Long term thinking in a short term game

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I agree that teams have to have backup plans, but the idea that because a player produces and then wants to get paid on his new contract is reason to just move on to the next man is foolishness. Here's the easy explanation There are 22 positions not including special teams, kicker and punter and long snapper and teams have 7 rounds in the draft. No teams hits it on all 7 rounds. Most teams have anywhere from 1/3 to almost half of their roster up for contracts every year. There's not enough picks to draft all of the replacements even if a team hits on all 7 picks. If you say sign free agents well if they're as good as the players that want to get paid that you moved on from it's a bidding war and you'll probably end up paying almost as much as the player you let go with no guarantee they will do as well on your team. There are players that are head and shoulders above any replacement they may have and it makes sense to resign those players. Otherwise the team will be in a constant rebuilding stage and get nowhere fast. No team has backup plans that replaces every position with really good backups. Now talking about the QB position, if Prescott in continually improving just how is that possible future QB that is a backup going to get in regular season games to progress.
There were some blowout games last year that I thought Dak shouldn't be on the field. If this team was trying to develop a QB they could have definitely gotten that QB some playing time. But Cooper Rush is a career backup and there was no 3rd QB on the 46.

But you are right in saying you just can't keep changing out players like that. And that's why most teams want a franchise QB. Someone that's going to be around for a while. Find a QB stick with him and build around him is most teams game plan.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Give Dak a 4 year deal like he wants. Structure it so they can get out in 2 to 3 years if he does not perform like he thinks he can.
In the mean time look for another QB to develop as your back up / trade if Dak does perform. If he brings a few SB's, then he will be worthy of another contract. If not, then move on at that time.

No matter what happens they will eventually need to pay some QB those big bucks.

If your looking for a way out after 2 years...that means you don't trust the guy in the first place. That means your in the QB market even if you want to admit it or not. :rolleyes:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah it’s fine.. Just keep drafting.. Heck draft 2 of them. Busts are at every position.

There ya go. Keep drafting, good advice. Because we all know how rare it is to find a franchise QB in the draft. And when the day comes that one of these young guys is better than Dak, then we can move on. Unless your advice is to hold the whole franchise hostage until we do that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would give Dak a 2 year deal if he is so set on a short term deal. 2 years 70 million and 40 guaranteed with 30 up front. If he wants to cash in again and wants to bet on himself then go for it. If he don’t continue to improve then he can go.

glimmerman

Reaction score
There ya go. Keep drafting, good advice. Because we all know how rare it is to find a franchise QB in the draft. And when the day comes that one of these young guys is better than Dak, then we can move on. Unless your advice is to hold the whole franchise hostage until we do that.
I like Dak and think he will continue to get better but not liking the way the negotiations are going. I know it’s his agent but he is the franchise QB and JJ wants to pay him and lock him down long term for huge money. JJ wants security I think more than Dak. Dak and or his agent is playing the money game when he don’t have to be greedy. It’s gonna be enormous money. To me right now his value is 35 a year max and that’s pushing it. If his agent wants a 2 or 3 year deal then I would give it to him but start looking for another QB. Do you want to be the franchise QB for The Dallas Cowboys or not.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The stumbling block in getting this QB deal done seems to be the term of the contract and the Cowboys do not want to find themselves back here again in 4 years. Prescott is young enough that he will most likely get another contract and they evidently fear he will improve and deliver and they will be at his mercy and the mercy of a QB league gone wild.

Well, what did SF do when they had Montana, GB when they had Favre, NE when they had Brady and KC with Smith? Got the replacement before they needed him.

This seems very simple to me in this rags to riches to rags league and windows of opportunity. Where was SF in 2018? 4-12, second worst record in the NFC and in 2019? 13-3, best record in the NFC and in the SB. One year, two different teams. Will they be able to hold that team together? Probably not but who cares? They took that one to the Big Dance.

If they're concerned about the solution with the next contract with this QB, don't be, don't even consider another contract with him. They hired a QB oriented HC, make his assignment to find the next franchise QB before this QB's contract expires because he's hitting the bricks before or when it expires. That is his priority #2.

This keeping the family together thinking has no place with successful teams. If the Niners could part with Montana, Rice and Lott and GB with Favre and NE willing to trade Brady, long term thinking has no place in today's NFL. View every player, including the Witten's, as passing through and a hired gun. Every player is expendable and replaceable by the team, not on their own.

Accept that their not going to keep the band together, it's going to be like Poco, not often the same players from album to album but great players along the way.

Now, get this done. Get all of the players either gone and replaced or renewed and the team set for the season. No hold out distractions like they had last year, get the team ready for the season, a season of nothing but the game of football, not the business of football.

There is no team in all of sports with built in opportunities for distractions like the Cowboys. The team was inconsistent last season and underachieved because of distractions. The job of any FO is to limit those, not create them. Get the football team all about football.
Are you advocating blowing up the entire team and not signing any of our top 3 free agents?

Kwyn

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the '85 Bears? With their stout defense and their strong running game.

The Cowboys are stuck on finding their new set of triplets and that's holding them back, IMO. Paying too much attention to the offensive side of the ball. Its like Parcells said, "you can't dial 1-800- quarterback and get a quarterback." He said that because, if you don't have that super stud QB then your best option is to build up on the defensive side of the ball. In the salary cap era you can't let one player or one position hold this team hostage. Especially if he is not a super stud future hall of famer.

If we didn't re-sign Dak we could go after players like SS Justin Simmons, DT Leonard Williams, or DT Micheal Brockers. Not to mention re-signing some of our own like B.Jones, R.Quinn, and M.Collins. If we build a defense to go along with Zeke, Pollard and this offensive line all we would need is a bus driver at QB. Just saying.

Bill Parcells is one of the all time greats for a reason.
Every team in the league is looking for “triplets”. The cowboys are not alone in that regard

You need a franchise QB and a great runner or WR and every team is looking one or the other depending on their current roster

Saints, Chiefs and Packers seem to have found theirs.

you look at great teams of the past and most of them had triplets

49ers
Cowboys (twice)
Colts (twice)
Bills
Dolphins
Steelers
Commanders

Really, only the Patriots have managed consistent excellence without all three

so, the idea that “triplets” is some kind of Jerry Jones fever dream is silly.

To quote the great David Lee Roth

“Everybody wants some. I want some too!
Everybody needs some. How ‘bout you?”

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I like Dak and think he will continue to get better but not liking the way the negotiations are going. I know it’s his agent but he is the franchise QB and JJ wants to pay him and lock him down long term for huge money. JJ wants security I think more than Dak. Dak and or his agent is playing the money game when he don’t have to be greedy. It’s gonna be enormous money. To me right now his value is 35 a year max and that’s pushing it. If his agent wants a 2 or 3 year deal then I would give it to him but start looking for another QB. Do you want to be the franchise QB for The Dallas Cowboys or not.
Yah I don’t like when any of these players get greedy. Not liking this either.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yah I don’t like when any of these players get greedy. Not liking this either.
Seems they are following a trend. D-Law holds off shoulder surgery to hold them hostage to get paid. Elliot holds out 2 years early on his rookie contract and holds the team hostage from Cabo in order to get paid. Now the whole time Dak could have done it also but he did the right thing. Hoping he gets more involved in this negotiations and puts a end to it before his agent has him holding out...

phildadon86

Reaction score
If every football fan and expert in America is debating it then you know they are as well.

Especially when it’s confirmed that Jerry is constantly asking if they are sure if he is the guy.

I think the old ways of doing things are what the Jones’s will stick with.. They won’t be trendsetters.. They will follow everyone else’s lead and just cave to whatever Dak wants.

Maybe they get a 5 year deal if they are lucky. If it’s 4 or under it’s a big win for Dak’s team
Confirmed jerry is asking if they are sure? Please post a link to this

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Confirmed jerry is asking if they are sure? Please post a link to this

Jones, during the course of the 2019 season, found himself quizzing his football people in double-checking just how right the organization is in believing that Prescott merits becoming the highest-paid player in franchise history, per a report from former Cowboys scout Bryan Broaddus on 105.3 The Fan.

"Is this our guy?' reported Broaddus on Wednesday on The Fan's Shan & RJ show as the former Cowboys scout described a key inside-The-Star staff meeting question Jones would often pose.

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articl...-season-question-cowboys-staff-is-dak-our-guy

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Every team in the league is looking for “triplets”. The cowboys are not alone in that regard

You need a franchise QB and a great runner or WR and every team is looking one or the other depending on their current roster

Saints, Chiefs and Packers seem to have found theirs.

you look at great teams of the past and most of them had triplets

49ers
Cowboys (twice)
Colts (twice)
Bills
Dolphins
Steelers
Commanders

Really, only the Patriots have managed consistent excellence without all three

so, the idea that “triplets” is some kind of Jerry Jones fever dream is silly.

To quote the great David Lee Roth

“Everybody wants some. I want some too!
Everybody needs some. How ‘bout you?”
Since the introduction of the salary cap how many teams having triplets have won a Superbowl?

From 1994 to 2019 is 25 years. So 4 out of 25. That's 16%. So that triplets ideology has a 16% chance of success in today's NFL.

One only needs to emulate success to be successful. The Patriots have a 6'4" pure pocket passer and they keep a topnotch defense. Defense wins championships more times than not. And anyone debating that is silly.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The stumbling block in getting this QB deal done seems to be the term of the contract and the Cowboys do not want to find themselves back here again in 4 years. Prescott is young enough that he will most likely get another contract and they evidently fear he will improve and deliver and they will be at his mercy and the mercy of a QB league gone wild.

Well, what did SF do when they had Montana, GB when they had Favre, NE when they had Brady and KC with Smith? Got the replacement before they needed him.

This seems very simple to me in this rags to riches to rags league and windows of opportunity. Where was SF in 2018? 4-12, second worst record in the NFC and in 2019? 13-3, best record in the NFC and in the SB. One year, two different teams. Will they be able to hold that team together? Probably not but who cares? They took that one to the Big Dance.

If they're concerned about the solution with the next contract with this QB, don't be, don't even consider another contract with him. They hired a QB oriented HC, make his assignment to find the next franchise QB before this QB's contract expires because he's hitting the bricks before or when it expires. That is his priority #2.

This keeping the family together thinking has no place with successful teams. If the Niners could part with Montana, Rice and Lott and GB with Favre and NE willing to trade Brady, long term thinking has no place in today's NFL. View every player, including the Witten's, as passing through and a hired gun. Every player is expendable and replaceable by the team, not on their own.

Accept that their not going to keep the band together, it's going to be like Poco, not often the same players from album to album but great players along the way.

Now, get this done. Get all of the players either gone and replaced or renewed and the team set for the season. No hold out distractions like they had last year, get the team ready for the season, a season of nothing but the game of football, not the business of football.

There is no team in all of sports with built in opportunities for distractions like the Cowboys. The team was inconsistent last season and underachieved because of distractions. The job of any FO is to limit those, not create them. Get the football team all about football.

They do the contract when they're in the mood.

Meanwhile they get publicity in the off-season. More pub than the SB winner...

garyo1954

Reaction score
I would give Dak a 2 year deal if he is so set on a short term deal. 2 years 70 million and 40 guaranteed with 30 up front. If he wants to cash in again and wants to bet on himself then go for it. If he don’t continue to improve then he can go.

Very similar to Foles $84 million with Jacksonville where they worked in signing bonuses, roster bonuses, and workout bonuses. There is an out after 2021.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Since the introduction of the salary cap how many teams having triplets have won a Superbowl?

From 1994 to 2019 is 25 years. So 4 out of 25. That's 16%. So that triplets ideology has a 16% chance of success in today's NFL.

One only needs to emulate success to be successful. The Patriots have a 6'4" pure pocket passer and they keep a topnotch defense. Defense wins championships more times than not. And anyone debating that is silly.
Saints, Chiefs and Packers all currently have triplets and all three have won a super bowl in the last decade

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Saints, Chiefs and Packers all currently have triplets and all three have won a super bowl in the last decade
The Saints didn't win it with their triplets. The Packers didn't win it with their so-called triplets. And whether or not the Chiefs have a set of triplets is up for debate, IMO.