Looking back at 2015 college stars

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak is undoubtedly at the very least the 3rd best QB in his draft but isn't a number one pick? lol...

People's disdain at the kid for taking Romo's job is unreal.
Some of you people on here are lazy as hell with that Dak dislike equals you like Romo. Please that happened years ago stop being lazy and come up with an actual realistic reason.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You are out of your mind,,, Did you watch the 2016 Cowboys....Dont care about Stats.....Dak cannot make throws past 15-20yds, I would trade the Kitchen sink for a real franchise QB to build around.... DAK just drives Jerry and Jasons little yellow bus. Fits perfect with an organization that hasnt won in 20yrs
I'm guessing that was Cooper Rush throwing 64 yard TD bombs to Austin. Or those bombs he threw to Butler last season.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Perhaps you missed the whole 2018 NFL draft. Let me introduce you to 1st rounders Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. Which of those 4 would you rather have than Dak? I wouldn't trade any of those 4 straight up for Dak.

By the way, I do not think defenses care much about the run in the final two minutes of the game with the opposing team needing a score.
I like Dak and support Dak but I would take Baker. The other 3 not so much

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't call Dak a star, or a number 1 pick.

But the other 3, sure.

Yeah it's the Sesame Street 'one of these things is doing his own thing' game.

You're talking about 3 players who had top 5 grades in the draft (Jaylon obviously pre-injury) and a guy who was a consensus day 3 pick.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Any team needing a QB would assume that their offensive scheme would be better than the Cowboys offensive scheme.

A team that expects to be top 5 or top 10 in the draft is unlikely to trade for any veteran QB, but a team that expects to be outside the top 10 in the draft would give a 1st for Dak.

There is only 1 really legit issue with Dak. He needs more space and time to physically throw the ball than a QB like Romo. Defenders in his face affect his throwing more than some other QBs.

He does NOT panic due to pressure as in "oh no I'm going to get hit". He does intentionally try to get rid of the ball earlier when there is consistent pressure in the game and this offense does not function well when the QB can't wait for receivers to get open.

His stats go down in games with greater then 40% pressure, but his stats on actual throws under pressure are not a problem. That fits with the above explanation.

His completion percentage and average per completion are only slightly below Tom Brady. Dak's only accuracy issues are when he has a defender in his face.

In 2017 the Cowboys receiving options were a disaster. Dez fell off the cliff to the point that TWill saw the #1 CB as often as Dez did. Without double coverage on Dez, defenses doubled Beasley, especially on 3rd downs. Witten's speed dropped dramatically from 2016 to 2017 and he was not fast in 2016.

The receiving options to start 2018 were not very good either. Swaim as the #1 TE. Hurns as the #1 WR. The 2nd outside WR was often Deonte Thompson with the rookie Gallup in the mix.

Then they got a legit #1 WR in Cooper and we've seen the results as a 3 game win streak.

Get a legit #1 TE next year and it will have a similar affect to adding Cooper.

I would buy the scheme argument a lot more if there were not wide open WR and TE running all over the field the first half of this season and he was either taking a sack or dumping it off. And as far as 2017 goes, Dez, Wit, Beas and company were just fine until Zeke went out, then you are saying they just all disappeared? Don't buy it. And he DOES panic in the pocket, call it what you want but when he runs in circles and gets sacked or he makes a piss poor throw because he panics when there is no pressure, I don't know what you call it, but its bad QB play in my book.

Now over the last few games, he is playing better, much better and I hope the light has come on for him. Looks like he will be around for awhile, so for all our sake I hope he turns into a HOF QB with 15 SB wins.

But I will say this.. I would not trade a first for him if he was on another team. I think any team that does/would is rather stupid. You get a qB with his skill set all over the draft board, no need to spend a first for a game manager QB.

Nexx

Reaction score
This team with Baker Mayfield would be dangerous.

I mean we may win the whole damn thing dangerous.

Any really good QB and this team is all the way dangerous. With Dak we are I hope we can make the playoffs and maybe get one win dangerous.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Perhaps you missed the whole 2018 NFL draft. Let me introduce you to 1st rounders Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. Which of those 4 would you rather have than Dak? I wouldn't trade any of those 4 straight up for Dak.

By the way, I do not think defenses care much about the run in the final two minutes of the game with the opposing team needing a score.
You might not make that trade, but pretty much every GM in the league would. Dak has game manager / bus driver as his ceiling. Those guys you mentioned are expected to mature into franchise QBs. Doesn’t mean they will, but when you go QB in the first round you are swinging for the fences. Not trying to stretch a single into a double which is what Dak is.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I'm guessing that was Cooper Rush throwing 64 yard TD bombs to Austin. Or those bombs he threw to Butler last season.

Not to be an arse, but it was only 1 64 yard bomb not multiple, also wasn’t that week 2? I mean it’s what going on week 12? I mean talking about 1 bomb from week 2 seems rather silly to make a point, no?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Not to be an arse, but it was only 1 64 yard bomb not multiple, also wasn’t that week 2? I mean it’s what going on week 12? I mean talking about 1 bomb from week 2 seems rather silly to make a point, no?
It does seem silly that's why he added plays from last year. These dudes reach so much it isn't funny. Think about it why do you have to reach back to last year if the deep pass was truly part of his arsenal most of the time. Its been 10/11 weeks since that play and I think the closest we've got to that might've been that Cooper play where the ball went 30yards. That's crazy to me in this nfl for that to be the case.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
It does seem silly that's why he added plays from last year. These dudes reach so much it isn't funny. Think about it why do you have to reach back to last year if the deep pass was truly part of his arsenal most of the time. Its been 10/11 weeks since that play and I think the closest we've got to that might've been that Cooper play where the ball went 30yards. That's crazy to me in this nfl for that to be the case.

I agree. However what’s more alarming is the 10-20 yard range he’s below league average. I Was looking at the nexgen stats that were posted in another thread. Also it’s crazy how this QB just avoids the middle of the field. I mean it could be by design, but why would scheme all your pass routes to the outside? There are legit concerns here about him being a long term solution IMO.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Guess you're forgetting the 40 yard bomb to Gallup.

You are completely missing the point. Folks say Dak can't throw deep when that's just false. He can throw deep but in Garrett's offense that's just not what they do, didn't mean Dak can't throw deep.

rynochop

Reaction score
So are all these great draft pics on Jerry or is it only the busts? I always forget

waving monkey

Reaction score
Dak is my man but he didnt bring the skill set to warrant a first round. That doesn't mean he cant preform
at a level to get to the super bowl with the right talent around him.