Video: Lombardi: “This is the best version of Dak that we've seen”

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the past 7 years shows what exactly? Still waiting for that answer. I thought it would be easy since you keep saying it.
I know you didn't ask me...but I feel compelled to answer anyway.

7 years showed me we...WE (includes Dak)....can play VERY well, and then WE can play very badly.

I know...teams (and players) have their ups and downs...but...there's too much green in between those scenarios. And too often ill-timed. For this team and players, we have to shrink that space, and be more consistent. We have to come out of the gate more adeptly. Give us breathing room early on.

Reactions: Ken

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For Dak to have a good game it all starts up front with OL. They have to give him time. SF defense is much better than Tampa, so expecting the same kind of evening for Dak is a tall order. Dak must protect the ball and avoid the big mistakes. Yards will not come as easy.
The RB's need that as badly as Dak does. We have GOT to get some push and a couple holes. Not too concerned with Zeke...is what it is...but can you imagine Tony with a big hole up the middle? He spends too much time bouncing out...when he should be chewing yards up the field.

bottleKids

Reaction score
So the past 7 years shows what exactly? Still waiting for that answer. I thought it would be easy since you keep saying it.
We don't have the greatest success in the last 7 years in terms of deep runs and playoff success. I hope that changes this year. And as I said before, I will give Dak and the team credit. But to act like the last 7 years has been a dynasty type run is very silly...

Year Record Finish (Regular / Post Season) Coach
2022 12-5-0 2nd -- NFC East 1-0 - Advanced to Divisional Playoffs Mike McCarthy Roster / Stats
2021 12-5-0 1st -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs Mike McCarthy Roster / Stats
2020 6-10-0 3rd -- NFC East -- Mike McCarthy Roster / Stats
2019 8-8-0 2nd -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
2018 10-6-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
2017 9-7-0 2nd -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
2016 13-3-0 1st -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Jason Garrett Roster / Stats

Ken

Reaction score

7 years showed me we...WE (includes Dak)....can play VERY well, and then WE can play very badly.

I know...teams (and players) have their ups and downs...but...there's too much green in between those scenarios. And too often ill-timed. For this team and players, we have to shrink that space, and be more consistent. We have to come out of the gate more adeptly. Give us breathing room early on.
Yes we have.

I am optimistic that we are on a different trajectory though. The 30 year gorilla is now off our back, this after shedding the "omg so and so player is hurt so we have to lose" gorilla. We overcame so much adversity this year to still win 12 games in back to back years...maybe McCarthy really is a good coach??????

I have been changing my tune on him...the Dance after last game humanized him to me a bit....

Hope to earn 4 more quarters after Sunday.

bottleKids

Reaction score
The only thing I don’t support is Dak sucking up 20% of the teams salary…..let’s see if he can earn that cap burden on Sunday.

I also dont support Lawrences and Zekes salary’s either. Neither are elite at their positions anymore and they aren’t worth their salary cap burdens either
This is the crux of the issue, and I could not agree more. Take Dak out of the picture.. he is a lightning rod on this board, and we all know it. But he is not the only one with a large cap hit that may lead to us not being able to keep players like Parsons' or Diggs. And if you think about it, its not the players, of course they are going to take max they can get. The real issue of this organization is someone's name who rhymes with dairy.

Ken

Reaction score
We don't have the greatest success in the last 7 years in terms of deep runs and playoff success. I hope that changes this year. And as I said before, I will give Dak and the team credit. But to act like the last 7 years has been a dynasty type run is very silly...

Year Record Finish (Regular / Post Season) Coach
2022 12-5-0 2nd -- NFC East 1-0 - Advanced to Divisional Playoffs Mike McCarthy Roster / Stats
2021 12-5-0 1st -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs Mike McCarthy Roster / Stats
2020 6-10-0 3rd -- NFC East -- Mike McCarthy Roster / Stats
2019 8-8-0 2nd -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
2018 10-6-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
2017 9-7-0 2nd -- NFC East -- Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
2016 13-3-0 1st -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Jason Garrett Roster / Stats
Won the division 3 times in 7 years and it would have been 4 this year if not for the Eagle's huge season.

3 times in the divisional playoffs....we will see if NFC CC Game can get added to the resume.

Ken

Reaction score
This is the crux of the issue, and I could not agree more. Take Dak out of the picture.. he is a lightning rod on this board, and we all know it. But he is not the only one with a large cap hit that may lead to us not being able to keep players like Parsons' or Diggs. And if you think about it, its not the players, of course they are going to take max they can get. The real issue of this organization is someone's name who rhymes with dairy.
Let's put it a different way taking Dak out of the picture with the money issue.

If you could spend 20% of your cap on a player and guarantee to have the #1 offense in the league or a bottom 1/3 offense in the league if you don't, would you sign that player?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The RB's need that as badly as Dak does. We have GOT to get some push and a couple holes. Not too concerned with Zeke...is what it is...but can you imagine Tony with a big hole up the middle? He spends too much time bouncing out...when he should be chewing yards up the field.
I agree, big key in the OL. They must be able to neutralize Bosa

bottleKids

Reaction score
Won the division 3 times in 7 years and it would have been 4 this year if not for the Eagle's huge season.

3 times in the divisional playoffs....we will see if NFC CC Game can get added to the resume.
I am not minimizing regular season success to be clear. I agree with everything you just said, but we are all hungry for more. I think that is something everyone here can agree on whether you are a Dak "Lover" or a Dak "Hater".... winning this week is going to shut a lot of us up for a good while (including me).

P.S - I want to be shut up very badly.....

Ken

Reaction score
I agree, big key in the OL. They must be able to neutralize Bosa
i think they will. i have faith that Tyron will not be abused nearly as badly as Collins was last year while Bosa was in the game.

Also... I can't stress enough how horrible Connor Williams was in that game. Aside from getting pushed back into the backfield all game he also had multiple penalties.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Let's put it a different way taking Dak out of the picture with the money issue.

If you could spend 20% of your cap on a player and guarantee to have the #1 offense in the league or a bottom 1/3 offense in the league if you don't, would you sign that player?
Yes - but you need to be very confident that your offense and those player part of that said offense are going to put up huge points.

The Eagles for example are in a VERY interesting spot. They are going to overpay for Hurts, like we overpaid for Dak, and every other team over paid for their QB, but next year their defense is going to be bad. They are going to lose a lot of guys..... If they can't repeat their offensive success of this year, they will be a bottom team. So my response is, I agree with you, with the caveat that the front office needs to be sure they right people are in the right seats on the roster....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wonder if other fan bases forget 7 years worth of evidence because of 1 game against an 8-9 team?

I doubt it.

This is why Cowboys fans are mocked.
You definitely didn’t watch those 7 years, one of which in won ROY. He’s been playing great his entire career.

Ken

Reaction score
Yes - but you need to be very confident that your offense and those player part of that said offense are going to put up huge points.

The Eagles for example are in a VERY interesting spot. They are going to overpay for Hurts, like we overpaid for Dak, and every other team over paid for their QB, but next year their defense is going to be bad. They are going to lose a lot of guys..... If they can't repeat their offensive success of this year, they will be a bottom team. So my response is, I agree with you, with the caveat that the front office needs to be sure they right people are in the right seats on the roster....
Only thing I disagree with is the word "overpaid".

It is, unfortunately, the going rate for the position.

They have to pay Hurts the going rate. Only that doesn't mean you have to operate how the Cowboys have operated either. They have been very FA averse. They don't have to be but that is their philosophy.

Even giving these QBs big contracts...as long as they perform, you can kick the can down the road and still operate. It is when you have a Carson Wentz situation or now a Stafford situation that it is a problem.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They’ve got everything invested in just one guy. We support the whole team while they just cheer for one

some of them would be thrilled if Dak puts up 300 yards against the Niners in garbage time and we lose.

not all of them but a few.…….the team in San Fran be waiting on elite Dak
That’s BS and you know it. You just say that to make yourself and other ignorant Dak haters feel better.

Ken

Reaction score
That’s BS and you know it. You just say that to make yourself and other ignorant Dak haters feel better.
"the team in SF is waiting on elite Dak"

Just that comment says it all. He hopes like hell that we get beat and Dak gets destroyed.

Not a fan.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You definitely didn’t watch those 7 years, one of which in won ROY. He’s been playing great his entire career.
We know how you feel about Dak, Rocky.

I just hope whenever Dak goes you decide to follow him to his new team.

Qcard

Reaction score

Prescott is a Win away against the 49ers from locking down Dallas Cowboys QB1 for the next 10 years.

Dak Hate must be a painful existence 2024 Off Ramp is on the table this Sunday!! :laugh: :laugh:

TX_Yid

Reaction score

We got one really good game, we just need a 4 game streak of Good Dak, coupled with solid defensive play and a running game.

Did I say just?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"the team in SF is waiting on elite Dak"

Just that comment says it all. He hopes like hell that we get beat and Dak gets destroyed.

Not a fan.
He’s not a fan and not but a troll. He’s a miserable human.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

No, I’m a Cowboys fan. Always have been, always will be. I was a huge Romo fan but when Dak came along and showed how good he is I knew it was time for Romo to step back. Very different from you who hopes Dak fails.