting the bit with pressure, Dak does not require pressure to go full tard in the playoffs.
No argument from me. Dak never steps up. I understand when teams and QBs can be overwhelmed by the better team. Like we did to Brady in the playoffs. But we never step it up in the playoffs and challenge a better team. Like GB and the Lions did to the 49ers last year. We don't even compete.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Since 2006: of 13 QBs to have 3 or more non-replacement invites to the pro bowl only Romo and Prescott failed to make a conference title game.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Uhhh.... im not an NFL scout or anything, but.... Jared Goff was the very first pick of the NFL draft. Dak was a 4th round pick.

Shouldn't Goff have been clearly better than Dak? As a 1st overall pick, why haven't he led a team to a Superbowl victory yet? Number 1 overall and he just has a Superbowl appearance to his name? Why didn't he win a Superbowl with the Rams?

The next question I have is why has Dak been better than other 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round quarterbacks in his and other draft classes?
If the playoff numbers that have been posted per this thread are accurate, it would be easy to say he (Goff) has outplayed Dak - when it matters the most. To your point, he should, he was a first overall selection.

Why didn't he win a SuperBowl with the Rams? Well, since Goff has been in the league, there have only been 4 QB's to win the big game and two are first ballot HOFer's with a third most likely getting in as well. No shame in not winning one, there aren't many QB's that have. And right now, Detroit has to be considered a player to make a legit run in 2024. Appearance number 2 for Goff?

Your last question, "why has Dak been better than other 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarterbacks"? I think the dude has maxed out his potential which is a total hats-off to his diligence and professionalism. He has been a good steward of QB position for the Dallas Cowboys. If everyone's being honest, I doubt anyone on this board can state with clear conscious that they knew Dak would be this productive in the NFL. Perhaps the guy was a late bloomer or just one of the many missed by scouts that don't always get it right. Just off the cuff I can think of two QB's not drafted in the first two rounds that are accountable for almost 20% of all Superbowl wins.

The window has probably just closed on the best team that Dak will have around him while in Dallas. He's had a good run (not great) but I think the organization is getting ready to turn the page. As for Goff, the Lions have the window pretty wide open so I'd anticipate whatever playoff credentials he's accrued thus far to only get better. That 4-year, $212 mil. w/170 guaranteed may look really sweet following the next couple seasons.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Confusing players?
I already addressed the mix up. I thought the quoted user was confusing Baker (who just got paid by Tampa) with Goff. That was the only scenario in which the original quote would have made sense because Dak has never beat Goff in the playoffs even though that was the claim that was made (only time they played in the playoffs was 2018 when Goff won)

Proof

Reaction score
Imagine that, paying a qb based on past successful results not the hope that they'll "get it" in year 9.
Paying for past performance is one of the biggest fallacies around. you guys will just say anything. also dak is >>> goff.

Proof

Reaction score
Interesting career so far. At one point Dak looked liked the best quarterback from his class and I would have agreed at one point however Goff imo better of the two now

1 conference games and a superbowl appearance then shipped out of LA as they knew Stafford was an upgrade once he got stale. Goes to the lions and puts together the team taking the trash lions to 9-8 and 12-5 seasons and brings them to the conference game last year. Looked good in the playoffs too
he threw 4 tds in 3 playoff games last year lol. what put together the upgraded "trash lions" was the plethora of high picks they've had the past few years. the rams shipped him off with a first round pick, and immediately won the sb. I like goff and i think the detroit reclamation project story is feel good stuff. dak is better though.

Proof

Reaction score
Still boggles the mind that the Dallas QB repeatedly shown that he will never take this team any further in playoffs and fans still wanna throw money at this guy. Seriously what are you looking at? Go back and watch some of his stinkers from just the past season and give a logical and rational reason to resign this guy. Don't give me useless empty stats or MVP votes. He was definitely on of the Packers MVPs in January. I also don't want hear fear of the unknown. After 8 years the known is division round ceiling. As a fan you should want better than that.
pretty difficult to give you logical and rational reasons when you exclude them from the conversation lol

Proof

Reaction score
Bad deal for the Lions, IMO. Goff is on the Dak, Kirk Cousins type of QB tier, and rarely do teams end up happy after paying those guys big money.

Detroit has a fantastic young core, but their rookie contracts' expiry and Goff's fresh mega-deal put a 1 to 2 window on that team.
i believe with their roster and boatload of young low cost talent that they could win with goff under the right circumstances. i'm surprised they gave him a 4 yr deal w/ so much guaranteed. would have thought they'd make it easier to get out of. but hey, they like their guy. fun squad.

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah, it's apples and oranges. A #1 overall pick that leads two different teams to an NFC championship game.

In two of the three season that Goff has been with the Lions, they had the #32 ranked defense so it's not like he was being carried by the team.

Dak is my quarterback but he'll never give the Cowboys the same skill set as Goff.
those two seasons they didn't make the playoffs lol. these arguments are wild

Proof

Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe Jerry is just going to let him walk for nothing.

and for the people advocating that the QB not be in the salary cap.. wouldn't that just mean they would get more money?
yeah, no one would care though if it didn't impact the cap. pay them a billion dollars, just leave the rest of the pie for the other 52 lol