Look how small Bell looks out there

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I didn’t know if I should start another Dan Quinn thread, but I hope it doesn’t get merged because I don’t want this Baldy breakdown getting lost. Look at this!!! Look how small Bell looks out there!!! I knew he was undersized playing LB but this is unbelievable to watch!!

Aaron Jones is our Daddy

I actually like Bell alot. I think he needs to be in Kearse's role next year. We definitely need real LB's. Id prefer we get a quality vet. I think we need experience there

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
you had Jacklin Smith and didn't like her. we'll get them when glass neck gets back.

HanD

Reaction score
I think losing LVE hurt.. but yes the undersize LB is bad. My question is.. what should DQ have done? Who should be out there instead of Bell?
I can't find it but I thought he did a post mid season of how great bell was playing.

I like baldy breakdowns. And I agree the def scheme was terrible but bell has some great play this season as well. Could have been like Micah where a season playing undersized just wears you down. He should move back to safety and be a really good player if we can get more ilbs

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
That goal line play is just crazy. Not only that you have a 205lb Safely playing MLB, but that he is like 4 yeards off the ball, on the goal line. We need to bring in a vet big LB and draft a on ball LB. I like Eichenberg from Ohio St (reminds me of Jack Campbell whom I like last year, though he went earlier than I thought he would). Eich is projected in the 3rd to 4th round. Tackling machine, good instincts, big enough to take on blockers etc. (A real LB).
I don;t blame Bell, and I like him as a S or off ball LB.
Bell is a box Safety. You can match him up on TEs/RBs on passing downs. The fact that he was playing as an every down LB this season is mind boggling.

The entire back half of the defense was just a discombobulation. The last few games they had Kearse, basically a statue at this point, playing deep Safety.

Cmac

Reaction score
I didn’t know if I should start another Dan Quinn thread, but I hope it doesn’t get merged because I don’t want this Baldy breakdown getting lost. Look at this!!! Look how small Bell looks out there!!! I knew he was undersized playing LB but this is unbelievable to watch!!

Easy fix.....blame the QB. Seriously, Bell is clearly playing out of position, and it's being exploited. Adding more, our interior DL is being gashed from the beginning.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I get that we had injuries. But we had most of the season to find a LB to help with the run. We didn't sign a single soul.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
And Bell doesn’t have the instincts of a LB. He doesn’t attack the gap.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Quinn is another marinelli. They like light DT and safeties as LB. I know we were injured at LB but why could we not use Parsons as LB. He wasn’t getting pressure on love. D-Law was the only one I saw playing. They need to actually do FA and draft big DT and LB this year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Bell should play Kearse’s spot next season. He is the perfect linebacker safety hybrid.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Bell and Clark played well through October. But their size had everything to do with them wearing down and being less effective as the season went on. They are NOT starting quality LBers.

1time4urMind

Reaction score
I think losing LVE hurt.. but yes the undersize LB is bad. My question is.. what should DQ have done? Who should be out there instead of Bell?

Rashaan Evans, Jabril Cox, Devin Harper, Micah Parsons, Malik Jefferson, Isiah Land...

It's like they didn't want any linebackers on the roster, unless they played them out of position (Parsons).

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think a major part of the problem is we are also light at DE. We have guys like Micah and Fowler on the line.

If you’re going to go small at LB, you need bigger and stronger guys at DE. Good o-lines make mince meat of our d-line at will too often.

I want Bell in Kearse’s role. Kearse aged presidentially and looked hampered all year running around.

starfan1

Reaction score
Easy fix.....blame the QB. Seriously, Bell is clearly playing out of position, and it's being exploited. Adding more, our interior DL is being gashed from the beginning.
This^ . I know we have crap at LB and have for some time but when the Ol from the other team is essentially at the second level because our DL is average on a good day.Im not sure what your expecting.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Bell should be nice at SS next season after playing LB this season, he just has to make sure his coverage is good.

McClay needs to add 2 real deal LBs this offseason. Also, people are anointing Overshown already which is interesting because to me he's gravy right...I'm not depending on anyone the '23 draft.

vlad

Reaction score
Imho he got the linebackers he told mcclay he wanted, I’m sure if he said trade a 2nd and 5th for Roquan McClay would ante up.

Now Jerry and Stephen discount those positions somewhat.

He also could have just moved Micah to the middle.

I’m not pretending i know more than DQ or anything like that, but I’ve always wanted Micah in that wildcard position. Now Sam Williams being a bust didn’t help but that’s on DQ as well.

But Dorance more at edge, Fowler, Micah in the middle And not playing dime on the goal line imho would be the start

vlad

Reaction score
Bell should be nice at SS next season after playing LB this season, he just has to make sure his coverage is good.

McClay needs to add 2 real deal LBs this offseason. Also, people are anointing Overshown already which is interesting because to me he's gravy right...I'm not depending on anyone the '23 draft.
Feels like he’s more interested in being labeled a genius for fitting square pegs into round holes than doing sensible things when it’s been shown Time and time again not to be working.

And I’m 100% with you on Overshown, even if he was a top 20 pick that’s ludicrous to depend on

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Shout out to Bell. Dude was playing out of position, undersized, and had some good games. Was pretty effective against the screen game. Dude tried his best, I respect that. Going into the offseason last year we were lacking at LB and needed to make FA additions along with the draft. This was a management issue that resulted in them lacking personnel wise and playing a small rookie at the LB position not named Ivan Pace Jr.

Bell is one heck of a baller and he needs to go back to S. Move Parsons back to LB and draft another and get one in FA, plus have Overshown back.