Looking back at 2015 college stars

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Dak is an average to below average NFL QB. If you want to say that is a 1st round pick criteria, then by all means. But you would be out on that limb by yourself. He does some things pretty well. He can take a hit. He runs good and when he uses good technique, the throws a nice ball. But he also does a lot of things bad, he feels pressure that isn't there. His pocket awareness is pathetic. He doesn't seem to read a Defense very well at all, except when we can force them into basic coverage because of our run game. This is also the reason he does so well in the 2 minute drives, the defense is not able to really hide much, they have to get lined up and play because the O is lined up and about to snap quickly. He takes a lot of sacks that are not on the OL. I would bet at least 30-40% of the sacks this year are on Dak, not the OL play. I don't think a team in the NFL would give you a 1st for Dak right now today.
Great post you read like the write from the scouts prior to his draft. Nothing has changed with Dak since college and he was hardly a "star" in college.

Falco78

Reaction score
You also have to keep in mind the other QB's have this thing we do not called a real coaching staff...

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Guess you're forgetting the 40 yard bomb to Gallup.

You are completely missing the point. Folks say Dak can't throw deep when that's just false. He can throw deep but in Garrett's offense that's just not what they do, didn't mean Dak can't throw deep.

My problem isn’t his “deep” passing game. It’s the 10-20 yards where he is below league average. You can almost count on 2 hands how many passes he’s attempted there and in the middle of the field and we are in what week 11-12? The sample size for his deep passing game is very small, so that was my point . Using his small sample size in the deep passing game is really not doing him any service here. If anything trying to inflate his 1 or 2 passes over 11-12 weeks isn’t the way to prove it I guess is my point. Needs to be more consistent which you’d expect from a 3rd player IMO.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
My problem isn’t his “deep” passing game. It’s the 10-20 yards where he is below league average. You can almost count on 2 hands how many passes he’s attempted there and in the middle of the field and we are in what week 11-12? The sample size for his deep passing game is very small, so that was my point . Using his small sample size in the deep passing game is really not doing him any service here. If anything trying to inflate his 1 or 2 passes over 11-12 weeks isn’t the way to prove it I guess is my point. Needs to be more consistent which you’d expect from a 3rd player IMO.
Trying to say he only has 1 or 2 of a certain pass is the real problem, well from side the fact he doesn't have a coach that's able to develop and teach him. Add to the garbage playbook he has to run. Like I said before and it's facts, Dak can throw any pass you need him too, this myth he can't throw a certain pass is a myth.

However I do agree with him being more consistent but let's not forget he only has 2 full seasons under his belt and has never had a losing season

kapolani

Reaction score
Dak is an average to below average NFL QB. If you want to say that is a 1st round pick criteria, then by all means. But you would be out on that limb by yourself. He does some things pretty well. He can take a hit. He runs good and when he uses good technique, the throws a nice ball. But he also does a lot of things bad, he feels pressure that isn't there. His pocket awareness is pathetic. He doesn't seem to read a Defense very well at all, except when we can force them into basic coverage because of our run game. This is also the reason he does so well in the 2 minute drives, the defense is not able to really hide much, they have to get lined up and play because the O is lined up and about to snap quickly. He takes a lot of sacks that are not on the OL. I would bet at least 30-40% of the sacks this year are on Dak, not the OL play. I don't think a team in the NFL would give you a 1st for Dak right now today.

So, what professional football team are you running?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
In retrospect he’s a number 1 pick. If we redid that draft today, he goes first day.

Exactly. 31 Other GMs are asking themselves why they missed the boat on Dak, not drafting him in the 1st, let alone the 2nd, or 3rd round. And the GMs are asking their scouts the same question.

The Cowboys lucked into drafting a 1st round QB talent in the 4th round.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Trying to say he only has 1 or 2 of a certain pass is the real problem, well from side the fact he doesn't have a coach that's able to develop and teach him. Add to the garbage playbook he has to run. Like I said before and it's facts, Dak can throw any pass you need him too, this myth he can't throw a certain pass is a myth.

However I do agree with him being more consistent but let's not forget he only has 2 full seasons under his belt and has never had a losing season

Well when arguing about his deep pass I wouldn’t use “bombs” it’s not really accurate here. If winning seasons was just a QB stat you’d be correct, however it’s a team sport. He should have far more completions of “bombs” than one 12 games into the his 3rd season.

I don’t think people are arguing “arm” strength here. Most people like me are arguing he isn’t very good in the 10-20 yard range. I know he can make those passes, but he won’t pull the trigger and when he does he’s below league average. You have to ask yourself why? Physical talent is there, but he lacks pocket presence, accuracy in the 10-20 yard range, doesn’t seem to see the field like he should, misses open players for TD’s or big gains routinely. Yes, other QBs have the same issues, but I’m not talking about them, I’m strictly speaking on this QB for this team.

Everyone wants to compare him to Alex Smith, but what did Andy do? Dumped him for a better thrower of the football who was willing to stretch the field and it’s paying off. So yes as an SEC guy I’d move on from this QB as soon as a more talented prospect is available. This offense will be limited until that happens.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Great post you read like the write from the scouts prior to his draft. Nothing has changed with Dak since college and he was hardly a "star" in college.
He was the star QB on the #1 ranked team in the NCAA into late Nov...... he was a stud

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Well when arguing about his deep pass I wouldn’t use “bombs” it’s not really accurate here. If winning seasons was just a QB stat you’d be correct, however it’s a team sport. He should have far more completions of “bombs” than one 12 games into the his 3rd season.

I don’t think people are arguing “arm” strength here. Most people like me are arguing he isn’t very good in the 10-20 yard range. I know he can make those passes, but he won’t pull the trigger and when he does he’s below league average. You have to ask yourself why? Physical talent is there, but he lacks pocket presence, accuracy in the 10-20 yard range, doesn’t seem to see the field like he should, misses open players for TD’s or big gains routinely. Yes, other QBs have the same issues, but I’m not talking about them, I’m strictly speaking on this QB for this team.

Everyone wants to compare him to Alex Smith, but what did Andy do? Dumped him for a better thrower of the football who was willing to stretch the field and it’s paying off. So yes as an SEC guy I’d move on from this QB as soon as a more talented prospect is available. This offense will be limited until that happens.
I disagree and not sure what games y'all are watching

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
That is not what was said..... I said he has performed just as well or better.... not that they are unhappy with their picks

But we should be ecstatic about getting Dak and Zeke instead of just Dak

15 teams would take Dak for a 1st right now
The real deal is if they'd trade Dak + Zeke + Jaylon Smith for Wentz or Goff. We didn't trade our future for Dak like the Eagles and Rams did. Not that it hurt those teams to lose those picks but had we moved up to get Wentz or Goff, we absolutely wouldn't have had Zeke and it's questionable if we would have taken Jaylon.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was the star QB on the #1 ranked team in the NCAA into late Nov...... he was a stud

How many studs with no off the field issues are typically drafted as a comp 4th round pick almost 5th rounder?

He is currently 24th in completed air yards. He lacks ability to accurately get the ball downfield when needed, seems to have trouble going through progressions at times, bad footwork and or mechanics, holds the ball way too long and can't seem to throw the ball on time on longer routes. On average Dak throws the ball 5.4 yards where Goff throws for 7.2 yards in the air. How many plays does he make with his arm where you go, now that is a fantastic throw....ain't many and you might have to go back to 2016. How many good QB's pass for multiple 0 touchdown games in a season? For Dak to be average he has to use his legs.

JustChip

Reaction score
Did you watch the 2016 Cowboys....Dont care about Stats.....Dak cannot make throws past 15-20yds

Wrong. For one, go watch the Steelers game that year. Yes, Zeke got a bunch on a screen pass, but he hit Dez deep as well. And last year against the Giants in NJ, Dak hit Dez on a deep sideline inside the 5 that Dez promptly dropped. Be careful about absolute statements like "cannot make throws past 15-20 yards" when there is evidence to the contrary.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
These guys all were some of my favorite college players..... they all balled out and were on TV all the time

Dak to Mike Evans was insane
ACooper stood out even on Alabama
Zeke was a freak that came out of nowhere and took over that Buckeye team
JSmith was every where for ND

I agree with everything except Dak to Mike Evans.... Evans went to Texas A&M... Now Manziel to Evens.. that was insane. :)