Looking back at 2015 college stars

4th_and_short

Reaction score
I see that graphic and the first thing I think of is the upcoming contract extensions lol

We’ve got a nice young core that keeps getting added to with each draft class.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Man, that was a draft where I do think he goes 1st round if they redrafted but I don’t think he goes ahead of Goff, Wentz, Bosa, Zeke, Ramsey, Neal, Thomas, Hill, or Schobert. So perhaps he goes 10th or so but there are others like Deion Jones out there so who knows.

Drafts are based on need so Dak is probably a guy that sometimes goes 1st round and others doesn’t. It just depends on how everything shakes out. That was a weak QB draft after the first two in 2016 but I think only the Giants would have possibly drafted Dak in the top 10 out of those teams (knowing what they know now). I’m sure the 9ers would prefer Jimmy G over Dak and the Bears would prefer Trubisky.
I stand by Top 10 ..... you can't seriously put a S and LB ahead of a Franchise QB

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We got them all....... dare I say 4 Number 1 picks

DsqEJf5VAAEFEU0.jpg
These guys all were some of my favorite college players..... they all balled out and were on TV all the time

Dak to Mike Evans was insane
ACooper stood out even on Alabama
Zeke was a freak that came out of nowhere and took over that Buckeye team
JSmith was every where for ND

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Dak is an average to below average NFL QB. If you want to say that is a 1st round pick criteria, then by all means. But you would be out on that limb by yourself. He does some things pretty well. He can take a hit. He runs good and when he uses good technique, the throws a nice ball. But he also does a lot of things bad, he feels pressure that isn't there. His pocket awareness is pathetic. He doesn't seem to read a Defense very well at all, except when we can force them into basic coverage because of our run game. This is also the reason he does so well in the 2 minute drives, the defense is not able to really hide much, they have to get lined up and play because the O is lined up and about to snap quickly. He takes a lot of sacks that are not on the OL. I would bet at least 30-40% of the sacks this year are on Dak, not the OL play. I don't think a team in the NFL would give you a 1st for Dak right now today.

If a team were guaranteed an average NFL QB, they'd use their 1st rounder without blinking an eye.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Wrong

He has been every year..... you are just judging him on this year when took all his tools away....before Cooper

There is no debate otherwise

Oh, I absolutely think there's a debate. He played like a top of the first pick in 2016, with a 67.8 completion percentage and 104.9 rating. And he played like a fourth-round pick last year with a 62.9 completion percentage and 86.6 rating. This year, the jury is still out, but it's good to see his numbers going up lately.

I think he'll eventually settle somewhere between what he showed in 2016 and 2017. And if he can consistently achieve a ratings in the mid- to upper 90s, then he was worth a first-round pick.

That's the standard of what you should expect from a first-round pick IMO. Wentz wasn't worthy of a first-round pick in 2016, but has been worthy of it these past two years. Same for Goff. However, after rough rookie starts, both of those players are improving. I'm not really expecting Dak to be better than his rookie year because he set a high standard, but he needs to get back near that level.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Oh, I absolutely think there's a debate. He played like a top of the first pick in 2016, with a 67.8 completion percentage and 104.9 rating. And he played like a fourth-round pick last year with a 62.9 completion percentage and 86.6 rating. This year, the jury is still out, but it's good to see his numbers going up lately.

I think he'll eventually settle somewhere between what he showed in 2016 and 2017. And if he can consistently achieve a ratings in the mid- to upper 90s, then he was worth a first-round pick.

That's the standard of what you should expect from a first-round pick IMO. Wentz wasn't worthy of a first-round pick in 2016, but has been worthy of it these past two years. Same for Goff. However, after rough rookie starts, both of those players are improving. I'm not really expecting Dak to be better than his rookie year because he set a high standard, but he needs to get back near that level.
There is no debate

Starting QBs are gold in the NFL ...... even the numbers you describe in 2017 are worth a 1st

Like JJones said I wouldn't take a 1st for him right now......who would our QB be? Right now and next year

Bigdog

Reaction score
These guys all were some of my favorite college players..... they all balled out and were on TV all the time

Dak to Mike Evans was insane
ACooper stood out even on Alabama
Zeke was a freak that came out of nowhere and took over that Buckeye team
JSmith was every where for ND
Not to be nit picky Nightman because your knowledge about this stuff is a lot more than mine but didn't Mike Evans play for Texas AM. I am talking about the Wr from the Bucs. Is there another one that played on Mississippi St?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not to be nit picky Nightman because your knowledge about this stuff is a lot more than mine but didn't Mike Evans play for Texas AM. I am talking about the Wr from the Bucs. Is there another one that played on Mississippi St?
Good catch.....that was Manziel

Prescott had some big comebacks too

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is an average to below average NFL QB. If you want to say that is a 1st round pick criteria, then by all means. But you would be out on that limb by yourself. He does some things pretty well. He can take a hit. He runs good and when he uses good technique, the throws a nice ball. But he also does a lot of things bad, he feels pressure that isn't there. His pocket awareness is pathetic. He doesn't seem to read a Defense very well at all, except when we can force them into basic coverage because of our run game. This is also the reason he does so well in the 2 minute drives, the defense is not able to really hide much, they have to get lined up and play because the O is lined up and about to snap quickly. He takes a lot of sacks that are not on the OL. I would bet at least 30-40% of the sacks this year are on Dak, not the OL play. I don't think a team in the NFL would give you a 1st for Dak right now today.

Any team needing a QB would assume that their offensive scheme would be better than the Cowboys offensive scheme.

A team that expects to be top 5 or top 10 in the draft is unlikely to trade for any veteran QB, but a team that expects to be outside the top 10 in the draft would give a 1st for Dak.

There is only 1 really legit issue with Dak. He needs more space and time to physically throw the ball than a QB like Romo. Defenders in his face affect his throwing more than some other QBs.

He does NOT panic due to pressure as in "oh no I'm going to get hit". He does intentionally try to get rid of the ball earlier when there is consistent pressure in the game and this offense does not function well when the QB can't wait for receivers to get open.

His stats go down in games with greater then 40% pressure, but his stats on actual throws under pressure are not a problem. That fits with the above explanation.

His completion percentage and average per completion are only slightly below Tom Brady. Dak's only accuracy issues are when he has a defender in his face.

In 2017 the Cowboys receiving options were a disaster. Dez fell off the cliff to the point that TWill saw the #1 CB as often as Dez did. Without double coverage on Dez, defenses doubled Beasley, especially on 3rd downs. Witten's speed dropped dramatically from 2016 to 2017 and he was not fast in 2016.

The receiving options to start 2018 were not very good either. Swaim as the #1 TE. Hurns as the #1 WR. The 2nd outside WR was often Deonte Thompson with the rookie Gallup in the mix.

Then they got a legit #1 WR in Cooper and we've seen the results as a 3 game win streak.

Get a legit #1 TE next year and it will have a similar affect to adding Cooper.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Compare his numbers to Jared Goff and Carson Wentz and then you can continue to be wrong

You are out of your mind,,, Did you watch the 2016 Cowboys....Dont care about Stats.....Dak cannot make throws past 15-20yds, I would trade the Kitchen sink for a real franchise QB to build around.... DAK just drives Jerry and Jasons little yellow bus. Fits perfect with an organization that hasnt won in 20yrs

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Perhaps you missed the whole 2018 NFL draft. Let me introduce you to 1st rounders Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. Which of those 4 would you rather have than Dak? I wouldn't trade any of those 4 straight up for Dak.

By the way, I do not think defenses care much about the run in the final two minutes of the game with the opposing team needing a score.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You are out of your mind,,, Did you watch the 2016 Cowboys....Dont care about Stats.....Dak cannot make throws past 15-20yds, I would trade the Kitchen sink for a real franchise QB to build around.... DAK just drives Jerry and Jasons little yellow bus. Fits perfect with an organization that hasnt won in 20yrs
Wrong again.... he is 28-15 as our starter with a 94.9 QB Rating

You don't like stats because they refute your whole argument

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Cooper, Elliott and Smith (top 10 type talent all of them) all being young and on the same team is just nuts. I loved all three players, not considering Smith’s injury.

I still can’t believe the Raiders traded Cooper. Dude is special. He’s sooo much better than any WR coming in the draft this season... Dallas got lucky as hell. You almost never see a WR with his elite traits offered in a trade... particularly not one who is 24 and a hard worker who keeps his head down and just wants to do his job.

He’s such a game breaker.

Just mind boggling what the raiders did.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Good catch.....that was Manziel

Prescott had some big comebacks too
Yes he did. I just want to see more consistency out of him. I think the Cowboys should play out his rookie contract and then pay accordingly if they feel he is a franchise QB. By then they should know.