Video: Lombardi: “This is the best version of Dak that we've seen”

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
No, I’m a Cowboys fan. Always have been, always will be. I was a huge Romo fan but when Dak came along and showed how good he is I knew it was time for Romo to step back. Very different from you who hopes Dak fails.
Cowboys fans show up win or lose.

Dak fans show up when Dak plays well.

There's a difference, Rocky.

Ken

Reaction score
No, I’m a Cowboys fan. Always have been, always will be. I was a huge Romo fan but when Dak came along and showed how good he is I knew it was time for Romo to step back. Very different from you who hopes Dak fails.
Same here.

Loved Romo but how could you take out Dak with the way he and the team was playing? Dak was the future at that point and Romo was breaking down almost every year...

Ken

Reaction score
Cowboys fans show up win or lose.

Dak fans show up when Dak plays well.

There's a difference, Rocky.
I don't disappear after any game.

Sometimes i give it a night bc if I don't i will get banned from this board with the stupidty that spews.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There's only one more thing Dak has to do to be "king". (eeww....not sure I can get on board with that. ).

Come out on the first strive and stick a dagger in the defense. I mean it's great he "made adjustments" or "got a handle on it".

constant opening with 2-3 three and outs puts me in a sour pus mood. :)
3 dropped balls on the first drive isn't going to help in that department. Teams come out overloaded to stop the run early in games so it's going to be rare that you pop a big one in that first series. That means th ebest chance of moving the chains early on is going to be quick passes. The guys gotta catch the damn ball or we're going to be punting and a bunch of softheads will be here talking about how "Dak is off to another slow start." Like he should have run out there and handed it to the receiver instead of throwing it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 dropped balls on the first drive isn't going to help in that department. Teams come out overloaded to stop the run early in games so it's going to be rare that you pop a big one in that first series. That means th ebest chance of moving the chains early on is going to be quick passes. The guys gotta catch the damn ball or we're going to be punting and a bunch of softheads will be here talking about how "Dak is off to another slow start." Like he should have run out there and handed it to the receiver instead of throwing it.
They do. But it doesn;t have to be a "big one" or instant home run. Control the ball and clock...and let the defense open up fresh.

Doesn't even need to be a TD. Just don;t make the d go out with less than a minute ticked off. Then again...then again.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Same here.

Loved Romo but how could you take out Dak with the way he and the team was playing? Dak was the future at that point and Romo was breaking down almost every year...
How? Easy. Romo was better and gave the team the best chance to win. Especially, that year.
Obviously, Dak has improved his game since then, and the gap isn't as wide, but it wasn't a difficult decision then. Sadly the team made the wrong one, and many on here still think it was the right one for some weird reason.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not going to lie, I’ve appreciated Dak a lot more after last week and this season. I’m not sure how to marry games like Washington with last week but I’m confident if they call a game like TB, getting him outside the pocket etc, we got a real shot! It’s been a rollercoaster of feelings about Dak over the years so hopefully we have a trend
Go back to the Washington game and count the dropped passes.. especially early in the game. I stopped counting at 9 and I had not made it to halftime yet. At some point guys dropping balls on him is going to frustrate the QB. The guy's human. A lot of these "slow starts" by Dak can be traced directly to "slow starts" by his receivers. Yet no one ever really seems to want to talk about that. What Dak has to do is not let the drops get into his own head. I've always maintained that he has to be willing to take matters into his own hands (legs) and take off a few times ... Not only to move the chains but to fire up his teammates and inspire them to come with him but also to send that message to the defense that if they get too comfortable dropping off into coverage he's going to make them pay. I think he refused to do that against Washington because of the impending playoff run. And while I didn't like watching it.. I completely understood.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
They do. But it doesn;t have to be a "big one" or instant home run. Control the ball and clock...and let the defense open up fresh.

Doesn't even need to be a TD. Just don;t make the d go out with less than a minute ticked off. Then again...then again.
I agree.. I'm not talking about going for the deep ball early. I am talking about the short and intermediate stuff. With the defense overplaying for the run in hopes of making you one-dimensional there is going to be a lot of room over the middle. The y-option and the shallow crosses are going to be there. Take those and catch the damn ball and the slow start is a distant memory.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The ones that are beating their chest right now have been quiet for a month.

I remember when Cowboys fans expected better and would never try and crown a guy for playing well in a Wild Card game against an 8-9 team. This new generation of "participation trophy" fan is embarrassing and lives up to all the bad stereotypes people think Cowboys fans are.
There are not enough of you to create a stereo type but keep trying you amuse us

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The past 7 years shows that Dak is Dak.

The past 7 years shows that his play against the Bucs is an outlier.

The past 7 years shows that you should not expect that play from him Sunday.

The past 7 years shows that he will fail to play at the level needed consistently.
12-5 back to back is consistency Add a playoff game this year with more to come is improvement

RonnieT24

Reaction score
How? Easy. Romo was better and gave the team the best chance to win. Especially, that year.
Obviously, Dak has improved his game since then, and the gap isn't as wide, but it wasn't a difficult decision then. Sadly the team made the wrong one, and many on here still think it was the right one for some weird reason.
I disagree that it "wasn't a difficult decision." It absolutely was.. but I agree that they made the wrong one.. But I don't see it how most do. The Cowboys had a 2 game lead in the division most of the season and could have given Romo a game or two to find out what he still had left in the tank. I think they should have given him at least that entire Eagles game to show and prove... If he lit it up then you start him in the playoffs. If he stinks or gets hurt, you have your answer and you continue forward with Dak. I've never for once believed that it would "ruin Dak" or damage his confidence if you put Romo back in. Dak is a mentally touch guy and a team guy and I guarantee you he would have taken it in stride.

Ken

Reaction score
Romo had better command of the position at that point, no doubt.

However, would his body have held up? Probably not based on what we had seen in recent years from him.

Also, what would have happened with Dak? Would he have lost any momentum he had and not develop into the qb he has become (unlikely with how he is made up) and would they have lost the locker room? A lot of new guys on that team had Dak's back (zeke being one of them) and there were always Rumblings of how many teamates didn't like Tony.

They made the right decision, imo. I said it before they made the decision too. As much as I loved Tony...it was time.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just to be clear. Dak was about the 8th best QB 3 years ago when Dallas should have early extended him.
He was about the 8th best QB when people were crapping on him 2 weeks ago.
He was about the 8th best QB last week when he roflstomped TB.
He is about the 8th best QB (overall not of those remaining in the playoffs) right now.

Mina Kimes had him nailed in her PRE-season discussion of QBs.
His strengths and weaknesses are well known.

He is really good but like 99% of us he is not infallible.

The OL/WR/RB need to do their jobs. Dak will do his.
But if you force him to carry everyone he will almost certainly make mistakes.
That goes for every QB essentially.

Dallas had the edge last year at QB and if not for 4-5 bad penalties they likely win that game late giving Dak his "signature" win.
But the QB isn't overcoming a defense handing free sets of downs to the opponent and negating big yardage plays as well in the same game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I disagree that it "wasn't a difficult decision." It absolutely was.. but I agree that they made the wrong one.. But I don't see it how most do. The Cowboys had a 2 game lead in the division most of the season and could have given Romo a game or two to find out what he still had left in the tank. I think they should have given him at least that entire Eagles game to show and prove... If he lit it up then you start him in the playoffs. If he stinks or gets hurt, you have your answer and you continue forward with Dak. I've never for once believed that it would "ruin Dak" or damage his confidence if you put Romo back in. Dak is a mentally touch guy and a team guy and I guarantee you he would have taken it in stride.
Was never about that.
Was 2 facts.
1. Romo had a bad back and the team knew it. He couldn't pass an NFL physical unless it was rigged.
2. Romo made so much money and Dallas had to move off that money regardless after seeing TR9 miss 2 out of the 3 prior seasons while earning top 7 QB money.

In that 2016 playoff game Dak Prescott was better than any playoff game of Tony Romo's career. 302 yards passing, 3 TDs passing and a 103 QB rating.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Was never about that.
Was 2 facts.
1. Romo had a bad back and the team knew it. He couldn't pass an NFL physical unless it was rigged.
2. Romo made so much money and Dallas had to move off that money regardless after seeing TR9 miss 2 out of the 3 prior seasons while earning top 7 QB money.

In that 2016 playoff game Dak Prescott was better than any playoff game of Tony Romo's career. 302 yards passing, 3 TDs passing and a 103 QB rating.
I don't disagree.. but what he wasn't was as good at orchestrating the game as the 13 year veteran at that point in his career. The Cowboys didn't lose that game because of Dak's play, they lost it because of not managing the game properly. That INT Dak threw after they rushed up to the line to try that stupid WR screen after a nice long play got them into scoring position doesn't happen to Romo IMHO. Then spiking the ball after Zeke's big run got them into FG range there at the end was the only reason there was any time left for Rodgers.. I also don't think at that stage in his career Romo is falling behind 21-3 in the first quarter. Again we'll never know for sure.. but at that point in their respective careers I always favor the experienced guy..